Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

That's long gone. I think J'ville was doing shell loafers (Patriots?) 2nds for $150. Someone correct me on this. It was a screaming deal. I think they were the only outlets that did this.

2. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Port Washington had a deal for $189 on shell cordovan Patriots. Unfortunately, that ship sailed away almost two months ago.

3. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Thx Cold Iron, I ordered similar micro fiber cloths and renomat. Hopefully, I can get some nice shine on my AE shells

4. frank212

frank212 Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Septimus [​IMG]
    A "cap toe" has a separate pice of leather that "caps" the toe. There is a line of stitching that runs across it, connecting the cap to the rest of the shoe. A "plain toe" has a front that is all one piece of leather. On the Vernon, there are those lines of holes (called "brogueing" that runs across the front of the shoe, making a kind of "virtual cap," which is why it looks kind of like a cap toe.
    As for your question, the Vernons are a bit less traditional than a true cap toe. But in my opinion, if the Vernon fits you better, it's a pretty reasonable substitute for all but the most conservative workplaces, albeit a bit flashier. Most people won't notice, just like you didn't.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this will be your only interview shoe, don't get the Vernon. Not because it's a plaintoe (plaintoe is fine for interviews), but because its eyelet design is non-tradiional. As Septimus stated, most people won't notice, but some will. You don't want to be the candidate with the dandy shoes.

None of the other 8-lasts are appropriate interview shoes so order the AE 5-last captoes or wingtips in EE, and if they don't feel right, return them and get another brand, unless you're interviewing at AE.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

5. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Wingtips for an interview? I think those would be more "dandyish" and less appropriate than the Vernon for interviews, though I'm not a fan of the Vernon, either.

6. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

8. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Where are these deals available? Where do you buy?

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Nice. Wish I could get these in black.

10. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

If you're being a purist, then yes, this is the case. However, you should see how some people dress (let alone the crap shoes they wear) when interviewing at my company. No one here would fault you for one second for wearing black wingtips to an interview. In the least, wearing those wouldn't detract from your credentials for the position.

I think most of us forget that the majority of society cares roughly 0.5% about their footwear. Simply wearing shoes that don't look like atrocities puts one two-steps ahead of everybody else.

11. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

You and me both!

12. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

+1 same here. Just showing up in something that's shined, and not a square-toe, bicycle toe loafer with a rubber sole will put you in the top 10% here. I actually had a business partner (who does the majority of interviewing of new candidates for our firm) comment one time that one of the candidates came in Allen Edmonds, so he must be a "hitter." I smiled.

We on this forum are in the (very) small minority.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

13. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

[​IMG]

Lombard in burgundy today; my foul weather shoes. Freezing rain in April isn't fun at all.

14. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

This comment is spot on. I often interview co-op candidates from leading business master program in country. And I rarely see one in appropriate interview shoes, most of them wear square toe black loafer type of shoes. We don't screen candidates by their taste in footwear but nice dress shoes definitely make good impression.

15. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

I like!!! Wish those were made in shell!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.