Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

And, don't forget, as long as you wear Allen Edmonds shoes to an interview, it is permissible to lean back in your chair, put your hands behind your head and kick those AE's up onto the interviewer's desk, so he/she can admire your good taste in shoes. This frequently goes hand in hand with addressing the interviewer by his/her first name and asking about a signing bonus.

You cannot do this with a square bicycle toe loafer, however, and must go through the interview process like the rest of the drones.

2. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

Judging by your posts so far, I would reccomend staying away from any and all seconds.

That said, yes, AE does have a problem with gaping and on more than just the PA. I've seen it on a few pairs of seconds in my possession (Elgin, Cambridge) (albeit to more minor extremes), but I don't mind it all that much. Keep in mind that AE has a very large inventory of shoes and it's possible that they are still winding through pairs from a while back. Yeah, they could probably beef up the QA department to enable them to do a 100% inspection of outgoing orders, but this would be very costly since you would have to physically measure the opening of each pair (an eye test wont be able to capture the problem like many other flaws). The way I see it, you have two options if you want a pair of PA's:

1) Go to an AE retail store and find a pair that works

2) Wait a while for the problem to be corrected and then place your order

3. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

It's an epidemic in my office too. They can't help it. The dude at Banana Republic or Steve Madden is eager to sell them some corrected grain shoes and they're eager to look like everyone else. It's safe and they're not that expensive....but in actuality they are expensive because they're "disposable" shoes.

4. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

[​IMG]

Shell Patriots today.

5. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Gentlemen,

I have a situation. I want to pick up these babies on the bay. They are my size and they are a good price. HOWEVER, they are not the standard McAllisters. 6215 is the model number for the black polished cobbler version, meaning they are calf leather with a laquer on top to give them a high shine.

Should I stay away, or should I go for them? Can the laquer be stripped off with Renomat? Do any of you have experience with polished cobler shoes from AE?

Thanks.

6. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Those are very handsome shells!

7. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I remember some on this thread suggesting that Polished Cobbler being corrected grain leather.

Does anyone know if the upcoming sale will include belts? I would love to find some belts to match my Brown, Bourbon and Burgundy AEs

8. Al in Philly

I asked the AE live chat people and they said it's just calf leather with a laquer on top to give a high shine.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

9. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

It is corrected grain. If you can't see the pores, it's not full grain. I asked them one time an they told me it was corrected grain.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

My understanding is corrected grain as well. I'd stay away.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

12. Al in Philly

Arrgh!! I'm mad that they are CG, but I'm glad you guys are in my life to give me guidance...

Did I just take it too far? [​IMG]

13. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

These look nice, I want a plain toe shell, I may prefer these over Leeds as well

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

No, not too far, but you have inspired OptoDoc to buy a plane ticket to Philly so he can show up on your doorstep to give you a hug and say, "I know exactly how you feel, Al. Exactly how you feel."

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Someone better jump on these! I see Cold Iron or Buckeye or someone else berating us all if these are around for too long!

BTW, the seller is an SF member.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.