Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Not true, as you say. The 2 is way narrower than the 7. Not even close.

Edit: Was comparing to the 7, not the 5...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

2. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

thanks for all the reply i do have a 10.5E strand which is on the 5 lasts and i heard that's pretty similar to 2 lasts. I usually wear 11D. i guess i'll need to go to the store and try them before i pull the trigger.

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Looking at this again, the MacNeil is on the 7. So I mistakenly compared that to the 2. But if you do try the Player shoe, please post with your experience!

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

5. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

i picked up a pair of Bayfield's for $160 from amazon over the summer to use as beaters. so far, they have not disappointed. comfortable right out of the gate

6. Vigilant

Vigilant Senior member

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I see the Bayfield has a rubber sole. Thoughts on the sole? Good for all weather?

Thinking about it, what's the purpose of a boot? For me, it's wearing in bad weather. Why would you wear leather soled boots? (I do have some)

8. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

I have or had both. The Bayfield I returned because I wanted something dressier (this was before the Fifth Street). The Dalton I just purchased a few weeks back. It's a nice looking boot. I have narrow feet so went down a half size. Could still use a narrower heel. That said, I like it a lot. As mentioned, looks good with jeans. I wear them to work (business casual) no problem.

9. rostov

rostov Senior member

I find the AE lug sole on the Bayfield and Ashbury has a good grip in rain and intend to find out with snow, when we get some. I also spoke to the guys in the store and they told me that getting Daltons with rubber soles is possible (for a fee), just call and ask.

10. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

+1 on the AE's rubber soled dress shoes. For the most part, you can't even tell they are rubber. They are so sexy! My suggestion is to size down, and go wider. I did that and it's worked. For example I went from an 11D to a 10.5E. Try something like that

11. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I have the Lombard and, if I am simply standing, you would never know it's a rubber sole. It's very comfortable walking distances and I don't hesitate to wear it in less-than-stellar weather. It's not my "best" AE, but it's definitely my favorite all-around shoe.

12. Dr. D

Dr. D Senior member

Anyone have a pic (or have a link to one) with the walnut cordovan and the calf walnut side by side? I have the calf strands but I can't really justify the shells if the color is too close. I am thinking it might be better to get some Alden whiskey LWBs instead...

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I have both the Bayfield and Shell Dalton boots. And waiting on arrival of the Yuma and Cascade which I see both as more of casual "beater" type boots. Even though one of the customer photo shows his Yuma boots with a 20 ga. AyA shotgun in B&W on the AE site.

The Dalton can definitely fit in well with business casual IMO and I am wearing it to work outside of the 3 months of lousy sledding they have here in Mn. Couldn't get the Dalton with rubber soles, I asked AE about it and they said only the shoes listed on the custom page had that option. I just picked them up from the cobbler last night after getting half soles (Vibram) and toe taps put on. The guys at the shop were very impressed with the Shell Dalton Wingtip boots to say the least. Next summer I will send them to Nick in NYC to have commando soles put on. The Bayfield is a great boot and the fit on me is snug but perfect, and is being discontinued. You might want to jump sooner than later if you want one. The sole is outstanding for inclement weather IMO.

14. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I've seen them side-by-side and they are, to me, very different. To someone who is not into shoes, they will look basically the same though. They are similar, but the cordovan is a much deeper, rich finish.

In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure I personally care for the walnut cordovan though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.