Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

LOL nice post! And then after more than 19,000 people watch it change your mind. Patrick when your done with the Reno will you please pass it over here? ;-)

Sensationalism Hound your statement is False. You don't know where parts of your uppers were stitched together. And obviously do not understand manufacturing workflow and business, let alone an even bigger picture that exists. In addition to trying to keep the cost of your product to $150 or less than the Chinese market.
    Thank you very much for sharing those pictures. I have wondered where cigar fit into the shell rainbow and from what I could tell it was fairly close to AE Dark Brown. Now that I have a reference from your pictures it helps a lot.

Work has been a bear over the last week and I've only had time to look at the Townley's quickly last night as the sun was going down, but the color on mine looks to be closer to the AE Dark Brown than Horween #449 (AKA Dark Cognac). They look closest to my brown shell Patriots from what I can tell so far. I will know better this weekend when I have a chance to clean and polish them and hopefully the sun will finally come out:
    [​IMG]
    Left to Right: Dark Brown, #449 (Dark Cognac), truffle (cappuccino), walnut.

My C&J for RL Marlow's are the same color as my 744's above so I believe they are also #449. And my Alden Ravello chukka's are very close to the walnut above, but have acquired a little bit more red over time. Hope that helps.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

[​IMG]

3. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

So I got my Lexingtons back from redrafting. Should I be worried that the back of one shoe sticks out over the heel more than the other?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. polojock615

5. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Because I have appreciation for Allen Edmonds shoes.

I don't think one has to have a full 100% appreciation for all facets of Allen Edmonds business/management, in order to participate here, or do they? Does someone want to administer some gestapo-ish litmus test to measure each poster's undivided loyalty to AE?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

6. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

Cigar is very close to AE Dark Brown, only difference is AE Dark Brown has a slight red tint and the Cigar has a little olive to it.

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Don't have a real life picture, but I was able to mock one up using the custom shoe maker on the AE website. If you go to the custom section on the website, you'll see Brogue Suede as a choice for some of the shoes. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati_Custom+Shoes_1_40000000001_-1_1_image_0_Y_128657_

I did a MacNeil. Chocolate Suede on top, Brogue Suede on bottom. It appears the Brogues is a shade darker than the Chocolate:

[​IMG]

8. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Mediahound, A photo of yourself with an AE shoe bag being used as an oven mit, a diorama of your favorite AE store made from an AE shoebox, and you'll need to wear a "my friends went to Port Washington and all they brought me back was this lousy t-shirt" will show your true devotion to the AE brand. ;-)

I'm kidding of course! It's good to have differing opinions. That's what makes the world go around they say, right?

9. polojock615

Found out AE still has a supply of black sharkskin and some ostrich if anyone is wanting some exotic leathers.

10. polojock615

OK guys - if you could get any AE shoe in ostrich (black, chili, or brown) what would it be?

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

The best one is the one that you like the best..... The Strand is a perf captoe shortwing hybrid and the McAllister is a traditional shortwing. If you search the AE website using wingtip there are even more options available than you listed, including the MacNeil which is a LWB. Limiting it to your 2 choices I have the Strand in walnut shell and McAllister in walnut calf. There is also the shell version of the McAllister, the Cambridge, which I have in burgundy shell. In my mind that one is the flagship of the wingtip fleet and the one that I consider "best" wingtip that AE has to offer.

[​IMG]

Once again, I thank you very much for the insight! And do appreciate your knowledge.

12. Hotel Guy

Hotel Guy Senior member

Just picked up these Kenilworths in bourbon calf:

[​IMG]

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

My Quinton is brogue suede in color. Search for my earlier posts and you should be able to see real life pictures of the color.

14. zchen

zchen Senior member

Indoor picture under light, sorry about the quality
    McGraw in Chocolate Suede and Cambridge in Brogue Suede
    [​IMG]

15. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Which brings up a good point about AE's (arguably) two best balmoral offerings in its entire catalogue:

Cambridge VS. Brown Shell Strand

I say Cambridge. Im liking the bossy double sole, the burgundy is classic and versatile, and the wingtip design is virtually fail safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.