Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Best of luck! I hope your next pair doesn't have a problem. It will be interesting to see what happens, and please keep us informed. In any event, I'm glad your Fifth Avenues are working out so well!

2. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

To add to the bowing discussion, I came to AE after living in the Cole Haan, Bostonian, J&M Made in India/China world (pre-SF). Supposedly, AE is a vast upgrade over these shoes. Yet, I've had more than a few AEs that have had this bowing issue (and I'm not alone). I don't recall the Cole Haans etc. shoes having the bowing issues that AE's have had. Via exchanges and returns, my issues have been rectified, but I've gotta think it's something on AE's end.

3. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Exactly the comparison I was looking for, too... Thanks!

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I agree it is not fit in every instance, but doesn't this more go to my point that most of the time the bowing/gaping seems to involve the Park Avenue? Is it a defect particular to the PA? Don't know. Does it have something to do with how the black calfskin in the PA is more rigid? That's my suspicion. As others have noted, the black calfskin for the PA's is more rigid and tougher to break-in. Pure speculation, but I wonder if this plays a role in the bowing/gaping issue.

5. dustygator

dustygator Member

Does anyone think that the bowing issue might have to do with AE moving the initial leather work to the Dominican Republic? In the past, the AE collection shoes were completely made in the DR and the regular shoes, completely in the USA. Now, at least some of the made in the USA have "Made in the USA of fine imported leather" stamped on the insole (my Strands have this for example and have slight bowing on only the left shoe). Apparently this is because the company has moved some of the initial leather work (stitching of leather pieces into the 'whole' upper for instance) to their DR facilities. Now, not all Allen Edmonds shoes have leather from offshore sources, but it seems to be some of the high demands models, mostly 5 last, like the Strand, Fifth Avenue, etc. It's entirely possible that lesser quality handiwork in making the upper could lead to inconsistent uppers that lead to the bowing problems. Just throwing this idea out there.

6. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Hey Sizzle, are those AE laces? I like the size!

7. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Yes, those are just the 30" colored, waxed laces that AE offers.

8. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Thanks!!

9. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

First wearing of my shell Dundee today

[​IMG]

10. MoneyWellSpent

I suppose anything is possible. I suppose the assembly of some uppers at their DR plant could be throwing a QC variable into the mix, but they have carefully stated that the employees of the DR plant receive the same training and are Allen Edmonds employees. They aren't just paying another factory to produce a product and then stamp it with the AE name. The only difference is the soil that is under the factory floor. However, the imported leather is a separate issue. They source the best leather they can, and naturally, it is going to come from a variety of tanneries around the world. I don't know for sure, but I would assume that they have always used leather from all over the world, and they simply started stamping that "Made in the USA of fine imported leather" for transparency. As far as I know, all shoe companies source their leather from the world over. Just like wine, different places produce different qualities and it is subject to change, as is the market value.

11. MoneyWellSpent

Looking good!

12. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

13. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Yes, I got an email from one of the outlet stores. No details other than what you show here.

14. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Which outlet store emails you about these? I've tried to get on these emails but to no avail.

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Mine was Freeport. I've purchased from them before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.