Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

That shoe is perfect for Vegas - enjoy.

2. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    What is a Shell Shoe?

When I called AE today, they could not really explain it - except to say they are starting to offer more shell shoes which have the color dye imbued in the leather rather than dyeing the leather after the construction of the shoe is underway.

Still confused . . .

Any pictures?

3. David Copeland

I would not expect less from Allen Edwards - and neither would I expect less from Costco when I buy their electronics and Kirland clothing made in Mexico and China - for Costco will not sell goods from anywhere on the planet where there is a hint of labor issues. Besides, I suspect AE and Costco pay better in local wages in other countries.

4. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

Shell Cordovan is a type of leather made from horse. AE sources it from Horween.
    More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan
    http://horween.com/leathers/shell-cordovan/

5. AllenEdmondsCEO

AllenEdmondsCEO Active Member

MN - This is a great question. Feet differ significantly in shape and form. You want your shoes to fit you well from heel to the ball of your foot. The ball of the foot is the key spot. If your shoe's widest point towards the front is closer to your heel than the ball of your foot is, the shoe will probably cut across your little toe and cause you pain and problems. If your toes are short relative to average foot measurements and the length of your instep to the ball, you'll be better off with a longer shoe and more room in the toe. The ends of my toes measure size 11.5, for example, but I feel better if I get a 12 or 12.5 In the right width. I. E. I usually wear 11.5 D or 12 C depending on the last.

I hope that helps...

Paul

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

6. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Me :slayer:

Given that I have the walnut Strand, I've hesitated pulling the trigger on the Daltons as I didn't think they'd add enough to my wardrobe. Chili, on the other hand, is (to me) distinct enough so I placed an order.

7. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Here's more food for thought -

"The Great American Shoe Company" is not even an American company. That's right.

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Edmonds

Allen Edmonds is owned by a Swedish company:

http://trendmark.se

I guess you all knew this already too? Because I could not find this information on the Allen Edmonds website either...

EDIT-Looks like wikipedia is probably incorrect.

8. David Copeland

Succumbed? You bet!

Since moving to Western Montana - with all of my city Sanfords - I can see myself with a little higher pant cuff with either the Dalton AND the Longbranch.

Here is a peek at my "vision" . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dugan

Dugan Well-Known Member

Who cares?

Guiness is owned by Diageo, but there's no way it's not the beer of Ireland both there and around the world. Doesn't matter who owns AE.

$.02

10. nicedream

nicedream Active Member

Seriously man, knock it the fuck off. I am more than willing to put you on ignore, but we have the CEO of AE here offering to do all kinds of favors for SF members and you seem to be going out of your way to make sure he never comes back.

11. David Copeland

Oh, give it a break, friend . . .

Budweiser, Alka-Seltzer, Good Humor ice cream, 7-Eleven, Gerber Products, Firestone, John Hancock Life Insurance, Frigidaire, and Holiday Inn are all foreign-owned. And if you look back a little ways, Universal Studios stock got bought up by Japan.

I guess we can all empty out our homes and businesses of foreign-tied ownership - and grab pup-tents from the days of Boy Scouts in the early 50's - and live off the berries.

Source: Published Oct. 16, 2012
    http://money.msn.com/investing/c_gallerysidebyside.aspx?cp-documentid=250221363

12. Dugan

Dugan Well-Known Member

I don't think Paul is going to lose any sleep over him. :D

13. lenahan

lenahan Senior member

The idea of a product entirely made in one area is an illusion. The dunhill lighter is made in Switzerland. The English Royal Family is German. For a watch to be "swiss made" merely 51% of its value must be made in/from switzerland. In the 19th century, English cotton goods were made from cotton picked in the Southern US, later Egypt. American cotton is still shipped overseas (to Asia, usually) to be made into finished products. I love Allen Edmonds--I love them because they make a great product at a reasonable price and employ a substantially number of Americans (and people overseas) at a decent wage and stand by their product. The fact that parts of it my shoes are Dominican does not change that, nor is there anything wrong with Dominincan factories, nor does foreign ownership change that.

14. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I care only to the extent they are trying to fool people by not disclosing this anywhere on their website and using the 'The Great American Shoe Company' tagline.

Do any of these companies make the claim that they are the 'great american' whatever? Probably not.

15. Dugan

Dugan Well-Known Member

Nice work, Sherlock, you uncovered their nefarious plot with the help of Wikipedia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.