1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

There is no specific thread, I was just saying there is a lot of advice out there on burgundy shoes and endless debates on burgundy vs. black. Sorry for the confusion.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I didn't get the memo yesterday about walnut shell dang it!! [​IMG]

They look great and well done good sir!

3. fiddlestyx

fiddlestyx Active Member

So I re-ordered a pair of Strands this morning prior to returning them in store and was wondering if I am able to mix and match the pairs? (ie replace the scuffed left one with the new pair and then pick the best between the two right shoes) Are these shoes uniquely numbered as a pair or just with the model and size number?

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

no, shoes are not made together in pairs, should be fine.

5. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Thanks for the great advice everyone. Glad I posted that question here.

I'm now seriously considering getting the McAllister in Merlot. The more I look at it, the more I'm getting to appreciate it. I just need to get another belt to match.[​IMG]

The only reason I started considering the MacNeil was because it seemed like such a versatile shoe -- can be either dressed-up or down. Considering that I still have other office pairs in rotation (To Boot, J&M, etc.), I thought I could use a "dual purpose" AE pair.

As for the Strand, I really like my dark brown pair (fit, shape, design, etc.), which is why I thought of getting another one in a different color.

Thanks all!

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I'll have to side with Wurger on this. I don't think AE meets the criteria for being a "premium" shoe. Bgp001, I think you are missing a crucial piece to the puzzle on why AE shoes are the price they are. They are in a completely different echelon of shoes than Kenneth Cole, Steve Madden, and Aldo (to use your examples). Those shoes are glued together using inferior materials, intended to be disposed of when they wear out. You get what you pay for. AE shoes, being Goodyear-welted, and made of high quality leather (generally full grain), are at the basic price point for shoes in this level of quality. They are one of the most cost effective quality shoes available in the U.S., and are amongst the most cost effective shoes in many other countries. There are a couple of other brands that fit into similar price points made in Europe, but being that they are made in Europe, there are complications regarding fit, returns, recrafting, etc., that make them less cost effective for Americans. AE is a "no-frills" quality shoe manufacturer, where you are paying $200-335 for shoes that are made using a proven construction method that has stood the test of time, and uses durable high quality materials. The cost of a pair of AE's is the cost of these materials, plus the cost of paying their employees (they are apparently well paid for their industry) to make these shoes with their hands, plus the cost needed to keep the company growing and stable. You aren't paying for a name or a fashion brand that delivers the latest styles, using questionable materials, with nothing but a "cool" factor to stand on. You also aren't paying for extras that are considered subjectively valuable (with the exception of AE's Independence Collection). The premium that you are referring to is what makes other Goodyear-welted shoes so much more expensive than AE (think Alden, Crockett & Jones, Gaziano & Girling, John Lobb, Edward Green, etc., etc.) Those other companies spend much more time on the finishing of their shoes that are otherwise constructed the same way as Allen Edmonds. The other brand's shoes won't necessarily last longer. Some of the "premium" Goodyear-welted companies often use only the highest quality parts of the calfskin to make their shoes, so that is the one major exception that can theoretically make them last a bit longer, but even that isn't guaranteed.

AE's Independence Collection does have some frills built in, and you pay a $140 premium for them. I don't think the differences between the Independence Collection and AE's regular line is great enough with regards to cost of materials alone to justify the price increase (in other words I don't think they have $140 more materials and labor in them). I think you are paying a premium for those because they use a slightly nicer leather, and have more attention to details (wheeling, polished soles, brass nameplate, cushioned sock-liner). When you buy a shoe from the Independence Collection, you are enjoying your premium quality shoes that sets them just a little bit apart from the basic product. There is nothing wrong with this, if that's important to you, but these differences aren't going to make a pair of these shoes last longer than the regular line, which is what makes their differences subjectively valuable.

The differences between basic Goodyear-welted shoes and cemented cheap shoes are objective, are worth more money, and cost more to make. They will make a better shoe that will last longer and look better for the life of the shoe. Once you are in the realm of Goodyear-welted shoes (or better) you then have to separate the premium brands from the basic ones, and decide which bells and whistles you are willing to pay for.

4 people like this.
  7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Sometimes I forget how perfect Park Avenues and Fifth Avenues would be with the cap toe line moved back a little bit. I took a picture (forgive the poor lighting) of one of my favorite round toe lasts from Carmina (Forest) next to AE's Strand. The Strand (which has essentially the same shape as the Park Avenue) is very similar to the Forest last, but is only slightly more round in the toe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  8. wurger

wurger Senior member

+1, and I didn't even know that AE has a premium range; just checked them out, got to say, their side views are pretty average, especially how the toe box is shaped from the side, not a fan.

9. MoneyWellSpent

I think the Jefferson is a very handsome shoe, personally. The Independence Collection uses the same lasts as their regular line, so they should have similar shapes, but they use a heavier sole leather gauge (which may be throwing off the balance to you, not sure).

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:My only complaint about the Independence collection is that the welt part of the sole is huge. It may look fine on the Jefferson, which I believe is a blucher, but I don't like it on the Harrison or whatever the cap-toe model is.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

My number 1 complaint about the Independence collection as well.

12. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I think the issue I have with the IC is that better options become available at or near that price point. AE's regular line provides a great value for what they
    charge, particularly in the seconds market.

13. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Has anyone found the McAllister to fit differently than the Strand? I've been breaking in my bourbon McAllisters with combination sole the past few nights at home and they seem to be substantially looser than my year old Strands.

14. MoneyWellSpent

Yeah, you must be thinking of the Harrison (not my favorite either). The Jefferson is a balmoral wingtip (looks identical to the McAllister). I agree on the welt size, and to me it is most pronounced on the Rutledge. The wheeling combined with the size of the welt makes it look like a cemented sole with a bond-welt to me. It isn't a deal breaker for me, but it does stand out.

15. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I just contacted AE to see if they would price match the Manistee belt which is on sale for $76.90 at Nordstrom's, but in Bourbon. No go for launch. They will price match, but only in the colors that are part of the sale.

16. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I've noticed the same thing and find that my toes are noticeably closer to the end of the shoe in my Strands.

17. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:I had to put tongue pads in my McAllisters, and they are still a little loose. My Strands in the same size fit fine. Both are regular leather sole and leather insole. My Fifth Aves fit the same as my Strands, so the McAllister seems to be the outlier.

18. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Good to know I'm not the only one. Mine are 8E. I will decide tonight whether 7.5E or 8D would be a better option for the exchange.

19. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

Just pulled the trigger on some Merlot McAllisters. Can't wait to get them.

My Walnut McAllisters fit me a lot better than my Strands in the same size (7.5 E). My Strands feel kind of tight throughout, especially near the big toe area.

20. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I have both and they seem to fit exactly the same as I would expect given that they are on the same last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.