Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

Amazon has a generous return policy like Allen Edmond's own (just make sure the seller is Amazon), why not see if the pair you receive has squeaking problems and then decide?

2. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Thought about that, but from the reviews I'm reading on the AE website, it seems the squeaking issue doesn't manifest itself until after a week or so of wear. Would Amazon still accept return of a an obviously worn shoe? I'll have to check, but I recall from reading their return policy a few weeks ago that items must be in "new condition with tags attached" or something along those lines. Then again, if an item is defective, it shouldn't matter what condition it's in...

3. cemeg

cemeg Member

Looking to buy my first pair of Allen Edmonds (mainly to wear with a suit for interviews).

Would the Mcallisters work? If so, should I go for walnut, merlot, or bourbon?

Thanks!

4. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

That's a valid concern, however, anecdotal evidence I have garnered from the interwebs seems to show that Amazon customer support is phenomenal; they will either send you a new one or offer an additional 20% for you to keep the defective pair. Of course, YMMV. Your post has tempted me too.. USD150.. Damn..

I personally like merlot the best, I feel the colour helps to highlight the beautiful wingtip and broguing.
    EDIT: However, several of us would advise you to purchase a more conservative-looking shoe such as a captoe design like the Park Avenue for your interview.
    It all depends on the kind of image you want to portray to the interviewer and if a "fancier" dress code is appropriate to the industry you wish to work in.
    For example, wingtips would be more better suited to the media/creative industries compared to finance.
    Use the "search this thread" function and type "interview" for prior discussions on this subject.

[​IMG]

On another note, does anyone know if these are the New Orleans in walnut? They seem too light to be walnut, chestnut is a more likely colour?
    Has AE ever produced a limited run of New Orleans or the older Fort Lauderdale in chestnut?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

The real answer is black, especially if you are young and just entering the workforce (guessing you may be, if this is your first pair of AEs). You want to be safe, respectful, and conservative. Despite all we say about black shoes here, interview clothes are meant to be boring.

If you must have one of the other colors, then maybe merlot. No way you should do walnut or bourbon - too
    flashy.

Oh, and Park Avenue is probably better (less brogueing), but I think you can get away with McAllisters.

Just my two cents.

6. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Actually, strictly speaking, the best Allen Edmonds option for an interview shoe would be the black Park Avenue, followed by the black Fifth Avenue. The shoes you've mentioned are nice indeed, but there are better (i.e. more conservative and "proper") shoes for interviews. I'd stay away from the lighter colors for sure (for interview purposes, that is).

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Flyswatter - EXACTLY.

8. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Yep, you beat me to it! We basically have the same thoughts on the matter.

9. kuslamb

kuslamb Senior member

E conditioner/cleaner vs leather lotion vs shoes cream...

Looking to pick some up, but not sure which one I need. I use Saphir Renovateur about every 5-6 wears, sparingly, and then buffed with AE wax polish.

With the sale, looking to save a little and stock up - What is the replacement? Have Walnut, Bourbon and Black AE's which should be helpful.

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

There has been some discussion before about AE products made in the DR. Some shoes are made there. In other cases, just the uppers are made in DR. Other models are only made in th US. AE also cuts belts and other accessories in the DR. This is one reason why certain items cannot be custom made. DR fabricated uppers and belts are essentially fixed offerings. Products made in Wisconsin have more latitude for customization. I would highlight the CEO's comments on price control. AE retains a degree of popularity because of the classic designs (like the PA and McAllister), the accessibility afforded through numerous AE branded retail stores, Nordstrom, and Amazon, and the competitive price point. Bump up the price of AE shoes, and I suspect that consumers would move down to manufacturers offering a cheaper product even if the build quality is diminshed. Keep in mind that SF members are exceptional in their brand loyalty and price sensitivity. Many of us would continue to purchase AEs even at a higher price point.

11. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I look at it this way :
    1 ae cs is known to be responsive and helpful
    2 they are well aware of the problem they feel it is caused by the interface of suede upper and oiled sole
    3 they have even gone so far as to recommend using talcum powder as a lubricant to reduce the squeak
    4 i belive this squeak is probably the reason the shoe was discontinued
    5 taking all this into consideration i would really doubt returning this shoe would be a problem should the squeak turn out to be a serious issue
    thats just my take on it i bought a pair

12. cemeg

cemeg Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll pick up a pair of black Park Avenues.

13. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Breaking news! Doesn't the fact that the CEO posted those details [two yrs ago] indicate a certain level of transparency?

Perhaps someone could make a YouTube video to fill us in on the sordid details. He could reference that [six year old] article from 2007.

14. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Yeah... damn. Still deciding. $150 is a great deal. Hate the thought that I might have to return them over something as stupid/annoying as the friggin' shoes make a squeaking sound when walking.

15. aftercore

aftercore New Member

it does say "Not valid with any other offer" - but i'm not convinced this qualifies as an "offer?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.