• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
What do you think about the mcallister in truffle cordovan?
I feel like it might be too boring a colour for a brogued wingtip.

Those are beautiful. Not boring at all. In time they will develop a great patina. Those would make a great addition to any collection.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GOR-GEOUS. Where can I get one?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kentyman

Reaction score
Thought I'd take a couple comparison shots of Townley vs. Clifton. The Clifton is much sleeker (8 last vs. 1 last). Alas, the Cliftons are not shell....

Thanks for this. If I'm honest, I prefer the shape of the Clifton, but I like the more ornate broguing of the Townley. I had concerns about whether I'd find the Townley too blobby, but I'm actually kinda digging them in person. And for the price, they're a good introduction to shell:

Sadly, I haven't been able to wear them around the house enough to be sure I'm happy with the sizing yet, so I haven't been able to take them for a spin. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow.

kentyman

Reaction score
For any 8.5's out there: $375 for a pair of new in the box burgundy shell Kenilworths that are the new AE burgundy shell color. Very nice and makes me wonder if we are going to see a shell Kenilworth soon. As a non-fan of the Leeds, this piques my curiosity. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Allen-E...7350827?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f2406952b
I just jumped on these. I've been really admiring that Freemans Sporting Club pair for a while, so needless to say I'm quite excited. Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, I'm an 8.5D in the Strand, but the one 8.5D calf Kenilworth I tried on may've been a tad big for me. If these don't work out for me, I hope I can find them a home amongst you all.

So I also got those shell Kenilworths (technically my first shell purchase). The listing said "First Quality - Stamped on Sole Because They Are a Cancelled Special Order", but I'm thinking they were probably seconds. Note the 3 dark blotches on the inside. Also, part of the label on the box was cut out:

I'm thinking someone custom ordered them, didn't like the blotches, and they became seconds. What are y'all's thoughts? Is there any way to remove these? Do you think I can convince the seller to discount them? Looking for some advice.

adamdurbin

Reaction score
To be honest, I think they're great. I bought the Dalton's in the grey color when they were 199 because I love the dalton and I love the grey, but I wish I had held out a while longer and just gotten the pa's (which were the shoes I really wanted).

I would not buy this shoe. The styling of the PA really only works for formal occasions with suits. A gray shoe doesn't. There is a reason they are being discounted.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Option B, and my first thought... But how many wingtips does a man need? Never mind, that is an illogical statement, right up there with how many boots does he need. There will not be any truffle left from little there is at this rate! Nice score.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I also got those shell Kenilworths (technically my first shell purchase). The listing said "First Quality - Stamped on Sole Because They Are a Cancelled Special Order", but I'm thinking they were probably seconds. Note the 3 dark blotches on the inside. Also, part of the label on the box was cut out: I'm thinking someone custom ordered them, didn't like the blotches, and they became seconds. What are y'all's thoughts? Is there any way to remove these? Do you think I can convince the seller to discount them? Looking for some advice.
I hope those are not first quality. The spots are quite noticeable.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I also got those shell Kenilworths (technically my first shell purchase). The listing said "First Quality - Stamped on Sole Because They Are a Cancelled Special Order", but I'm thinking they were probably seconds. Note the 3 dark blotches on the inside. Also, part of the label on the box was cut out: I'm thinking someone custom ordered them, didn't like the blotches, and they became seconds. What are y'all's thoughts? Is there any way to remove these? Do you think I can convince the seller to discount them? Looking for some advice.
You bought them on EBay for pennies. Keep them or return them. Don't be that guy that tries to negotiate a lower price. Trying to remember, didn't you get them for only $300?

Shiny

Reaction score
Will I mess up suede if I apply water protectant? I really like how I can run my hand across the grain. You know, the raised strands of fibers.

Pastor

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of Townley's in Brown Shell from the Jefferson store. Total price shipped was $258. Looking forward to getting them here next week. Im also thinking og getting the patriot loafers in Brown Shell. I've been wanting the Alden LHS version forever but you can't find it in Cigar or Ravello and even I could they would be $700+ while the patriots in shell are around $360. Anyone know how these fit?

tampatravel

Reaction score

Will I mess up suede if I apply water protectant? I really like how I can run my hand across the grain. You know, the raised strands of fibers.

I've used suede protectant on my bright green suede Rancourt boat shoes and on my light denim blue Quoddy camp mods and it doesn't change the "hand" of the suede or the color. It's still feels buttery rich, just protected.

I would have no problem recommending it for your AE suede shoes.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will not mess them up if you use the right spray. I use Bickmore Gard-More which is silicon free. You want to protect your suede and after the fact it is too late IME.
I just purchased a pair of Townley's in Brown Shell from the Jefferson store. Total price shipped was $258. Looking forward to getting them here next week. Im also thinking og getting the patriot loafers in Brown Shell. I've been wanting the Alden LHS version forever but you can't find it in Cigar or Ravello and even I could they would be $700+ while the patriots in shell are around $360. Anyone know how these fit?
Congrats on the Townley's, and that is one heck of a price! I have the Patriot in brown shell and it is the first loafer that has ever fit me. They have fairly low reviews on the AE website because they are too tight for many people. However that "weakness" is their strength for me. I really like them, a lot. I have a very low volume foot with narrow heel and almost no arches and the Patriot's are perfect for me. I walk out of most all other loafers my heel lifts well above the back of the shoe except for the Patriot. If you have a larger volume foot I could see why they they could be a problem in being too tight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads