Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

Foo, I thought these were the pinnacle of shoe-dom?

[​IMG]

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

In Europe, you'd never see a stylish man wearing shoes with stitches showing. Even when European men do more casual things like hiking or hunting, they dress in a more sophisticated fashion. It's just about being more attentive to detail! You don't need the stitches to show for the shoes to be tougher. When they show, it's just more lazy finishing or meant to look rustic.

3. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

There is no disagreement as to whether European style and American style differ. The disagreement here pertains to whether the boot you recommended is a valid recommendation for the individual in question.

As far as the stitches, I wouldn't call their inclusion lazy. Rather, I'd say it was intentional and an aesthetic choice. Yes, it makes the shoes appear more rustic, but stitching may be used for stylistic purposes, and that pertains to the eyelets around a classic chukka.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Sizzle: Foo is pulling your leg. Check out his posts today in other threads, like the Good Taste thread. If not, I cannot wait for his fit picture tomorrow wearing his wholecuts with no socks, cropped pants, a bright red pullover and FU jacket.

5. mafoofan

Horses for courses, but personally, I like to be more stylish than that. The little holes and all that extra stitching scream low quality. I know, I know--Prada did a lot of similar holed-up designs a couple years ago, but again, it takes a discerning eye to tell that they were done that way on purpose.

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Nice. Which styles were these?

7. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I am relatively aware of mafoofan's ways, but for the sake of this thread, I find it valid to discuss when less than optimal recommendations are made.

8. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Couldn't have said it better myself. Those boots posted would not fit anything in my wardrobe. Just not my style, and my office is very business casual, so I can get away with most any shoe. And this is not my only boot, I have most bases covered. A wholecut as mentioned would be nice though.

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

C'mon Mafoofan, you know you're comparing apples and oranges here. You were the proponent of the Alden LWB One Shoe back in the day. These are totally different aesthetics. And, I might point out, the gentleman with the Dundees in not wearing a suit!

Is this an April Fool's joke? Or did someone hijack your username?

10. mafoofan

Fashion is global today! I don't really think of style as being "European" or "American." It's more about where you draw your inspiration from. It just happens that--quality-wise--the Italians make the best shoes in the world (Ferragamo, Testoni, Tod's, etc.). Sure, there are a few outliers, like Bally and Hermes, but they are all part of the same Continental school. Budget American brands might be a good value, but they are always a step (or two) behind.

We have to think forwards, not backwards! Like I said, if you are trying to make a statement, then sure, stitches showing and holes and whatever can make sense, but if you are just looking for a good shoe to wear day-to-day, those things should be avoided if possible!

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Ah. Someone caught him. I suspected, as you can see, but had not seen his posts in other threads.

(Although I have to say his Thom Browne references were very suspicious.)

Bravo, Mafoofan! And I mean that sincerely. You've caused a stir while still being polite about it; been a few jerks around here lately.

12. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

The idea that inspiration may be drawn from different regions implies that regional variations exist. As to the concept of style being global, I disagree. What may be suitable and acceptable for one region may not be appropriate for all. Would western fashion be absolutely acceptable in Afghanistan? That may be a bit on the extreme side, but both locations fall within the global classification you presented.

As far as quality, I agree that it's a spectrum. However, I don't find the quality of these to be anything short of acceptable. These are well-made shell chukkas, and they apparently work within the style and budget parameters of the individual who posted them.

I don't think stitching and a good-looking shoe for day-to-day wear are mutually exclusive concepts. While this sort of stitching may not be the best choice for pairing with more formal suits, wearing wholecuts with jeans would not work. There is not oneShoe for every outfit.

I'm starting to wonder how much of your posts in this thread today have been of then trolling variety.

13. mafoofan

I recently wore a shemagh over a leather Mao jacket with painted corduroys and vintage motorcycle boots. So, style certainly can be global! You just have to think globally!

I agree, budget matters. I didn't mean to offend anyone by suggesting things that might be financially out of reach! I just thought for discussion's sake I'd introduce some more sophisticated ideas from a broader context.

Of course not! Every outfit has to craft itself. Michelangelo once said that sculpting was like freeing a predetermined form from the rock imprisoning it. He never quite knew what would reveal itself until he was finished! So, why should fashion be any different? Every day is new and full of possibilities.

14. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Mafoofan, I'm not sure what you mean. Can you share some pictures of yourself showing these styles off? It would really help in visualizing them.

15. mafoofan

I wish I could, but I don't like to steal from myself by photographing my outfits. Each one lives its own life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.