Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Congrats on your first pair! I'm sure it won't be the last.

I just used a neutral wax on my Elgins - they're similar waxy leathers.

2. cdmcallister

cdmcallister Well-Known Member

AE customer service has been great for me as well. I tend to be brand loyal and having a great customer service interaction with a company makes me even more inclined to spend my hard earned money with them.
    I think my blacks might have to be a PA or a wholecut so I have them in the closet for those occasions I need them but I'd still like to have a brogued pair for the office. I'm on the more casual end of business casual where PA's are a little dressier than I need for day to day. Heck, with the strands I'm already way ahead of most of the people I see every day who are still stuck with rubber soled kicks.

3. ESElrond

ESElrond Member

Like tampatravel mentioned above, neutral cream and wax polishes should work equally well for odd colors (personally, I use neutral for various shades of grey, blue, and white) as well as traditional colors that have contrast stitching (I've got a few pairs of casual shoes & boots that fall into this category).

In the latter case, you don't have to pay any "special" attention to avoiding the contrast stitching; just polish those areas as you would normally, if you were using color-matched polish on shoes with tonal stitching.

4. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

5. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

A quick post for any one thinking aboutpicking up a pair of Amoks now that the pricing is becoming very reasonable .I got mine 2 days ago and feel i have a pretty good idea what they are all about
    [​IMG]
    1-they are very soft and unstructured except the very toe
    2- they are unlined and comfortable without socks
    3- they are long and narrow i would not buy this shoe if i ever needed a wide(> D )
    4- i need an insole to feel support and I dont wear insoles in my other shoes (aldens and ae)
    5- mine squeak but I dont mind if this is a deal breaker for you stay away
    All said I like mine alot and they fill the niche i got them for(casual, knock around, no socks summer shoes
    6- best of all they look great the contrast of sleek and sophisticated last with the casualness of a suede chukka really works for me
    hope this helps
    mike

6. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Check these guys out. A little pricey, no?

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I have found that I wear the same size in shell and calfskin shoes. Others have noted that the shell versions are slightly larger, probably due to the leather being tougher and not able to be stretched as effectively over the last. This is then offset by the fact that the shell also does not stretch on one's foot. Not a clear answer, I am afraid. I would recommending starting with the same size.

+1!

Quote:

Indeed - they are hoping someone will consider these as collector's items? Good return policy, however.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

There isn't much available, that is for sure especially in a snuff PTB or boot. I'm really hoping that those Dundee looking suede chukas that pictures were floating around from the trunk shoe last fall come out as a production shoe. However there is the Katmai which is still available from Lands End. I purchased it a bit over a year ago on closeout and have been very pleased. They are on sale from Lands End right now for $195 and are lined which is my preference.
    [​IMG]
    I wear them through the mud and rain shooting sporting clays and skeet, treating them with Bickmore Gard-More and they have held up fine. Took this picture for the Filson bag thread pimping the Katmai's. Even though I wear them as a "rough" boot they will work well for casual wear. And I do like the Vibram lug soles but am looking at picking up a dressier pair someday.
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-allen-edmonds-katmai-3-eye-suede-boots~228871_-1.html

9. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

Followup for the below issue - AAFES took the return without any issues. It took a little while to complete the whole process. They had me ship the shoes back to Allen Edmonds directly, then asked for a fax or scan of my return shipping receipt to reimburse shipping costs.

Getting a new pair required a new order through the special order program. The new pair arrived today and both the below issues were resolved. My right ankle bone isn't rubbing, and the padding is attached well.

In my experience the shipping times have been quicker than the estimates. First order estimated 4-6 weeks with the price quote, then estimated shipping in 2 weeks on my order receipt, and ended up arriving 9 days after submitting my order. Second order estimated 6-8 weeks with the price quote, shipping in 2 weeks on my order receipt, and arrived at the 2 week mark. Both times I was surprised since I never received tracking.

10. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

In my experience, if anything dissatisfies you enough to question whether you want to return them or not, you really should just return them.

11. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

Awesome pic, and very nice gun...custom Beretta 687??

12. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Talking black PTBs in general, if you don't feel a black PTB is 'cool' check out this pic of Leonardo Dicaprio wearing his to help convince you ;) -

[​IMG]

They're very cool in a retro/beatnik type of way and can be worn casually, or dressed up with a suite equally well so they are very versatile. They may not look the best when you yourself are looking straight down on them, but to others, the profile is quite attractive.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  13. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

[​IMG]

Black shell Leeds today. Very versatile shoes in my opinion. I wear them with everything except sweatpants :cheers:

14. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

15. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I think they're Leeds, may or may not be shell however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.