Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

From what I understand you are getting the shine on the Alden shell because of the way Alden finishes it, not because of the way shell is naturally.

It may stretch it marginally if you are using the correct shoe tree size, but shouldn't stretch it so much that the shoe no longer fits.

2. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Has anyone requested relasting their shoes slightly during the AE recrafting process? I know cobblers usually can adjust the size smalle i.e. from a 9 to a 8.5 in the same width. I have a few pairs of 9D that fit, but I recently found my true "perfect" fit is actually 8.5E. From what I gathered from my discussions with some sales associates. 8.5Es and 9Ds start off their lives as identically sized pieces of leather, they are only stretched on the last and stitched together in a slightly different shape.

Thanks!

3. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

My Strands had similar marks on them when they were new (see this thread). Not sure if this will be the case for you, but after using some AE cream polish, this went away completely.

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Any word on the rumoured new boot line-up?

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Some of the AE shell is covered with more cream than others, I'd say 1 in 3 or 4 have been just buried in it like you describe. Above is what works for me. As soon as your done cleaning the shoe with Renaveutor don't forget the first step of the Mac method is to use a damp rag and wipe down the shoe. I agree it is hard to get a good shine on cream LOL and I have some that you could actually see brush marks on the surface it was so thick. But once you get it off the Mac method does work. My AE shell shines and glows just as well as my Alden now.

The cheapest place for bulk Microfiber cloths that I have found is Amazon under Amazon Basics. If you spend over $25 it is free shipping so I get the 48 pack which is ~$28
    http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloth-Pack/dp/B009FUF6DM

Good luck the results are more than worth the work to clean them IMO.

6. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I have those exact shoe trees and those exact shoes. Mine haven't stretched one bit. Those shoe trees at STP are one of the best values I've bought there.

7. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Restored Strands in the field for a site visit. Glacage on the captoe.

[​IMG]

8. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Looks great, Al.

9. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

No offense, but there are plenty of other black stitch caps available...if you're happy with AE otherwise, why swear against the brand for all models of shoes just because one doesn't work. Seems like a bit of a childish response. As if the CEO isn't aware of the problem and trying to fix it.

Obviously the bowing with the PAs is frustrating and it's clearly a problem that AE recognizes and is trying to fix, but there are still plenty of other really great shoes offered that frankly are hard to beat at the price points available.

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Don't agree. I used to own a Ford Explorer with significant problems. Totally unacceptable since I bought it new. After I got rid of that car I swore off Fords for life. Sure, they have some nice models etc. People tell me that Ford is a great product now since I they didn't take the bailout, but one bad experience is enough to tell me to stay away.

11. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

If you truly want to avoid AE for black captoe, you can't go wrong with Alden 901 or 907. I have the 901's and they are great.

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Quote: Thank you, Sir. Most of my staff has daily words of encouragement regarding my footwear and general sense of style. It is only the clinic that I go to on Wednesday afternoons that is way out in the country where my staff had the comments about my footwear being "old-mannish" or "like women's shoes" (when it comes to my dress ankle boots). I've come a long way in advising them on the differences between style and fashion.

13. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

I see what you're trying to get accross...but I still wouldn't write off AEs just because of a PA defect that is known to both the buyer and the company, and one which the company is trying to resolve. Maybe I am too much of an AE faithful! :embar:

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I think you are making some sweeping conclusions based on your limited experience. Just because your Fifth Avenues fit you without any gaping issue does not mean that you do not have a fit issue with the Park Avenues. Shoes on the same last can fit people differently. For example, I have a low volume foot and some gaping on my Park Avenues when I walk. I, however, have no such gaping in my Walnut Strands. My Strands also fit better than my PA's - even though they are the exact same size on the same last.

Maybe you have received three defective shoes in a row, but maybe you have a fit issue that is manifesting itself most prominently with the PA. Maybe it is a combination of an inherent flaw in the PA that is exacerbated by your fit. You may never know, but it does not mean you should swear off all AE's.

I would not keep trying PA's, however. Why not take the suggestion for Meermin, Andrew Lock or Alden. I think they are better suggestions than the PA, even if you had no fit issue.

15. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

+1. Also, with all due respect, nobody has died, you still have your job, and you can still go buy a box of Krispy Kremes for $6. All is ok in the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.