Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I would hope that does not mean that content is restricted to cheerleading posts only. One can have an appreciation of a brand, but still be critical of its methods or its message. Seems to me that the concerns mediahound raised were stated in both a thoughtful and cogent manner - as was the detailed response by the AE CEO. The sum total of that discussion has been highly informative, IMO. Certainly moreso than yet another "AE are the bestest shoos eveerrrrr!" post.

2. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Well said Busa, thank you. I agree, let's move on already. I read, and occasionally participate in, this thread because I love the pics, others' AE experiences, upcoming AE releases, etc. Start an AE bashing thread, but leave this one as truly for the appreciators. J

3. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Hear, hear. I love my AEs. I appreciate them so much that I have only one pair of goodyear welted shoes that *isn't* AE. Polite discourse on this is just as okay here as politely discussing PA cap sizes, whether the bowing issue is wide spread, and whether AE is over polishing/burnishing their shoes.

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

I am curious as to the requests others have made in response to this generous offer. Personally I toyed with the idea of a brown shell Macneil, but have not yet decided. My most recent trip to the NC outlet netted 3 pairs, including a pair of Merlot Adams, so the April shoe budget is spent!

Additionally, I would like to encourage Paul and AE to expand the MTO program. As a size 15, I typically wait to receive new orders anyway. Some lasts, in some leathers, are not a good fit in a D width, an E would be a better fit. These used to be catalog sizes, so the lasts exist. Why not use a MTO program to better serve the client base while still eliminating inventory costs?

Thanks.

5. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Yeah, the fact we appreciate AE does not mean we cannot also have questions/issues with them from time to time, and point them out. I really don't think this thread should be like N. Korea or something where if you say one thing bad about the 'dear leader', you are executed. Although it seems some here think this way, which is a shame on them.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

6. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

just received my townleys! :slayer:

two initial thoughts:

• they definitely feel lighter than i expected.
    • the color is a lot closer to Alden #8 than i was expecting. definitely has some purplish hue to it.

i have a pair of Alden #8 plain toes on the barrie last at home. i'll try to take some comparison pics tonight.

also: we can't force MH to shut the hell up, but we can drown him out to the point where his beat-to-death :deadhorse: gets overlooked. so, can we all collectively agree to POST THE HELL OUT OF SOME AE for the time being, until all of this nonsense fades into the background?

7. Busa

Busa Senior member

To your point- asked, and answered.

[​IMG]

8. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Media Hound: - (Noun)
    ~ idiomatic. A person who actively seeks public attention by participating in stunts that generate (negative) publicity.

A definition to shed light on what MH's motives truly are.

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Dear [​IMG]:

In addition to appreciating his comments, I hope you also paid attention to the fact that he made his point in one post and moved on - instead of posting 10-20 posts making the exact same point over and over and over and over and over again. You will notice this is why WDAHAB will not get the same grief that you get. The facts are not in dispute. You draw one conclusion from the facts and most others draw a different conclusion. You are entitled to your opinion. As is everyone else, which is a polite way of asking you to stop trying to shove your opinion down everyone else's throat and to treat those with whom you dissent in a more respectful manner (i.e. not referring to their statements as rhetoric or BS).

[​IMG]

10. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I appreciate the CEO coming on this forum and stating what he did. I own a lot of AE shoes and most of them are in shell. I just ordered two more pair of shell shoes from the Jefferson Outlet in the past two days. I look at the price and the construction quality of a shoe when I make a decision to buy. I like AE because they represent a good value in the shoe market. I don't think they are as good as Alden (my opinion) and I don't think they are anywhere as good as Carmina (again, my opinion) but then AE shoes cost a lot less than shoes from those two companies. If I were the CEO I would play the Made in America line as much as I could. With that said I feel that shoes that have their uppers sewn together in another country cannot be realistically considered as "Made in America". I'm not sure how to handle this except that I would separate all the factories and make complete shoes in each factory (i.e. the Italian line in Italy, the AE line in DR, and all others in America). To continue to use the mantra of American Made, I would expect all of the shoe to be made in America. AE can do what they want and frankly I don't expect them to listen to me but what is at stake here is he reputation of the company.

11. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

Those were the exact first thoughts that I had when I got mine, although I thought mine were a little more red. I was surprised that they had JR soles, wasn't expecting that.

Couldn't agree more, it's a waste of time scrolling through this crap.

12. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Those Townleys are awesome aren't they? I have yet to wear mine around the house yet though...out of respect for you not receiving yours yet [​IMG]

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Well, when they make you king of the forum, you'll get decide when the horse is dead. Can't wait.

Speaking of horses asses, new Townleys in da house:

[​IMG]

I must give a major vote of thanks to the forumite who publicized this deal. Gorgeous shoe, heckuva value.

14. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

The record shows that I had 'moved on' until the CEO posted a reply which failed to address some key points, which I called him out on.

15. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

I must admit I did just this, although after reading about the suede chukkas I ended up passing. I did end up with a killer deal on some Townleys though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.