Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

Could someone please explain how to put I-phone picture on here?

2. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Are you on SF on you phone and trying to upload from the phone? If so, I'm not sure but I'm sure someone can address that.
    If you just want to pull the photo from your iPhone and then from your computer upload to SF then it's easy. Just sync photos.

3. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Are you on SF on you phone and trying to upload from the phone? If so, I'm not sure but I'm sure someone can address that.
    If you just want to pull the photo from your iPhone and then from your computer upload to SF then it's easy. Just sync photos.

4. htjouster

htjouster Active Member

Hey everyone. I am thinking about picking up some McAllisters during the upcoming anniversary sale and wanted to get some thoughts on the best color to go with. My current rotation consists of:

Park Ave (black)
    Strand (bourbon)
    RL Sanderson (tan) - LWB made by AE very similar to the Williams
    Neumora (dark brown)
    Patriot (burgundy)

My office dress is usually suit 2-3 days/week and sport coat/slacks the others.

I like the walnut and bourbon in theory, but my thinking is that the McAllister is similar to the Strand and Sanderson I already have in those colors. Seems like either black or merlot would make the most sense. Any thoughts between the two?

5. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

So, does this sale apply to all footwear, or only those special models?

6. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Perhaps it's my own mental shortcoming, but I could never figure out why shoes any more brogued than the Fifth Avenue's punched toecap are available in black. To me black is formal and simple and austere. If I were in your situation I'd pick up the merlot for its versatility and to complement all the punchwork on the shoe.

7. zchen

zchen Senior member

I'm definitely getting some of that Rapid City. Really like the dublin leather.

8. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

+1. A black shoe with excessive brogueing--such as the McAllister or Strand--seems rather contradictory. In my mind, black should be reserved for rather formal shoes, while brogueing is a more casual element.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  9. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Man, I am realllllllllllllly kicking myself in the butt for not getting those Rutledge 2nds at an awesome price not long ago. Damn.

10. Calder

Calder Senior member

I suppose some people would respond that cramming multiple "casual" design details onto a single shoe would result in something too casual.

Equally, sometimes you want a casual shoe, but your outfit calls for a black shoe. Thus, Black Brogues.

11. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

How does this last fit, I don't have any AE's, just Aldens, 10.5d is my TTS, 10d Barrie is a perfect fit for me. This price is just stupid for shell.

12. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

I can see that, given a large enough shoe wardrobe. As for me, though, the only black shoe I need in my collection is a captoe, reserved for the most conservative/formal of situations. Thus, I wouldn't want brogueing on such a shoe.

On the other hand, I can't imagine an outfit that calls for a "casual" shoe in black, but a comparable shoe in brown/burgundy wouldn't work just as well, if not better.

13. luvdabass

luvdabass Active Member

The rutledge is an awesome shoe. Looks great, very comfortable. Softer leather than most of my other shoes.
    Very happy with it.

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I agree with the others, so make that X3 for the merlot McAllister. I think it would fit in perfectly with your current collection plus it is an American classic IMO.
    I am a 9.5D on the Barrie and a 10D on the #1 last the Townley is on. Besides being an AE you can actually return it if it doesn't fit, just wear them inside first to make sure that they do fit. And you better sit down for this... AE will pay the return shipping. If I were you I'd call them first thing in the morning when they open. Looks like they open at noon on Sunday EST. 216-591-0344

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

If you have a pair of burgundy shell shoes, there is no outfit that ever calls for a casual black shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.