Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dugan

Dugan Well-Known Member

Hmm.....I think I'll call and see if I can special order the Jeffs in cordovan. They've said they would do other models in cordovan before, but not sure about the independence collection.

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Can we surmise that you are ashamed of the fact that you need to manufacture in the Dominican Republic, but it's a business reality that you have been forced to contend with? Could this be why it is not really publicized?

What about offering more expensive versions that are made 100% made in the USA? A lot of people would probably be willing to pay more for that. It's not all just about low cost. There is a huge market in the USA and abroad currently for American made 'heritage' craftsmanship. Not being able to know whether or not a particular Allen Edmonds shoe has been fully made in the USA or not (even if it was) seems like a real detriment.

3. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

You may want to consider referring to it as a shell McAllister instead of Jefferson when you order, as it might end up costing less. As I understand it, part of the markup of the Independence line comes from its better calf uppers and special outsole. Once you replace the uppers with shell and the sole (presumably) with J. Rendenbach's, there are only a few remaining differences that I'm aware of:

1. "Lined premium full-grain aged calfskin leather upper with ultra-soft lambskin lining"
    2. "Bi-color sole with wheeled edges and bi-color heel"
    3. "brass nails in the heel and a brass vintage Allen Edmonds nameplate on the outsole"
    4. The Jefferson doesn't have perfing or pinking around the throat of the shoe like the McAllister does.

4. zchen

zchen Senior member

Yes, they were. Check the 2000 catalog here on Page 22, lists Dundee in 3601 Black Calf, 3631 Brogue Suede, 3661 Chestnut Burnished Calf, and 3671 Merlot Burnished Calf

5. Dugan

Dugan Well-Known Member

Hmm, interesting thought. Two of the features I like about the Jefferson are the wheeled edge and violin style sole. I hadn't considered the sole that normally comes on their shell shoes. Thanks for the input.

6. trig

trig Senior member

Good grief. Please just stop.

If you ever took the time to even read the business journal article you posted as a link when you started this hullabaloo, you would have read within the first couple paragraphs that one reason for the need for expansion to the DR was due to the lack of people possessing the hand-sewing skills necessary and the inability to find/recruit people willing to learn the trade. Perhaps this is just my naiveté believing this to be true. But it seems rather logical and quite plausible.

As for your final point, I'm pretty sure the only person this has affected is you, and I'm not even sure how much in regards to your purchasing decisions. But the lack of knowledge whether a shoe is fully "made" in the USA or not is not a "real detriment".

Discourse is welcome and all, as we're all adults capable of handling differing opinions, but this has started reaching a point where it seems less about an issue and more about hearing yourself speak or bathing in the attn.

/rant

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Can we all stop feeding the Mediahound troll? The more you feed him, the more he posts.

8. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

No, this is the worst analogy ever: "HAND-WELTING IS GRANGAARD'S WATERGATE"

Media Hound proves the adage that there are some people who would rather climb a tree to act like an asshole than stand on the ground and act like a decent human being.

CH

ReplyQuote Multi

9. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Thanks to too-many-to-mention SF members help in sizing, I just ordered a pair of McAllister Bourbon taking advantage of the current sales. Here's hoping they work out. :)

Not really a fan of the dark/black edging. Probably would sand paper them and dress them dark brown.

On the other hand, I placed the order before 11 am CST yesterday morning. According to their website, orders placed before then would ship same day. However, when I went online for order status this morning, it appeared that they had not been shipped :fu:

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Hey, I'm not trying to curtail the discussion. I'm just pointing out what should be obvious to all the self-righteous types looking to jump down your throat: every time they do that, they become part of what they perceive to be 'the problem'. It's not like I expected them to get it (see how many more pages of 'stop talking about this!' we have had?) - because frankly, if someone can't see this for themselves, painting a picture probably won't help.

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I think that is an equally apt depiction of all those who continue to repond to his posts, while at the same time complaining that they want discussion of the subject to end.

I believe they are discontinued. Thanks, and sorry.

12. snwbdr94

snwbdr94 Active Member

If the funds allow you to get one, I would! The pictures earlier in the thread is what sold me on mine. Mine is on the skinny side of things and noticed that the wider shoe is in stock. Going to order that one and see if it fits better. Also to make things worse (or better?), I'm very tempted to get the Berkshire now as well. I need your help folks!

13. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

They were $299 and fairly limited from the Cleveland AE store. Stay on this forum and you'll discover more and more deals! SF has cost me about $1000 and I'm sure it will continue to do so.

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Looking great as always GOP! You do have a knack for getting a great shine on all of your shoes. And yes I would bet there is more shell in your future ;-)
    Now that is some great looking shell, and a well thought out collection! Looking forward very much to your completing the rainbow and the pictures that will follow.
    Like others I have both, well kind of. I have the Strands in walnut shell but they are dark enough that the brown Strands would be redundant for me. I also would pick up the Strands first.

[​IMG]
    Walnut Strands in center. I need to update a picture soon they have gotten darker as they age of course.

[​IMG]
    And Jefferson which is a great shoe also. They each have their place in rotation.

The Strand is a very unique design which I like, a lot. If you lean toward the classic wingtip design the Cambridge is the McAllister\Jefferson in shell. It is available in burgundy and black but you could ask for a custom order in brown. I would still do the Strand in brown shell however. And get the Cambridge in Burgundy:
    [​IMG]
    The Cambridge is my favorite wingtip. If I had to pick one that is...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.