• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiredandTired

Reaction score

Should be starting this Monday.  Not sure about if it's better than Father's Day though. 

So far I believe what's confirmed is certain models will be discounted down to around 250 for firsts, along with certain accessories discounted as well. The shoe bank and outlets probably have their own set of promotions. Best bet will be to check the website tomorrow or call/ email the outlets.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thought I would post a few pics of my shoes. The darker brown/chili shoe is To Boot. The rest are AE. Black McAllister, Walnut McClain, Burnished Walnut Rutledge.
Absolutely beautiful collection of shoes!

Last edited:

jkater1

Reaction score

Yeah I agree that englade123's post should be in a hall of fame somewhere! However it is too late for any of us to be saved, sigh. Congrats on your first AE shell purchase and any problems or questions throw them out here and someone will be glad to enable help you.. AE sometimes uses a lot of cream on their shell and can mute the true look of the shell but you can remove it with a little work if you happen to get a pair like that.

Good to hear that the dull finish is from using cream and can be fixed, I looked at AE shell once in the store and it was very flat and dull looking. I certainly don't need any enablers, I actually swore off buying American shell shoes after the price hike from Alden this year. It closed the gap enough for me to jump into a pair of Edward Greens and once those came I didn't see myself going back, but that didn't last long...a quick glance through this thread and that whole thought derailed.

Calder

Reaction score
I can see that, given a large enough shoe wardrobe. As for me, though, the only black shoe I need in my collection is a captoe, reserved for the most conservative/formal of situations. Thus, I wouldn't want brogueing on such a shoe.

On the other hand, I can't imagine an outfit that calls for a "casual" shoe in black, but a comparable shoe in brown/burgundy wouldn't work just as well, if not better.
If you have a pair of burgundy shell shoes, there is no outfit that ever calls for a casual black shoe.

Hmmm, well I have burgundy shell, black brogues and brown suede monks... but that probably says more about the breadth of my shoe collection than anything else.

There's a particular outfit of a Burgundy Shirt and Cream Trousers I like to wear that just doesn't look right with Burgundy shoes as well as the shirt. It works well with Black Brogues and Black Belt though.

*shrugs* your mileage may vary, as they say

For reference, of the five pairs of black shoes I own that's the only really casual one.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you have a pair of burgundy shell shoes, there is no outfit that ever calls for a casual black shoe.

I have many burgundy shell models and some burgundy calf models. I have many black shell models and some black calf models. Bals, bluchers, monks, plaintoe, captoe, etc. - All from many makers, American and British. I find there are many outfits, whether formal or more casual, that call for each color.

JohnnyGalt

Reaction score
The rutledge is an awesome shoe. Looks great, very comfortable. Softer leather than most of my other shoes.
Very happy with it.
Is the softer leather of the independence line any less durable than the standard AEs? I would assume they are more prone to scratching, but specifically I was wondering about the longevity of the independence leather vs the standard leather (both with proper care of course).

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have many burgundy shell models and some burgundy calf models. I have many black shell models and some black calf models. Bals, bluchers, monks, plaintoe, captoe, etc. - All from many makers, American and British. I find there are many outfits, whether formal or more casual, that call for each color.
Agreed. This notion that there is never any call for a black casual shoe strikes me pure i-gent fiction.

cbtaylor

Reaction score

Is the softer leather of the independence line any less durable than the standard AEs? I would assume they are more prone to scratching, but specifically I was wondering about the longevity of the independence leather vs the standard leather (both with proper care of course).

I have the Williams and they seem very durable and have held up well thus far.

robbrechter

Reaction score
Has any used Reno'Mat on Bourbon AEs? There's a strange dark spot on the top of one foot (but not on the toe cap) and the shoes are also getting scuffed up, but I'm afraid that if I use Reno'Mat then apply some light polish (have AE Walnut and some Saphir light brown colored paste), it's going to flatten the tonality of the shoe. Am I worried over nothing or should I hold out as long as possible?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed.  This notion that there is never any call for a black casual shoe strikes me pure i-gent fiction.

Did you ignore the context of my quote or do you really think someone buying his fifth pair of shoes should buy black brogues when his stated criteria is something versatile? As for wearing black shoes, I wear a black cap toe weekly, but have not worn my black casual shoes in more than two years. I would not suggest to anyone with five pairs of shoes that he has more need for (or versatility with) a pair of black brogues than a pair of burgundy shell shoes.

Last edited:

Calder

Reaction score
Did you ignore the context of my quote or do you really think someone buying his fifth pair of shoes should buy black brogues when his stated criteria is something versatile? As for wearing black shoes, I wear a black cap toe weekly, but have not worn my black casual shoes in more than two years. I would not suggest to anyone with five pairs of shoes that he has more need for (or versatility with) a pair of black brogues than a pair of burgundy shell shoes.

I don't really see how we can be misinterpreting the context of this:

That's pretty unequivocal, really.

The thing with Burgundy is that it's a really strong visual element - deep, powerful and striking. Overdoing it is really easy to do.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't really see how we can be misinterpreting the context of
That's pretty unequivocal, really.

The thing with Burgundy is that it's a really strong visual element - deep, powerful and striking. Overdoing it is really easy to do.

You just did. Again.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, yes, I misinterpreted your statement by reading the words and applying the dictionary definitions.

And yet, you can't even look up the meaning of context in that dictionary. By the way, I had no issue with your post or seven-fold's post, which is why I quoted neither of you. My issue was with the poster who labeled my advice as pure I-Gent fiction when the advice was correct for the OP's question (the same question you still have stubbornly refused to acknowledge). That's context. As is a pedantic, overly-literal poster that is ignoring the fact that his experience with a 20-plus shoe rotation may not be on point or the best advice for someone with a five shoe rotation. But hey, life seems much simpler when the tunnel vision is on.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An example of tunnel vision: a sweeping declaration that owning a par burgundy shell eliminates any call for black casual shoes.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I am in no way obliged to accept it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics