Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecooldude33

thecooldude33 Active Member

Normal creasing for relatively new park avenue shoes?

Hello all,

I purchased a pair of park avenues a few months ago. Great shoes, but I was wondering if this creasing is normal with the wear? I probably have worn them out under a dozen times. I am sure the shoe fits me (I am a size 10D) and I use shoe trees. I have included a picture of the sole to give you an idea of the wear and tear I put on the shoe. Please note that I took the pictures under very unflattering lighting conditions, so the creases do look a lot worse than they would with normal daylight.

I appreciate your help.

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

Correct... Lasts aren't perfectly flat across the bottom, to accommodate the natural "roll" of the footstep. Imagine having to break-in a 12 iron sole to your natural steps...

With regard to the similarities between the Webgem referenced and the Shelton, I believe it is the same upper patterning. The noticeable differences are the split-reversed welt and natural sole. I think the split-reversed welt helps make the shoe more casual (i.e. McTavish)

3. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

Assuming that an intern writes Paul's responses=tugging on Santa's beard.
    Paul responding directly=the beard doesn't budge...[​IMG]

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

They look a little dry. Have you conditioned the leather at all?

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

What do you base this on? You are asking the most basic questions in the Alden & shoe care thread, calling yourself a novice. Yet you come here and answer questions that are laughably inaccurate.

For instance:

You surely don't need validation from me or anyone. You are absolutely correct. It is not dye, Renovateur won't remove dye from leather.

6. calidist

calidist Senior member

Maybe we can do a small group order? [​IMG]

7. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

he said he is seeing unevenness on shell cordovan, not leather. they are different. shell cordovan dye shows uneveness fairly easily whereas not calf leather. as i originally said, most likely the unevenness is the dye, not wax.

you would do well to read through this - http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...s-re-dyed-lighter-shell-cordovan-(Lots-o-pix)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

8. AllenEdmondsCEO

AllenEdmondsCEO Active Member

Tough crowd!

It's a long story for this late. A summary: a little lift in back is fine, even good . Too much is hard on your foot under the arch. Flat appeals more on the shelf.

Best wiahes,
    Paul

9. ylkim30

ylkim30 Well-Known Member

Question about shoe care:

I bought a pair of chili Regent Streets and a tube of AE Premium Shoe Polish in Chili. The Regent Street has smooth burnished calf leather around the cap while the vamp is grained calf.

Is it ok to use the premium shoe polish on the whole shoe or should I only use it on the part that is made of smooth calf? What should I put on the grained calf?

10. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

mediahound, you must misunderstood my original post. I said uneven polishing done by factory not uneven cordovan dye colour. This matter had been discussed by few other AE shell owners so I wanted to learn from their experience.

And why would i get disappointed? I knew your comment wasn't correct on renovateur romoving dye but I didn't want to be rude and start flame.

11. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

right, but after using 1/3 of a can of Reno on the same shoe, and buffing and brushing the heck out of it, and still seeing uneveness in the shell cordovan, do you really think it's the polish that is uneven, and not the shell cordovan dye? i suppose that is a possibility.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

12. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

I'm going to be the guy who doesn't go along with the general consensus. If you like these, then by all means get them. The WebGems seem to frequently be a one-shot deal. First off, they're on special for a super low price, so right off the bat, you're getting a great deal on first quality shoes as these are less $ than most seconds. Second, just the fact that you like them, probably means that you don't mind being the "guy with blue shoes". If you're ok in your job, you're not going to lose it because of your shoes. People will for the most part just accept them. You may get a few of the assholes with their stupid bowling/golfing shoe comments, but I can guarantee that you will many more "nice shoes" comments. I also believe that that some of the b/g comment makers are secretly just jealous that they don't have the balls[ to wear exceedingly nifty footwear! When I was a lot newer to the joys of AE, I would check out the WebGems, and I'd think, well, I can always get those later or that it was more important to get basics first. But many of these only pop up once, there is no later. I have a lot more regrets for NOT getting a WebGem that I liked, while I haven't regretted a single WebGem that I have purchased. I'm speaking from experience. This is probably your only chance for this combo--IF YOU LIKE THEM, GET THEM! The basics will always be available, these won't, especially at this low price.

13. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

^Thanks for the input frogwash. I wasn't too keen to say it out loud but I was leaning the same way. I REALLY like those shoes, and at $199 for a bona fide pair of Allen Edmonds, I'm having a hard time resisting. I'm gonna try to see if I can stretch my budget to get the Webgems as well as a pair of dedicated AE dress shoes.

With regards to the Webgems in general, does AE have a limited production number? I understand that orders are open through May 26 but if I wait too long is there a chance that they will have already filled their quota for this shoe? The reason I ask is that I won't be in a place where I can responsibly drop $200+ until the end of next month. I'll be cutting it close to the deadline for these shoes.

14. spluto

spluto Member

thx for your reply, it make me feel a lot better

15. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any quota of sort as I've never heard of anyone ordering and not getting them. I believe so long as the special is running they take orders and then make them to order. One of the really cools aspects of the WebGems is knowing that you are buying hand crafted Allen Edmonds shoes and the pair you are getting was made specifically for you ; and that you are getting them for $199 is just icing on the cake! :slayer:

Also, if by chance, you are short of funds at the deadline, order them on the credit card anyways. They don't charge your card until they ship, so you have a little bit of slack as to cash flow.

You may want to check out the Shoebank also. I recently ordered my first "seconds" and while I was able to find a tiny "flaw" on one pair, the other pair looked perfect. You should be able to easily find a pair that looks good to meet your dress shoe needs, also at discounted prices. Besides, the flaw I found on mine was less than normal wear just from how badly I walk. :happy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.