Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Those look great. But is there a reason you used Reno rather than Saphir's Cordovan Cream?

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Can't speak for the poster, but I use both. I use Renovateur to clean and condition on occasion, but mainly use Saphir's cordovan cream to condition and shine. That said, I'm thinking of experimenting with the Cold Iron method of stripping them down with Renomat to see what I can achieve.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I too use both, but never both during the same treatment. Unless I want a bit of color infused into the boot/shoe, I will just use Reno or Saphir's cordovan cream in neutral.

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks for the responses. Would I be correct in my understanding that Reno and Cordovan Cream essentially perform the same function, but that the latter is expressly formulated for Cordovan? Or is there a difference?

I have both products, but my only pair of cordovan shoes is too new to need treatment. But as I have a pair of Townleys inbound, and can see more horsebutt in my future, I'm trying to make sure I have this stuff straight.

5. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

I believe Reno is a neutral cleaner and conditioner, won't change the finish of the shoe. Cordovan cream conditions but also adds color.

6. motelhound

motelhound New Member

I see many gentlemen are stripping down their cordovan shoes and trying to achieve a high shine from the leather. I always took cordovan leather to be used on more casually styled shoes. Wouldn't the high shine be going against the grain? I tend just to keep my pairs clean with Venetian cream and let them take on a natural patina.

7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Thanks CMD.

I'll order size 8 in the park's... :D

8. mb6c

mb6c Active Member

Any thoughts on the Grey PAs? You can get them for $210 before taxes ($230 total): http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5995_1_40000000001_-1

[​IMG]
    My main concern is the color looks like a faded Black. And I already own the Black PAs... but I really like the shoe. Does anyone on this pair? How does it look with black or navy slacks?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

9. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

My current AE's. Got some Boca Ratons coming in on Monday in Walnut.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Good choice on the shell PA! And an even better price, that is $10 more than retail on the calf ones. I hope they turn out well for you.
    Well done bucksfan, sometimes I almost forget that you have calf too :)

Great job on that coat and I really like that lining. Assuming this is the same tailor that did your sharkskin suit you are a very lucky man to have such a great tailor.
    Nice first post! And great collection you have going. From a poll I saw on AAAC it is common for men's feet to grow a half size sometime around 40, mine did too. Now what's next? Shell boots of course :) No matter what you pick I'm sure it will be great. I never thought about putting colored laces in my Katmai's but love how they look in yours. Thank you.
    I've been waiting a long time for someone to do that, thank you!

I didn't want to influence your decision ahead of time but I have run across several posts where others felt they were a different color also. And it certainly looks like it. I also use my brown Dundee's as a standard to measure other brown shell against, good call.

Congrats on the Dundee's and also the cappucino pick up! Can't wait for pics and congrats on filling in the rainbow :)
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful pictures Pastor. Your work has been well rewarded by the results.

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

jvc44 thanks for the PSA on the Townley's, they are great and at $300 for shell an unbelievable deal. However seeing how I suffer from AEAD - Allen Edmonds Acquisition Disorder it may cost me more like $1,000 when it is all done, provided things go well.
    And I had the same thought as well..... With CXL Bayfield:

[​IMG]

About a year ago someone posted a picture of a burgundy shell Bayfield that was custom made (top):

[​IMG]
    And doing some digging found a post on AAAC from Dec 2009 where the CEO of AE said: "We haven't planned to bring the Bayfield back in shell cordovan at this point." So it sounds like at one time the Bayfield was actually available in shell.

Black calf Bayfields fit me pretty well, slightly snug at the ball of the foot. My CXL Bayfields are tighter yet, and I can not wear heavier socks with them. Even with normal socks they are pretty snug across the ball of the foot. IF the Bayfield in shell was an option today I'd want to make sure they aren't too tight to wear with heavier wool socks. Shell can be and usually is a bit looser fitting than calf, but not always. I don't want to go up in size or width so much that I get heel slip. I am a 10D in the Bayfield and most of my shoes and boots. When I have tried a 10.5 in other footwear they are too long. Going to an E usually means heel slip. Not sure that would happen with a shell version of the Bayfield though because it is so sung to start with. Any thoughts on which size would be best?

12. frank212

frank212 Member

Wearing black shell Leeds for the first time at the park. Started to like them until I saw a couple of security guards with nearly identical black plastic shoes. Nice.[​IMG]

13. cloudyskies

cloudyskies Member

Does anyone know what AE's policy is when it comes to missing packages?

Apparently the genius FedEx guy left my bourbon McAllisters outside my workplace this morning, and by the time I got there a short while later, they were gone. I'm guessing someone walked off with the box, given that it's Saturday and there was no one in the building. I'm hoping that AE will help me file a claim or send me a replacement, but I'm a bit worried, since I've never had anything of value go missing before. Any experience with situations like this?

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The shipper usually files the claim, not the recipient. They should take care of it either way. If they don't, I would contact my credit card company and file a complaint. They'll remove the charge.

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I would not buy this shoe. The styling of the PA really only works for formal occasions with suits. A gray shoe doesn't. There is a reason they are being discounted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.