1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

It is your obligation to post thorough (well focused) pics of the shoes, once they arrive. Congrats...

2. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

neumoras?

3. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Congrats. That said, I just don't get the monk strap obsession.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Me neither. Nor do I ever see anybody wearing them.

5. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

There's one guy in my building who does, and I think they're something only a select few can pull off.

6. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Neumok comes in snuff suede.

[​IMG]

7. JubeiSpiegel

They're basically just dandy loafers with straps, but I'm a fan. Give it some time, you might start to like them too...

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I used to wear monk straps quite regularly about 10 years ago. Then I got away from it. I just tried on a pair of monk straps this week from that other American bootmaker. Didn't like the fit, otherwise I would have kept them.

9. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

I don't really like the look of single monks. But double....whole new ballgame.

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

These are on my shopping list in suede and red leather, providing I can find a pair that fit.

11. jcrewsmcknight

jcrewsmcknight Senior member

Original Mora.

True story.

12. katch

katch Senior member

13. JubeiSpiegel

Check the Boston fit when you get the shoes, some people have trouble with the slender toe box. Good haul though, enjoy your shoes :happy:

14. katch

katch Senior member

I was more concerned with it being a monk strap, not having enough support and not being able to lace them up tighter. I'm a 9.5D in 5th Aves. Worst case is I exchange for a 9.

Thanks for your input. I really nope those McNeils fit well. They are really hot.

15. JubeiSpiegel

There should be 3 notches on each strap, should help adjust the fit.

16. katch

katch Senior member

Right, but like most of you I am particular about fit. I would like to "fill out the shoe" or else I notice a ton of creases. I would like to use the middle hole on the strap so the strap doesn't look long and sloppy. Crazy i guess.

17. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

My experience with the Boston: I tried it on in store, liked it, liked the fit, purchased. I wore them once and they were the most ill-fitting, uncomfortable shoes I'd ever walked in. I ended up getting rid of them.

18. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

From what I understand, technically those are not balmorals, but don't know if siniquezu was looking for Suede balmorals or just Oxfords.

The Quintons are suede oxfords too.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  19. JubeiSpiegel

From what i understand technically they are balmorals. :slapfight: Oxford / balmoral refers to the same thing, a dress shoe with closed lacing. Both acceptable terms when referring to this style... :teach:

Maybe you meant to say blutcher / derby, with would be a different style shoe.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  20. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I have a dilemma. I need (well maybe want is a better term...) a longwing or wingtip to add to the rotation. I actually like the non sleek Macneil and had my heart set on my first shell shoe. So I had a local AE shop order in a pair in 11D to try on but they didn't fit, too snug. So I had him order an 11E in burgundy shell and for shits and grins I had him order the Williams in 11E as well so I could compare the two.

I'm wondering which would give me more mileage. Note, I have the cabernet brown Tresana so I have a sleek brogue shoe for business dress. I find the Tresana doesn't work that well with casual attire. A shoe like the Kenilworth, OTOH does double duty quite well and since I travel twice a month it works well for me (trips are typically 1-2 nights). Therefore I can bring just one pair of shoes for business attire during the day and chinos/denim at night.

For this reason, the Macneil seemed like the perfect choice. It's not sleek at all so it will work well with both business and casual attire. However, the leather on the new Independance Line really is nice but I wonder if the dark brown Williams is just too similar to the cabernet brown Tresana and I'm better off with the Macneil.

Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.