Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calidist

calidist Senior member

That's what I'm leaning towards. I'll spin the wheel again and have them ship out another pair.

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Wait, you sized up in the McTavish? I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I went an entire half size down.

3. Hobbstc

Hobbstc Well-Known Member

When I called AE to ask about sizing for Dalton's they told me to size up 1/2. Like you guys, I wear 11.5d in 5 last (Jeffersons) so I have a 12d pair in chocolate coming whenever they are shipped.

4. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I hope so :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a matching belt to wear with the snuff players?

5. calidist

calidist Senior member

AE has a matching belt: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF97642_1_40000000001_-1. I picked one up from 6pm.com for a bit less than the retail price on AE's website. It is a pretty good belt--quite substantial in construction.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

I was in the Phoenx A&E store yesterday and was pleased to discover that they have a small quantity of the Boston single monk in brown calf. They have limited sizes and I know the Boston wasn't a very widely distributed shoe so if someone is interested you might want to move on it. Tom Kroepel, the manager there sent me an email with sizes and amount of burnishing on the shoes. Here's what they have:

2 pairs of 8 D: dovetail heels with light burnishing on the toe

1 pair of 8 ½ D: dovetail heel with a burnished toe

2 pairs of 9 D: dovetail heel with no burnishing on the toe

1 pair of 9 ½ D: rubber toplift with no burnishing

2 pairs of 10 D: dovetail heel with burnished toe

1 pair of 10 1/2 D: dovetail heel with no burnishing

1 pair of 11 D: dovetail heel with burnished toe

Great looking shoe and if I wasn't already monk heavy I'd probably pick up a pair.

7. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

those chilli daltons look tempting. does chilli, vary enough from walnut to warrant owning both?

8. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Black calf and brown grain Broadstreets, possibly amongst the least spectacular of all Spectators.....[​IMG]

9. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

Hi

First time poster! First I wanted to say thanks for all the helpful information contained in the 1278 pages. Its been very helpful in care and sizing of my new shoe hobby or addiction depending how you look at it.

How I got here? I am in my mid 40's and for some reason my feet have grown about a half size. The doctor says my arches haven't fallen but no reason for the now larger feet. I had a pretty nice selection of older Johnston and Murphy Signature shoes and some chukkas. They no longer fit and I had to buy new shoes. The first pair of nice shoes I bought were some Wolverine 1000 mile Courtlands - beautiful leather on these. I found the style forum Wolverine page and read and read. Then I found some reference to Allen Edmonds and started reading. I liked the concept of American made and shoes that I could get recreafted so I bought a few - The Elgin great looking shoe. The leather sole is hard to get used to since i hadn't really worn leather soles in a long time. I needed some new dress shoes and bought the Bradley, super comfortable right out of the box. I bought the Katmai because I liked the look, some tread and would probably last forever.

Not sure my picture (crappy Blackberry shot) will post as I am new, but will give it a try. Here's my up and coming collection. Now what's next :) Again thanks and look forward to joining the conversations.

[​IMG]

10. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

So the question was, "is the AE brown shell different from the dark brown shell?" I know because I asked the question. I HAVE THE ANSWER! The answer is yes. The brown is more olive and the dark brown is a stronger brown with a hint of red (I think). The strands are brown and the dundees are dark brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

New dark brown shell Dundees. Now all I'm missing is cappuccino and I'll have the whole AE shell rainbow. Cappuccino should be here in a few weeks!

[​IMG]

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Return - for sure.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Beautiful

14. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Thank you very much, for both of these pics. For the comparative pics, you say that there is more of an olive tint to the brown shell (strands), BUT could it also be said that this even varies from shoe to shoe?...I ask because a gentlemen had posted pics of a Brown Shell Strand a few pages back, and while they were a striking color of brown, they had notably more red tint in them than the olive tone to which you refer. So it seems to me, that there could possibly be some variation from shoe to shoe, even within the same colors of shell. Nevertheless, thanks again for the pics.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

diggin that shade of brown on those dundees.. best price typically to secure a pair? do they ever come up on a seconds list?

sorry for the possibly redundant question, I dont venture into the AE thread often

thanks in advance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.