• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
It cooled down enough to wear pants, but I think hashtagging #WhiteShoesAtTheBlackShow might be a bit too bold.

Last edited:

cbtaylor

Reaction score
Nice, Might have to get those

Discount I saw on Dappered, for bigger size gents

DestinationXL: 25% off Highest Priced Item including Allen Edmonds w/ NEWH

They make these up to size 15?
The Picks: Flatiron – $251.25 ($325), 5th Street Boots – $262.50 ($350)
Y’know what they say about a guy with big feet? They say he can get 25% off Allen Edmonds Shoes at DestinationXL.com today if he signs up for their email list. It’s actually 25% off your highest priced item with the code NEWH, and once you sign up (lower right hand corner of their website) you’ll get a confirmation email. Click through from that and you should see the offer appear. Use code NEWH at checkout. And actually, you don’t even have to be a true big foot, since their sizing starts at 10 for their selection of AE shoes. Strangely, there aren’t any half sizes. And the 10 and 11 options might only come in wide widths. But, it’s been awhile since the larger guys in the readership got a hat-tip in their direction. Thanks to Andrew R. for the style tip.

Last edited:

frank212

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a nice pair of Horween leather shoes, any CXL or shell. Get yourself a pair of ankle boots made out of CXL, and you'll never have to worry about the rain and ahving to wear corrected-grain shoes again.

CXL? I'll have to look into that. Once I log a few more wearings of my shells, I'll have the courage to wear them in the rain. I read that new shells are susceptible to water spots. That would make me sad.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the cream is a treatment by Horween or AE, presumably to condition, protect, and extend the life of the shell, wouldn't it behoove us to keep it stock rather than strip it for a shine?

New Shell Owner [with another (Leeds) enroute]
Congrats on another pair of shell! They are addicting and do not come with a warning label about it either.

I was nervous at first about saying that I use Renomat to strip the cream but so far it hasn't an issue at all. AE for what ever reason decides to use cream, but Alden and every other company that makes shell products will say to use only a little wax and then very little and seldom. I do not strip all of my shell shoes but let time and brushing take care of it if it is not too bad. But some of them are just loaded with it. I do believe in the Mac method and brushing shell with a heavy layer of cream on top does not allow the oils to come out. And I do feel wax provides more protection than cream from water.
Soho today.

Awesome! So everyone that wanted a pair took Paul up on his offer and emailed him to see about getting a pair, right?
+1 same here. Just showing up in something that's shined, and not a square-toe, bicycle toe loafer with a rubber sole will put you in the top 10% here. I actually had a business partner (who does the majority of interviewing of new candidates for our firm) comment one time that one of the candidates came in Allen Edmonds, so he must be a "hitter." I smiled.

We on this forum are in the (very) small minority.
This is so true where I am also. And we are in the very small minority.

Lombard in burgundy today; my foul weather shoes. Freezing rain in April isn't fun at all.
Nicely done! I hear you about the freezing rain and today have that with a bunch of that white rain mixed in too :-(

One of my foul weather shoes I wear happens to be AE cobbler leather, an old pair of Sheltons. Renomat cleans up the creases fairly well but doesn't strip the factory finish off. They can handle a lot of abuse.

I also wear them as a "fun" shoe. They handle spilled drinks and beer very well also.

And, don't forget, as long as you wear Allen Edmonds shoes to an interview, it is permissible to lean back in your chair, put your hands behind your head and kick those AE's up onto the interviewer's desk, so he/she can admire your good taste in shoes. This frequently goes hand in hand with addressing the interviewer by his/her first name and asking about a signing bonus.

You cannot do this with a square bicycle toe loafer, however, and must go through the interview process like the rest of the drones.
Absolutely perfect and pretty sure you put the first smile on my face all day! And don't forget to tell him how you want your stock options done...

Shell Patriots today.
It is because of YOU that I now own a pair of shell Patriots. The first loafer that I found which has ever fit me correctly, thank you. And because of you I also ordered the Filson wheeled carry on which came 2 days ago. I didn't get tan however but brown to go with my 258 and sportsman bag. My pullman is otter green. No idea why that bag doesn't get any mention in the Filson thread, what a great bag thank you once again.
I just jumped on these. I've been really admiring that Freemans Sporting Club pair for a while, so needless to say I'm quite excited. Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, I'm an 8.5D in the Strand, but the one 8.5D calf Kenilworth I tried on may've been a tad big for me. If these don't work out for me, I hope I can find them a home amongst you all.
Nice score to say the least!! And I hope they do fit you. Of course if they were a 10D I'd likely choke to death just trying to say that :)

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CXL? I'll have to look into that. Once I log a few more wearings of my shells, I'll have the courage to wear them in the rain.  I read that new shells are susceptible to water spots.  That would make me sad.

Well that is just a matter of how you treat or wear them. You can protect shell/chromexcel from the weather and have gorgeous dress shoes. Or you can wear them in the weather, and get wonderful patina. The spots go away, and you can (if you don't mind darkening them) sno-seal them to get a beautiful, super-weather-resistant boot. CXL gets a lot more beat up, but also can be buffed to a shine and develops beautiful wear patterns. Unfortunately, it's been a year or two since AE made CXL boots (Bayfields and North Plattes) but maybe they'll come back!

Close Hoarse

Reaction score
Congrats on another pair of shell! They are addicting and do not come with a warning label about it either.

>Snip<

It is because of YOU that I now own a pair of shell Patriots. The first loafer that I found which has ever fit me correctly, thank you. And because of you I also ordered the Filson wheeled carry on which came 2 days ago. I didn't get tan however but brown to go with my 258 and sportsman bag. My pullman is otter green. No idea why that bag doesn't get any mention in the Filson thread, what a great bag thank you once again.
Nice score to say the least!! And I hope they do fit you. Of course if they were a 10D I'd likely choke to death just trying to say that :)
Is it permitted for me to mention the Shell Patriots for sale on SF?

Thanks,

CH

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it permitted for me to mention the Shell Patriots for sale on SF?  I do not want to run afoul of the rules.

Thanks,

CH

i think people look the other way when you're looking to pass along a deal at the same price you paid. doesn't seem like that's the case here...

Last edited:

Close Hoarse

Reaction score
i think people look the other way when you're looking to pass along a deal at the same price you paid. doesn't seem like that's the case here...
Thank you. I will only use my signature for urls henceforth.

CH

PK35216

Reaction score
delete

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
Last year's anniversary sale was extremely solid. Here's to hoping we get some similar deals!

sungmineyo

Reaction score

Can’t get enough of red and black combo. Still struggling with AE cordovan shine........

PK35216

Reaction score
I just jumped on these. I've been really admiring that Freemans Sporting Club pair for a while, so needless to say I'm quite excited. Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, I'm an 8.5D in the Strand, but the one 8.5D calf Kenilworth I tried on may've been a tad big for me. If these don't work out for me, I hope I can find them a home amongst you all.

You beat me to it! Keep me in mind if they don't fit.

Thanks.

jvc44

Reaction score
Anybody ever heard of Townley brown cordovan ? I got the deal for you !let me know on here I'll give you details who has them, it's a AE retail store!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've a couple questions about the Park Ave shells.

a) Did AE always have PA shells available? I seem to recall looking at their shell cordovan collection a few months ago and not noticing them.
b) Any issues with PA shell? I was going to go with Carmina (I dislike Alden
peepwall[1].gif
), but if there aren't any problems with PA shell, I'd rather save the $400 dollars.

jvc44

Reaction score
These shells called Townley look like fifth aves with brougeing around the eyelets and heel absolutely beautiful cigar cordovan for $299 the sales agent said they where made for Europe and this store ended up with all stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads