Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

echoing the above sentiments--you should try some conditioner first, then some cream and wax polish if the scuffs persist. they likely won't. you'll likely have to get used to seeing similar scuffs that you incur (legs of a rolling chair, gas/brake/clutch pedals), and they are super easy to get rid of.

if you aren't satisfied after your attempts, you could even consider returning or exchanging the shoes yet again (granted you don't ruin them--which would anyway admittedly be difficult to do).

2. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

these would be great as interview shoes. the practical difference between these and the park avenues is minimal, and, to me, the vernons aren't so far out there as to draw unnecessary attention. your feet will thank you after a long day of walking standing, if something like that is in store for you!

3. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Thanks. The conditioner worked great and I'm wearing them this morning.

4. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Also, remember to never use wax polish on areas of the shoe that crease. Only use on the toe portion and heel, unless you plan on stripping the wax off every couple of weeks. See the shoe polishing thread for more info, that thread changed my whole mindset about shoe care.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I'm a 10D on the 1 last including shell Daltons. But I'm also a 10D on the 5 last with the exception of the rough collection shoes. The shell Patriot in 10D fits me perfectly. I have a low volume foot, not sure if that helps or not.

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

For those with the V-tread tap sole: Is the rubber portion simply glued and/or stitched on top of a full leather sole, or is there a portion of the leather sole that is cut out so that the rubber portion sits flush with the leather portion? Or is the rubber portion entirely rubber (no leather above it at all)?

7. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Some fun summer shoes that I picked up from the Jeffersonville AE outlet (and their unadvertised 20% off sale) on the way back from visiting relatives in OH last week. First shoe for me on the new 3 last.

[​IMG]

8. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

The rubber is stitched on. A portion of the leather sole, from what I can tell, is cut out so that the rubber sits flush. So yes, from what I can tell, there is a leather sole above the rubber.

9. htjouster

htjouster Active Member

I am a 9D in both the Patriot (calf) and 5 last. I will say that I have a relatively low-volume foot and the Patriot is tight (although not uncomfortable) over my midfoot. I could see someone with a higher arch needing to make a size adjustment.

10. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I agree. I am a true 9D in Park Avenue, and have a relatively low instep, however, I do feel the squeeze on my cordovan Patriots. One pair has been getting a bit looser with each wear but I still have aches with one of the pairs when my socks are (slightly) too thick.

11. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

Anyone know a place in downtown Toronto I can pick up some kiwi tan polish to shine my walnut strands? Tried Novelty Shoe but to no avail =(

12. otc

otc Senior member

Anyone have further commentary on the Butyl soles? Can you get them in single soles (e.g. could I recraft a pair of shoes with butyl without having to go with the double soles that are used on the boots)?

When I ordered my Daltons, I didn't realize there was even anything different--just thought they had colored the sole to match the rest of the boot...but then I realized that even when the sole scuffs on things, it doesn't reveal layers of normal looking leather and I looked it up and realized it was the butyl leather sole. It didn't say what that meant but over the past winter, I have noticed that they do seem to do very well with wet streets. I don't end up with wet socks after walking around in the rain.

Figured this might be mostly because of the double sole taking longer to soak through but I found this quote from AE customer service:
    So that explains it. Are there any downsides to this? Seems like the best of both worlds--you get a true leather sole, but you get a large amount of the water resistance of a rubber sole. Its not like it is an ugly color--I think it would actually do great on the bottom of some black park avenues (assuming it is available in a single leather sole).

13. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Though the AE website says others, I believe the Neumok has single butyl soles. See this very informative post from MoneyWellSpent for more information.

14. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Where are the pictures?

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Anybody have pictures of the dark brown shell Leeds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.