Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Where do you see them? I haven't seen them made recently.

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think the Fifth Street have single Butyl leather soles too.

3. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Here's the butyl sole on my custom Neumok. I like it.

[​IMG]

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I have them on the 744 LTD shell boots and love them. In fact they are so good I don't think that I'm going to bother putting Vibram lug half soles on them. On the other hand the 5th St. Boot also has them and they are totally different. Not sure if it was a bad batch or what but they are very soft and pick up stones and rocks badly. There are some large boulders in here:
    [​IMG]

And use the serrated edge of a butter knife to clean them up, it leaves some large craters:
    [​IMG]
    These I will eventually get around to putting a thin dress half sole on to protect the butyl soles. But I suspect there was an issue with them to start with. Someone else said that theirs chipped easily which I would think means they were too hard, where as mine were too soft. Not sure how common this is.

I do Patrick, custom order with natural welt.
    [​IMG]

With burgundy shell and black calf Leeds trifecta.
    [​IMG]

The natural welt makes them more casual which is what I was shooting for, but not too casual.

5. calidist

calidist Senior member

Does the butyl sole last significantly longer than the typical oak sole?

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

7. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

You can get the butyl in a single sole. i am having a pair of MacNeils and a PTB done with the sole.

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Well said, Cold Iron. I love the butyl sole on my 744s, because they are just the perfect amount of "grippiness". Plain leather soles can get slippery on smooth surfaces like marble, particularly when the surface is wet. I also think butyl is a little more water resistant, although they still have stitching, so I'd stop well short of calling them waterproof. I would not hesitate to get them on a less rugged shoe, as well. I might even choose them over the combination/v-tread for a dress shoe, depending on how they looked.

9. pomofo

pomofo Active Member

I just tried the tan polish for the first time on a pair of walnut Park Avenues and I wasn't impressed. It's yellow wax polish, and when the wax catches on the stitching it leaves little bits of yellow residue that contrast horribly against the darker thread. I've never used the mid-tan, but I would imagine that it would be closer in hue to walnut than the tan polish is.

10. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Somebody please guide me on AE cordovan caring. I never had this problem with Alden shell cordovan, but with all AE shells, there is crazy amount of factory polish on shoes.
    It blocks nature shine of cordovan. I used saphir renovatuer over 10 times on one of brown shell, I still get brown polish off shoes.
    I do use mac method to care my shoes, but I can't get shine like alden cordovan on AE.
    I remember, someone was going to use renomat on shell to remove polish off the shoes.
    Can anyone comment on that method?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  11. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Try shoppers drug mart. Some of them have kiwi "light tan". I bought mine at one in Union station.

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I have Renomat on its way to me for exactly this purpose. I'll report back when I get it and use it on my shell.

13. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

A follow-up on this saga for anyone interested...

I received my second pair of black Park Avenues from the Jville store today, and they too have slight but nonetheless bothersome gaping. This is now my third pair in a row of brand-new, direct from AE Park Avenues that suffer from gaping. I'm rather peeved at this point, and frankly I'm ready to give up on Allen Edmonds altogether. I'm happy with my pair of brown Fifth Avenues that don't gape (and proves this isn't an issue of improper fit or my foot not being compatible with the last), but 0 for 3 on Park Aves is ridiculous. This isn't what I had in mind when deciding to drop some serious money on what is supposed to be the premier American-made men's shoe. It's rather unfortunate, because I otherwise really like the design and quality of the Park Avenue and many other shoes in the Allen Edmonds product line.

Mr. Grangaard, if you're still reading this thread, I encourage you to take care of the problem of gaping/bowing around the ankles once and for all, as you're about to lose me as a customer because of it. I normally wouldn't bother appealing directly to a CEO over such a matter, but you seem to genuinely care about complete customer satisfaction and perfection in quality of your product, which I really appreciate. I know I am not alone in the sentiment that this seemingly trivial issue ruins the otherwise beautiful look of your shoes. It's a shame, too, as I had my eye on quite a few of the shoes in AE's lineup to eventually add to my wardrobe. But if it's going to take 3+ tries to get a pair free of this construction defect every time I buy a new pair of AE shoes, then forget it. In my mind, part of the appeal of purchasing quality products such as Allen Edmonds shoes is knowing that it's going to be right the first time, every time. Not 25% of the time, which has been my experience.

I made one more request to Monica at the Jville store for another exchange, though I know by now she's probably frustrated with me. If this fourth pair of Park Avenues has the gaping issue, I'll disappointingly start looking elsewhere to fill my need for a black captoe oxford. Perhaps Meermin, Andrew Lock, or maybe I'll even make the leap to Alden. They seem to be able to make shoes that don't gape... :embar:

14. slider17

slider17 Active Member

ok here is my dilema.

i recently bought a stack of wooden shoe trees from sierra trading post.
    pretty much these ones. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-shoe-trees~d~399/

i have a bunch of AE shoes that i got them for. when i place the shoe tree in one of the shoes, say the park avenue, i am worried about one thing.
    because u have to push the heel part of the shoe tree into the toe compartment, so it all fits inside the shoe, does that not stretch the shoe lengthwise over time??

15. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Ohhh thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.