Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

So in yet another installment of this saga...

I tried on my third pair of Park Avenues again tonight, the ones I complained about so vehemently in the post above. To my pleasant surprise, the gaping doesn't seem as bad as when I first received the shoes and tried them on, oddly enough. There is still a slight amount of bowing evident when I'm standing, but none when I'm sitting. At this point--after the fuss I made initially--I'm tempted to live with this pair as-is, especially as these are seemingly flawless seconds that I got for a great deal at $215, and I'm optimistic that after some time in shoe trees, the bowing issue will further alleviate itself. Here are some pics, the first one taken while standing-up, the second while sitting down:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do the resident SF Allen Edmonds experts say? Is this slight amount of bowing acceptable? The shoes fit great, feel great, and look great, even despite the very slight amount of gaping, which I don't think anyone else will notice but me anyway. I think I've convinced myself to just be happy with these and move on, but I'm open to other opinions. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

2. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

I think they look good. I say keep them.

3. Grytter

Grytter Well-Known Member

Gi
    Give me your Rutledges!!!!

4. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

This will be my first picture post on the AE appreciation thread!

Summer has arrived in Napoli so for lunch today I wore linen and my AE Hamptons:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Socks are from Gammarelli in Rome- Pope socks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course my 2 year old son stepped right on the white part, so I'm getting out the cleaning kit.

Have a blessed Sunday everyone!

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

My first pair of shell cordovan shoes were some black Leeds that I picked up NOS on eBay for a steal. I wasn't sure what I'd do with them -- but they've since become my go-to shoe for anything involving dark denim. I'm not sure I could pull that off with a brogued closed-laced shoe. I'm not saying that black McAllisters are useless; simply that there's no place for them in my own quiver. I'd love to see an outfit involving them done up properly. With a peak-lapel suit in a festive evening setting, maybe?
    Some part of me delights in quintessential American spectators knocking around the Mediterranean on a beautiful sunny day. Nice photos!

6. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Those Park Avenues aren't gaping much at all. I'd keep them. No one is going to notice and you'll forget about it after a while. I'd just send the ladies at the Jville store a thank you card for sending you so many alternatives.

7. htjouster

htjouster Active Member

Thanks for the comments. Merlot sounds like the good, classic way to go.

8. AmericanGent

Quote:
    - Thank you sir! Plenty of odd looks from the locals - but they are still wearing coats. It's like 75 today.

9. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I am thinking of picking up a pair of Shell Cordovan Black Park Aves. I have 17 pairs of AEs, and no Park Aves. I understand that during the 91st Anniversary Sale, the calf park Aves will be on sale for $219. Any thoughts from anyone that has a pair of the shell on what I should go with?

10. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

:rotflmao: This is one of the funnier posts I've read on SF, I think it's craking me up mostly because it is way too true for me. Luckily I pulled the trigger on my #4 unicorn before they got out of the sights.
    Thank you for the sizing advise, and also thank you to the original poster of the PSA. Just bought my first pair of AE's looking forward to seeing how they stack up to my other shoes.

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

12. AmericanGent

Originally Posted by Cold Iron [​IMG]
    For your first picture post you made quite the entrance! [​IMG]

Very well done, you pulled that off nicely. Looking forward to more.
    Thank you very much!
    If I'm honest, I tried these shoes on with every pair of pants I own. They are much harder to pull off than I thought they would be!

13. willsgillen

willsgillen Well-Known Member

when exactly is the anniversary sale scheduled to be? thanks in advance

also- is this sale generally better than the father's day sale that the SA from the Shoebank told me about?

14. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I'm keeping them. :) And absolutely, the ladies at the Jville store have been fantastic, though they only sent me one exchange pair. The first of the three pairs of PAs I tried were firsts ordered from AllenEdmonds.com.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I swear these shoes gaped more the first time I tried them on. Wish I'd snapped a pic to compare. In the few days that elapsed before I tried them on again, I didn't even have shoe trees in them; they were simply placed back in the box. Maybe the way they sit in the box really does affect the bowing issue in some cases, as the Allen Edmonds CEO theorized. Regardless, I will be using shoe trees of course, so it should be a non-issue.

Now that I've got satisfactory pair of black captoes in my collection, time to start eyeing my next AE purchase, and maybe take advantage of the 20% off from Jville once again. :nodding: I'm thinking Bourbon Strands or McAllisters...

15. AmericanGent

Should be starting this Monday. Not sure about if it's better than Father's Day though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.