• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatravel

Reaction score
I finally got to wear my web gem Neumoks today!!

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I however disagree that: "They divulge full information and are wholly upfront about this in all their materials."
Unbelievable. You're quoting someone else's inaccurate paraphrasing as your "source"? Why don't you go read Mr. Grangaard's response instead of continuing with your and others' bullshit. Production does NOT move back and forth between here and there. http://www.styleforum.net/t/228354/...-in-the-dominican-republic/30_30#post_5390098
Mediahound, you caught me. I wrote that statement before I went back to their website to see what they say there. I was aware of the quote cited by Frogwash, however, and I had in my mind that they have been open about the situation. Also, whether correctly or not, I have taken the "made of fine imported leather" printed prominently inside every shoe to include assembled uppers from the DR. I want to be careful to not sound like an AE cheerleader here, but I want to explain why you are getting the reaction you have to your statements. You are technically correct. Some portion of Allen Edmonds' shoes are made in the DR, and it is not prominently disclosed on their website, although as I said above, it could be taken to be disclosed inside the shoe. The issue I had with your initial post - and still disagree with you on - is the alarmist tone of your statements. First, as I said, this is old news here. I don't mean this to be flippant; rather that this is a forum of Allen Edmonds enthusiasts (of which you are one), and this topic has been discussed several times before. People here already know about this and have already decided how they feel about it. Your other point is the use of the tagline "The Great Shoe American Shoe Company", which you find to be disingenuous. Again, I think this is a technical argument, and most have already decided what they feel. Now, you are free to "boycott" AE if you choose, and to find another shoe manufacturer whose marketing and production you agree with (and in fact, there was a post earlier of someone who implied that they would stop buying AE based on your posts). But here are the reasons why I think people are sticking with AE: - Obviously, they are not breaking any laws. The content of their shoes labeled Made in the USA meet requirements - Other "American" companies have a portion of their products made outside the US. The best example might be the auto industry. No car is made of 100% sourced in the USA components - in fact, most are barely over 50%, and this includes our "Great American" auto companies Chrysler (talk about some rah-rah patriotic advertising lately!), GM, and Ford. In fact, Honda, Toyota, and others have Made in the USA cars. Old news, right? - The materials used in fine shoes are often sourced elsewhere, including the main material, leather. This is usually regarded as a plus, as someone stated earlier. And it works the other way, too - C&J, a fine "Made in England" shoe maker, uses Horween shell from Chicago. Should they skimp on their shell, because it has to be made in the UK from UK-raised cows? And in this case, AE clearly states that they use imported leather. --- And actually, here is a funny exception: My Horween shell shoes have the same "made of fine imported leather" stamp on them. However, the Horween shell is American. The soles are German. Someone could easily take this statement to mean that the entire shoe is made of imported leather, which would be incorrect. - There is a realism from people that this situation is a compromise to keep the price of AE's shoes in the $300 range. If there were no DR factory and everything had to made in the US, then we all assume prices would go up. - Their CEO has been forthcoming with the DR production in interviews, and so that has satisfied many people here. I think your issue is really with the "Great American Shoe Company" moniker. I think that has different interpretations for people, and you are free to take is as you choose. My point was simply that you have come in here with breaking news, gotten everyone excited, and then told us all something we have already known and processed.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not nitpicking. The Amok uppers are cut and sewn not in the USA.

Further, AE has a duplicate plant in the DR and shifts production on 'Made in USA' shoes there at any time. But the Amoks even say 'Made from fine imported leather' on them.

Mediahound, you caught me. I wrote that statement before I went back to their website to see what they say there. I was aware of the quote cited by Frogwash, however, and I had in my mind that they have been open about the situation. Also, whether correctly or not, I have taken the "made of fine imported leather" printed prominently inside every shoe to include assembled uppers from the DR.

I want to be careful to not sound like an AE cheerleader here, but I want to explain why you are getting the reaction you have to your statements.

You are technically correct. Some portion of Allen Edmonds' shoes are made in the DR, and it is not prominently disclosed on their website, although as I said above, it could be taken to be disclosed inside the shoe. The issue I had with your initial post - and still disagree with you on - is the alarmist tone of your statements. First, as I said, this is old news here. I don't mean this to be flippant; rather that this is a forum of Allen Edmonds enthusiasts (of which you are one), and this topic has been discussed several times before. People here already know about this and have already decided how they feel about it.

Your other point is the use of the tagline "The Great Shoe American Shoe Company", which you find to be disingenuous. Again, I think this is a technical argument, and most have already decided what they feel.

Now, you are free to "boycott" AE if you choose, and to find another shoe manufacturer whose marketing and production you agree with (and in fact, there was a post earlier of someone who implied that they would stop buying AE based on your posts).

But here are the reasons why I think people are sticking with AE:

- Obviously, they are not breaking any laws. The content of their shoes labeled Made in the USA meet requirements

- Other "American" companies have a portion of their products made outside the US. The best example might be the auto industry. No car is made of 100% sourced in the USA components - in fact, most are barely over 50%, and this includes our "Great American" auto companies Chrysler (talk about some rah-rah patriotic advertising lately!), GM, and Ford. In fact, Honda, Toyota, and others have Made in the USA cars. Old news, right?

- The materials used in fine shoes are often sourced elsewhere, including the main material, leather. This is usually regarded as a plus, as someone stated earlier. And it works the other way, too - C&J, a fine "Made in England" shoe maker, uses Horween shell from Chicago. Should they skimp on their shell, because it has to be made in the UK from UK-raised cows? And in this case, AE clearly states that they use imported leather.

--- And actually, here is a funny exception: My Horween shell shoes have the same "made of fine imported leather" stamp on them. However, the Horween shell is American. The soles are German. Someone could easily take this statement to mean that the entire shoe is made of imported leather, which would be incorrect.

- There is a realism from people that this situation is a compromise to keep the price of AE's shoes in the $300 range. If there were no DR factory and everything had to made in the US, then we all assume prices would go up.

- Their CEO has been forthcoming with the DR production in interviews, and so that has satisfied many people here.

I think your issue is really with the "Great American Shoe Company" moniker. I think that has different interpretations for people, and you are free to take is as you choose. My point was simply that you have come in here with breaking news, gotten everyone excited, and then told us all something we have already known and processed.

I think kmdsimpson said everything extremely well here, and I agree with all of it. The "Made of Fine Imported Leather" thing keeps frustrating me, because it keeps coming up. The label of "Made of Fine Imported Leather" is in no way a nod to the manufactering of shoes in the Dominican Republic. As kmdsimpson says, ALL of their shoes are now saying this on the insole. Using imported leather is not new, it is not a degradation of quality, and it doesn't represent a change in their methods. If you see an AE shoe without this label, it is probably old stock. It doesn't necessarily mean that it is made of USA sourced leather. I assure you, Alden shoes (since they are the other prominent American shoe maker) also purchases their hides (other than shell) from tanneries from other countries as well, just as all of the fine English shoemakers of Northampton do. Making a product from the best available materials frequently requires importing goods. Made in USA means alot to us from a quality and patriotic standpoint, but that doesn't mean that the USA produces the the highest quality natural materials all the time. If your country produces the best of a particular type of natural resource or material, it is often luck rather than human effort due to climate, geography, landscape, etc.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mediahound,
I appreciate you bringing this up. I'm sure a lot of people aren't aware of the sourcing of AE for its shoes. And, some people don't want to view the last 1200 pages of this thread. A corollary is Apple computer which has, rightfully, taken a lot of flack for having their iphones assembled in China, allegedly by child labor.

This forum tends to be a "cheerleader" type group re. AE. There seems to be a vehement reaction when someone brings up something negative about AE. I've had my problems with AE (bowing issue) and initially the reaction is, "this poster is nuts!". But you will see that eventually some reasoned voices will join in and agree with your sentiments. Keep at it!

BTW, love your unboxing videos of shoe and related products
fing02[1].gif

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear 9D in the Park Aves, should I size one width up to a 9E for the Strands?

Since the Park Avenue and Strand are on the same last (and basically the same shoe except for "decorations"), I would say get the same size in both. So I would stick with the 9D.

Chris

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check these guys out. A little pricey, no?

Wow, I don't know. The price may not be as far off base as you would think. The sheer cool factor of having a pair of vintage AE's that are around 50 years old in that condition makes them pretty valuable in my opinion. They really do look like they could have been made less than a year ago. I am impressed, and I'm not sure I've seen a pair of old stock AE's that are that old before. Most of the old stock shoes that I see are from the 80's or newer. Also, take notice and appreciate the heavy round metal cleat in the heel (similar to Florshiem Imperial's V-Cleat heels). Those things are built to last.

frank212

Reaction score
Talking black PTBs in general, if you don't feel a black PTB is 'cool' check out this pic of Leonardo Dicaprio wearing his to help convince you ;) -

They're very cool in a retro/beatnik type of way and can be worn casually, or dressed up with a suite equally well so they are very versatile. They may not look the best when you yourself are looking straight down on them, but to others, the profile is quite attractive.
You're probably right about it looking better when you don't look straight down at them. I do admire the "black jelly bean" color as someone here had described it. Good thing shell is water resistant; these will upgrade my Rockports as my go-to rain shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads