• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Copeland

Reaction score
What is a Shell Shoe?

When I called AE today, they could not really explain it - except to say they are starting to offer more shell shoes which have the color dye imbued in the leather rather than dyeing the leather after the construction of the shoe is underway.

Still confused . . .

Any pictures?

David Copeland

Reaction score
Salve Septimus Serevus -

The DR work conditions are excellent, as good as in Wisconsin only with a lot better weather right now and a fantastic company softball team.
I would not expect less from Allen Edwards - and neither would I expect less from Costco when I buy their electronics and Kirland clothing made in Mexico and China - for Costco will not sell goods from anywhere on the planet where there is a hint of labor issues. Besides, I suspect AE and Costco pay better in local wages in other countries.

jd13jd13

Reaction score

What is a Shell Shoe?

When I called AE today, they could not really explain it - except to say they are starting to offer more shell shoes which have the color dye imbued in the leather rather than dyeing the leather after the construction of the shoe is underway.

Still confused . . .

Any pictures?

Shell Cordovan is a type of leather made from horse. AE sources it from Horween.
More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan
http://horween.com/leathers/shell-cordovan/

PaulGrangaardCR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hi everyone, quick question, how far into the toe box should the toes go? 

trying to get a good fit on the 5 last is giving me fits, sent back a pair that i ordered in my usual size but felt it was too long, now I'm second guessing myself.

I'd go and get measured but the nearest brick and mortar is far :-(

MN - This is a great question. Feet differ significantly in shape and form. You want your shoes to fit you well from heel to the ball of your foot. The ball of the foot is the key spot. If your shoe's widest point towards the front is closer to your heel than the ball of your foot is, the shoe will probably cut across your little toe and cause you pain and problems. If your toes are short relative to average foot measurements and the length of your instep to the ball, you'll be better off with a longer shoe and more room in the toe. The ends of my toes measure size 11.5, for example, but I feel better if I get a 12 or 12.5 In the right width. I. E. I usually wear 11.5 D or 12 C depending on the last.

I hope that helps...

Paul

Last edited:

ElDave

Reaction score

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the chili calf Daltons that are on sale now.  Has all this discussion about "Made in the USA" distracted everyone?  Well, as my moniker implies, I am a boot guy and although I already have two pairs of Daltons (walnut shell and burgundy shell), I couldn't pass up this sale.

I'd been waiting for the walnut calf Daltons to go on sale as I really wanted a lighter color pair of Daltons (my pair of walnut shell Daltons are way darker than the calf walnut) but I will now need to be satisfied with the chili (for awhile anyway until the walnut calf go on sale).  I now have 6-8 weeks to wait...

Has anybody else succumbed?

Me :slayer:

Given that I have the walnut Strand, I've hesitated pulling the trigger on the Daltons as I didn't think they'd add enough to my wardrobe. Chili, on the other hand, is (to me) distinct enough so I placed an order.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's more food for thought -

"The Great American Shoe Company" is not even an American company. That's right.

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Edmonds

Allen Edmonds is owned by a Swedish company:

http://trendmark.se

I guess you all knew this already too? Because I could not find this information on the Allen Edmonds website either...

EDIT-Looks like wikipedia is probably incorrect.

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
I'd been waiting for the walnut calf Daltons to go on sale as I really wanted a lighter color pair of Daltons (my pair of walnut shell Daltons are way darker than the calf walnut) but I will now need to be satisfied with the chili (for awhile anyway until the walnut calf go on sale). I now have 6-8 weeks to wait...

Has anybody else succumbed?
Succumbed? You bet!

Since moving to Western Montana - with all of my city Sanfords - I can see myself with a little higher pant cuff with either the Dalton AND the Longbranch.

Here is a peek at my "vision" . . .

Dugan

Reaction score

"The Great American Shoe Company" is not even an American company. That's right. 

Per  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Edmonds

Allen Edmonds is owned by a Swedish company:

I guess you all knew this already too?  Because I could not find this information on the Allen Edmonds website either...

Who cares?

Guiness is owned by Diageo, but there's no way it's not the beer of Ireland both there and around the world. Doesn't matter who owns AE.

$.02

Last edited:

nicedream

Reaction score

Seriously man, knock it the **** off. I am more than willing to put you on ignore, but we have the CEO of AE here offering to do all kinds of favors for SF members and you seem to be going out of your way to make sure he never comes back.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Here's more food for thought folks - "The Great American Shoe Company" Allen Edmonds is not even an American company.

Per

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Edmonds

AE is owned by a Swedish company:

I guess you all knew this already too? Because I could not find this information on the Allen Edmonds website either...
Oh, give it a break, friend . . .

Budweiser, Alka-Seltzer, Good Humor ice cream, 7-Eleven, Gerber Products, Firestone, John Hancock Life Insurance, Frigidaire, and Holiday Inn are all foreign-owned. And if you look back a little ways, Universal Studios stock got bought up by Japan.

I guess we can all empty out our homes and businesses of foreign-tied ownership - and grab pup-tents from the days of Boy Scouts in the early 50's - and live off the berries.

Source: Published Oct. 16, 2012
http://money.msn.com/investing/c_gallerysidebyside.aspx?cp-documentid=250221363

Last edited:

Dugan

Reaction score

Seriously man, knock it the **** off. I am more than willing to put you on ignore, but we have the CEO of AE here offering to do all kinds of favors for SF members and you seem to be going out of your way to make sure he never comes back.

I don't think Paul is going to lose any sleep over him. :D

lenahan

Reaction score

Here's more food for thought folks - "The Great American Shoe Company" Allen Edmonds is not even an American company.

Per 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Edmonds

AE is owned by a Swedish company:

I guess you all knew this already too?  Because I could not find this information on the Allen Edmonds website either...

The idea of a product entirely made in one area is an illusion. The dunhill lighter is made in Switzerland. The English Royal Family is German. For a watch to be "swiss made" merely 51% of its value must be made in/from switzerland. In the 19th century, English cotton goods were made from cotton picked in the Southern US, later Egypt. American cotton is still shipped overseas (to Asia, usually) to be made into finished products. I love Allen Edmonds--I love them because they make a great product at a reasonable price and employ a substantially number of Americans (and people overseas) at a decent wage and stand by their product. The fact that parts of it my shoes are Dominican does not change that, nor is there anything wrong with Dominincan factories, nor does foreign ownership change that.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares?

Guiness is owned by Diageo, but there's no way it's not the beer of Ireland both there and around the world. Doesn't matter who owns AE.

$.02

I care only to the extent they are trying to fool people by not disclosing this anywhere on their website and using the 'The Great American Shoe Company' tagline.

Oh, give it a break, friend . . .

Budweiser, Alka-Seltzer, Good Humor ice cream, 7-Eleven, Gerber Products, Firestone, John Hancock Life Insurance, Frigidaire, and Holiday Inn are all foreign-owned. And if you look back a little ways, Universal Studios stock got bought up by Japan.

Do any of these companies make the claim that they are the 'great american' whatever? Probably not.

Last edited:

Dugan

Reaction score

I care only to the extent they are trying to fool people by not disclosing this anywhere on their website and using the 'The Great American Shoe Company' tagline. 

Nice work, Sherlock, you uncovered their nefarious plot with the help of Wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads