Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

I would return those Kenilworth's. They should be taken back pretty easily, given that there was no mention of the problem in the ebay listing.

2. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I just purchased snuff suede players and was looking for a spray to use. Thx for suggesting the above product. I was almost going to order a saphir repelant spray. How often do you apply it?

3. TheMangelo

TheMangelo Well-Known Member

Friends, I tried on a pair of Park Avenues today (the only AE shoe in the store I was visiting). I'm thinking of taking advantage of the current sale and picking up a pair of walnut McAllister's... how does the sizing compare? Do they use the same last?

Thanks in advance.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Same last. Sizing should be comparable provided the shoes are the same material (calf or cordovan).

5. TheMangelo

TheMangelo Well-Known Member

Many thanks!

6. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

You should use waterproof spray on suede shoes. I don't own any AE suede shoes but I use waterproof spray on my Alden and Carmina suede shoes regularly. The spray doesn't change the feel of the suede at all in my experience.

I found my 9D shell Patriots to fit about the same as my 8.5D pair of Brooks Brothers/Alden shell LHS. The Patriots started out a bit tighter across the instep, but after a few wears it now feels pretty close to the LHS.

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

My current AE shoes and RL by AE -
    AE
    L-R
    Strands, Players, Fift St
    Mora, Fift Ave, Grayson

RL
    L-R
    Singleton , Saunders
    Slaton Black, Slaton Burnished tan, Sanderson
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

8. The_International

The_International Well-Known Member

^^^. Great collection! Would you mind providing the names for each? tremendous styles.

9. md2010

md2010 Senior member

AE
    L-R
    Strands, Players, Fift St
    Mora, Fift Ave, Grayson

RL
    L-R
    Singleton , Saunders
    Slaton Black, Slaton Burnished tan, Sanderson

10. The_International

The_International Well-Known Member

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Obviously, it comes down to personal preferece. AE tends to really coat theirs with a lot of cream at the factory, and this heavy cream finish masks the shell in many cases. Once this is gone, it is easy to keep a nice shine with brushing.
    Thanks! I have 4 pair in calf I think - though I am actively looking for replacements of 2 of them, the black tassel loafers shown, and my black calf Park Aves. I also have walnut grain Macneils and bourbon McAllisters. Yes, the sport coat is from the same tailor - I have been happy with the suit, so I decided to get a couple coats, as most of my business meetings are done in a sport coat / blazer and slacks as opposed to a suit. I'll post up the other sport coat when I next wear it. The only problem is that these are eating into my shell cordovan budget!
    As you know, I sized up in width for my CXL Bayfields, from 12D to 12E and am happy with the results after my first winter in them. If shell Bayfields were available, I would do the same. However, I will note that this is on my foot, which is right on the border between D and E width anyway. Good luck! Are you considering burgundy shell or brown shell Bayfields?
    The question I've been asking for a year now... they are elusive, unless you are the right size and find an old pair bouncing around the AE retail shelves somewhere.
    Great collection, thanks for sharing!

12. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have received my Bourbon McAllisers, Tap Sole today from the Anniversary sale. Nice shoes.

In back, you can see a 15 year old Fairhaven in Cognac (I think). The McAllisters fit very close, both are 11E. The Fairhavens are cracking, which is probably a result of my abuse and lack of caring for them over the years. Use your AE Conditioner and Cleaner! That stuff does wonders. I love how the colour aged and burnished over time.

13. decogeo

decogeo Active Member

Just picked up my park avenues from the Cobbler's. After a few wearings, it looked like the sole was using up way too fast at the toe. Should be fixed with those toe taps.

[​IMG]

14. monkeynuts

monkeynuts Well-Known Member

Quick question on fit for balmorals.

Are the uppers supposed to be laced completely shut so the edges are together? My insteps are way too prominent for this to happen with any semblance of comfort.

I have seen photos of both, for example:

[​IMG]

versus

[​IMG]

Clearly the first photo's fit looks a lot clearner, just wondering if the second photo's fit is a big no-no.

15. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

For AE shoes in general and specifically shoes in the 5-65 last. Does a half size up in D width give you the same width as the same shoe half size down in E width?

In other words, does a 10D have the same width as the 9.5E?

TIA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.