1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Sometimes they do go away, but not always. I would send them back for another pair myself. There was a discussion a couple of months ago about this and sometimes they do go away. But not always...

2. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

I would exchange them - you will be keeping the shoes for a long time, it isn't worth risking the lump not going away.

On a somewhat related note:

Just to add a little fuel to the fire, I received a pair of Walnut Strands that AE pricematched to the Nordstrom's sale. Interestingly, they came with a return shipping label to Nordstrom, not AE, so I'm thinking that this pair was specifically made for the sale. The quality of these shoes were terrible, and I will be returning them. They were definitely second quality shoes - for example, the toe cap on the right side was about 1/4-1/2" larger than on the left side. Immediately apparent, before I even put the shoes on! The stitching is also very poor, unlike the pictures I've seen for Strands in the past. Definitely a second quality shoe, but there was no stamp on the sole to indicate it as such.

3. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Actually, whenever I've bought from another store, the label is always to return to the store and not AE. Even Sherman Brothers does this.

2 people like this.
  4. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

I purchased the shoes from AE, but they came with a return label to Nordstrom. That is why I think they were made specifically for the anniversary sale at Nordstrom.

5. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

6. crizq0

crizq0 Member

Thanks a bunch for the info. Glad I am not the only one experiencing this. I will exchange this for another one.

7. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Thanks, Shiny. Looking at this shoe, I don't know what AE marketing/design departments are thinking. If they were to bring this shoe in as a part of their permanent line-up (which, as far as I am concerned, needs to be revised and shrunk drastically, but this is a separate issue) it would be selling like a hot pie.

9. Minjin

Minjin New Member

How very coincidental. I was going to post nearly this exact post last night and didn't have time. I too ordered a couple pairs of Walnut Strands. In my case, the "couple" end up being 5 pairs (to the tune of nearly 1200 bucks) from Nordstrom since I had no idea what size would fit me. The sizes were 8D, 8.5C, 8.5D, 9C, 9D. Still waiting on the Cs. Got the Ds already and while I normally fit 8.5D (hence the centering at that size), the 9D fits me the best so far (with the thicker Thorlo comfort socks that I typically wear). Anyway, while I was comparing the 8.5D and 9D in my house I noticed that the 9Ds slipped on the carpet every single time I took a step. When I looked at the bottom, I saw the same thing you did: [​IMG] The dark sole being the slippery one from the 9D and the light sole being the not slippery one from the 8.5D. Anyone ever see this before?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

My new fifth streets from 6pm came with the darker soles. They match of course, but does anyone know the difference, if any from the two soles?

I actually like the darker ones better, maybe cuz they're new to me, being that all my other AEs are lighter. Of course this is strictly visual perspective, as I have yet to take the fifth streets on they're maiden voyage.

11. zchen

zchen Senior member

after I dropped them off at UPS it occured to me that I should have taken more pictures. I was rather occupied with at the time though, so only ended up with this one.
    [​IMG]

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Here are a few pictues of the Fifth Streets.

Hard to tell in the Pics, but I did condition, Polish, and Coat a thin layer of Neutral Wax on them Before Wearing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Which Nordstrom store or SA offered you a price match from Amazon?

David

14. David Copeland

If you are professionally fitted in a Nordstrom store and they sell you shoes, they will honor a 6 month refund or exchange guarantee after you have worn them if the size causes issues with your feet. I don't know of any other AE retailer who does that.

David

15. David Copeland

I don't believe the lump will go away. The cork does form to your foot, but should not have a lump in it.

I suggest you exchange it.

David

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Is anyone thinking of buying the Hannover wholecut? I'm in the market for a new black shoe, and am considering this, along with Flatiron or Rutledge (3 last does my foot right)...

17. ochong

ochong Active Member

Hi All. I signed up to share my experience with acquiring my first two pairs of AEs.

The Nordstrom sale has pushed me over the edge to giving AE shoes a try. I've always loved the look of the Walnut Strands and I was in need of a better quality black dress shoe so naturally the Park Ave fit the bill.

I tried them on several weeks ago working out my size (9.5D), but by the time the sale rolled around they only had a pair of the Black Park Aves in stock and unfortunately it had glue or something on a part of the welt stitching so I had them ordered to my home along with a pair of the Walnut Strands.

The shoes arrived pretty quickly, maybe 3 business days later. The Park Aves were clearly new as they had never been laced and they still had the tissue paper in the toe box. I gave them a look over and they are in perfect first condition. The Strands on the other hand had definitely been tried on as there was some scuffing on the soles and the shoes were laced. Additionally, the toe medallion wasn't completely punched and some of the edges on the leather brogueing were rough and were sticking out away from the shoe face. It looked like the stitching was a bit off and that caused the problem. Almost certainly shoes that someone had returned. Anyway, fairly disappointing for what should be firsts.

I returned to my Nordstrom store, pointed out the issues I saw, and they happily returned them and ordered a new pair for me. Again the shoes arrived quickly, but it was also clear that these were also likely returned shoes. They had some strange burnishing on the right shoe toe cap and the welt stitching was very off center and in one place nearly not in the welt at all. The stitching issue was very noticeable and so this pair had to go back as well. No problem again as Nordstrom lives up to their reputation of excellent customer service.

Given that I have three AE stores within 15 miles of me (Boston area) I decided it was time to go direct. I called up one of the stores and verified that they would price match Nordstrom. Yesterday I went over and was sized again as a 9.5D by a very helpful employee. They had just received a single pair of the Walnut Strands in my size that day. Sadly they had a strong dark burnishing line set back half an inch from the toe cap. I figured it would probably fade with some wear and polishing, but decided to roll the dice and a pair is being sent to me direct from the factory.

Despite the hassle in acquiring a pair of the Walnut Strands I'm still excited to hopefully have some to call my own in a few days time. The look is just awesome.

I plan to wear them with the Walnut Manistee belt and a grey linen suit to a summer wedding in just a few weeks.

TLDR - Nordstrom's got me a perfect condition pair of Black Park Aves, but through two separate orders I ended up with what I strongly suspect are returned Walnut Strands with various issues. Decided to go directly to an Allen Edmonds store and now have a pair coming directly from the factory.

18. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Hi, my first post and I just wanted to say how much I love my walnut McAllisters since picking them up a few months ago. I already have bourbon Strand, a dark brown Fifth Avenue and black Park Avenue on my wish list, maybe even the Dalton or Fifth Street haha. Here is a few pics of my first pair of AE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. jonesle7

jonesle7 Active Member

First Post....former lurker. New poster.

Love following this shoe appreciation thread!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  20. rc121

rc121 Senior member

It has crossed my mind, I will likely try and hold out until the outlets get some seconds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.