Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

No

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Even if you get a pair that squeaks and talcum powder fixes it, isn't is worth it at that price?

3. larkhill97

larkhill97 New Member

I can vouch for AE's Customer Support, at least when dealing with the Amok issue. I picked up a pair of chocolate suede Amoks last summer for $125. I figured I would take a chance on the squeaking. Sure enough, after the second time I wore them, the squeaking began. There was no getting around it. I called AE, and had a great experience. They sent me a free return label, refunded my money, recrafted the shoes, and sent them back to me for free as a fit trial. I'm not sure if this is typical, but I was wowed. I've been wearing them frequently since then and have had no issues. I recommend them.
    I can confirm that this is the New Orleans in walnut. I have a pair, and the color in that picture is quite accurate.

4. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

I wouldn't wear a pair of shoes that squeak as audibly as some Amoks reportedly do if I got them for free. As for the talcum powder fix, how does that work, exactly? Sprinkle some inside the shoe? That seems... messy.

Have you experienced any squeaking with your pair, mediahound?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

5. Goosey

Goosey New Member

So I'm seriously thinking of ponying up for a Dalton shell rather than the regular Dalton. Now I want to wear the boot regularly, am I better off putting a topy on it or just recraft when the sole wears out? Not sure if it's possible to have Allen Edmonds put their combination tap on a Shell Dalton.

6. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

The shell Dalton comes with (as stated on their site) a "Double Rendenbach leather sole with combination heel". I'll pass along the advice given to me last year when I got my first pair of shell double-soled shoes:

I have found that to be true. The toes might wear down in a more pronounced fashion at the beginning, since the sole is naturally stiffer, but a bit of edge dressing after the first couple of weeks and the difference won't be noticeable at all. My Leeds and Daltons are indeed wearing like iron.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

A topy outsole is so thin and so light that it cannot transform your kicks into Frankenshoes if they weren't there already. I really dislike the curled toe look that can afflict double soled shoes ( at least those without flush-mounted toe taps), and have not found edge dressing to be a remotely effective remedy.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

8. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Code:

None as of yet.

9. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I'm with random-adam. I have two pairs of shell Dalton's, both with the J. Rendenbach double leather soles. Both have been wearing extremely well. J. Rendenbach soles are known to be some of the best leather soles out there. I personally wouldn't want to cover them up.

Use the recommended approach of wearing them for the first few times on carpet. And toe wear has a lot to do with a person's gait. None of my boots wear excessively at the toe.

Good luck with your purchase. I personally love my Dalton's.

10. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

I have them in burgundy shell, and they are very durable, nothing else on sole is needed in my opinion. My sole is still not fully broken in after many wears.

11. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Judging by how responsive Mr. Grangaard (can we change his name to Vanguard?) is, he'll address these questions, himself, on this thread. He is one of the most honest, transparent CEOs there is, and I'm sure with enough chatter he'll come forward. Regardless, I'll still buy the product no matter where AE is made, because the leadership is dedicated to making quality shoes at an affordable price, with the former taking precedence over the latter.

12. frank212

frank212 Member

I think they are the the cheapest and easiest way to preserve your good shoes . I also think the ones made by vibram are the best[/
    quote]
    is there an argument against Topys? Not allowing the shoe to breathe, covering the cool Horween stamp, etc.?[​IMG]

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Haha. I wish my stamp was still visible. It is loooong gone.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

14. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I put them on my shoes as an alternative to recrafting I can have 5 topys put on for the price of one trip to ae or alden or 3 for a trip to b nelson not to mention the worry of having your shoes in the mail .
    I notice no difference in breathability between my shoes with and without
    the only real difference I am aware of is better traction
    yes you can see the topy when sitting with your legs crossed but thats the only time i dont find them visible when standing
    as for the cool stamp just wear your shoes till the stamp is worn off before putting topys on
    there are levels of aesthetic to the bare leather sole that i can understand but dont necessarily share
    i think it just boils down to what you prefer there are advantages and disadvantages to both there is not really a "better "solution
    but aint that the way of most first world problems

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.