Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I'm not an expert at this, either, but I know that the key difference is that the Blake method does not have a welt. Instead, they stitch the shoe from the inside all the way through the sole. Here's a good picture of it:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2008/07/make-berluti-your-fifth-pair-part-1.html

I think the easiest way to tell is if the shoe has a welt. Also, with a Blake shoe, I think you would see stitches around the edges of the insole, looking down into the shoe.

My understanding is that Black stitched shoes can be resoled, but that the equipment to do it is not that common in the US. Maybe that's why AE has specially trained Italian cobblers, as mentioned by JubeiSpiegel.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Incidentally, I bought a pair of J&M "handcrafted in Italy" shoes a few yrs ago and they also fit extremely well. I've no idea who makes AE's Italian line or J&M's Italian line but it is a coincidence that they both fit me perfectly. The angle is off a bit in the image but the shape of the last is virtually the same so I wouldn't be surprised it they were made in the same place.

[​IMG]

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Those do look like almost identical lasts. It will be interesting to hear your resoling experiences when the time comes.

4. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I would probably say yes to that. But, it would be best to get fitted on that last in person to make sure.

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

It would be best to be fitted - but if the Leeds don't fit you can always send them back unworn for a pair in the next size up or down, depending on where you decide to start.

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

The maker of the AE Italian lines is one of the great sartorial mysteries. I have heard the name Bruno Magli in regards to their Italian loafers, but even various SA's couldn't tell me for sure.

In regards to the discontinued Seven line re-crafts, I was told by my SA today that they are definitely re-craftable now, and that the process will leave the shoes just as they first made them (with all the same materials and details). I want to say that we should get a second opinoin. Anyone else up for emailing AE on the Seven line re-crafting question? For that matter, maybe other AE store locations have a different story.

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I can do that. Very good idea and thanks for the follow up, Jubie.

8. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

I bought the cabarnet brown AE Tresana some 3 years ago and then had to get the ones in black. I think these shoes are made to a much better quality level than the Bruno Maglis I have seen. The make looks very similar to Zegna shoes. Won't be surprised if these shoes were made at the same factory , a JV between Ferragamo and Zegna.

9. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Affiliate Vendor

The Seven laceups and boots are made with rapid/blake construction.

Anyone here try the Fabriano? I love the sole and they are one of the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks for the clarification RE: construction.

I agree that they are very comfortable. I figured it was a matter of fit. Even though they are a relatively long and sleek looking shoe, my wide-ish, high volume feet fit so well. Perhaps it's the blucher lacing pattern, but they are by far on of the best fitting, comfortable shoes in my rotation. And strangely enough, the Italian made J&M's fit just as well and are the same size.

I fell in love with the Tresana from day one. In retrospect, I should have jumped on the black ones as well. When they finally hit the discontinued price point of ~$200, they were a steal.

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Just heard back from Edward Wickham, Store Manager in Freeport, ME:

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I suppose It's offical then, happy new years everyone!

13. mothball

mothball Senior member

Have any of you guys seen AE's alpine grain in person? I'm thinking about ordering a custom pair of Sheltons in brown alpine & walnut grain. Thanks!

14. rostov

rostov Senior member

Received my clearance Sandlots... not even remotely close to fitting at 10eee. I'm an 11eee, but wear a 9.5-10.5eee in the 5 and 2 lasts. Now I need to seek to return or offload these things :( My only consolation, if any is that I still haven't returned my defective Strands... so I guess it won't take much more effort to mail an extra pair.

The Alden store is looking increasingly attractive. :/

15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.