1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tietherope

tietherope Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Maybe I need to be a little bit more specific.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

The Dundee of course. In all 5 flavors of shell offered.
    [​IMG]

Cambridge after brushing. Best way I have found to store ties for travel. Shouldn't 7 fold ties smell like shell? :)
    [​IMG]

:

1 person likes this.
  3. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

I would love a pair of olive neumoks but I already have distressed brown mctavishes so I feel it's a bit redundant. Maybe a less casual wing tip is in order. I have bourbon strands, so maybe walnut mcallisters. Or go the otherway and get something sans-brougue.

4. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

I might at some point go for the MTO option. Honestly, while I love the initial look of calfskin shoes, I've felt less and less like they hold up to my usage. Basically, suburban "office" where it's an old farm house. I'm always out in the yard or chasing the dogs, or going on walks. CXL and shell really hold up to that, but calfskin gets wet from the grass instantly, because of all the dew. So at this point, unless I'm in a suit for a client meeting, I'm only wearing my 721/744s or CXL moc-toe shoes. Slowly selling off my AE calfskins because of this.

AE CXL, well, I'd want to see how they handle the leather before I really commit. Alden does beautiful work with it, but they make it super thin and delicate (like the speedhooks clearly are going to get pulled out of the leather, and judging from many people's reports, it does relatively often). So, I'd love to see how AE handles it before putting down the money.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

For suede the AE Katmai is still available in size 9.5D and 10D on the AE website for $157. Also at Lands End in size 9-12 D width only. The pictures on the AE website are of course poor, it isn't quite as shaggy as it looks there IRL.

[​IMG]

Great chukka but a bit casual IMO, eventually I will have a MTO Dundee done in lined snuff.

1 person likes this.
  6. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

Oh, well, yes: Any special offers around? [​IMG]

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I think the looming Independence Day holiday has everyone on vacation or working hard to squeeze 5 days into 3...

I'm in the former category. But, for the sake of conversation, look what came today - I know it's not AE... but the stamps in the shoe are the same font....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rancourt for Brooks Brothers shell cordovan boat shoes... if anyone is wondering.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  8. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

This isn't AE specific but is as good a place to ask as any.

While picking up a repair at our local cobbler today, I was looking over his small rack of "abandoned property" he has for sale. He has a pair of what appear to be (from the sole and inside) almost brand new black stich cap bluchers for which he'd take $30. I wear a 10.5 E in the AE five last and occasionally an 11D in LWB's of various makers. These are 11.5D. I keep postponing buying a new black stitch or punch cap because, well, something more "fun" always seem to be available and I don't need plain black all that often anymore.

Anyway, I tried them on and was surprised to find my right (and larger foot) fit fairly well. However, with the left there is a little heel slippage. Despite the fact I walk very little in my dress shoes, I don't want anything that's going to be an annoyance. But, plugging a hole in my rotation for almost nothing is tempting.

I've passed on them for now while I sleep on it.

Is there some sort of trick to reducing heel slippage? Would a tongue pad be any help?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Not that I know of. Maybe that's the problem.

10. impendingdoo

impendingdoo Active Member

Got my first pair of Fifth Avenues as a companion to my walnut strands

[​IMG]

(wearing light colored socks for the purpose of contrast in the pic)

Any recommendations for an in between dressy shoe? Dark brown park avenues?

11. bucksfan

I've been impressed with my CXL Bayfields, and impressed with AE's speedhooks vs. Alden's.

12. MoneyWellSpent

Looking good.

Are those dark brown or black? Park Avenues are dressier than Fifth Avenues, by strict definition, so I would consider them as an in between option since you already have these. If your Fifth Avenues are dark brown, then you will really have redundancy.

13. MoneyWellSpent

I haven't had any issues with my speed hooks either.

14. bucksfan

In-between your walnut Strands and your black 5th aves? How about something other than a cap-toe - like a burgundy brogued wingtip (McAllister / Cambridge or Macneil)?

15. teamnsk123

teamnsk123 Well-Known Member

Thoughts on AE's penny loafers? Looking to get a pair for the office.

16. impendingdoo

Aren't wingtips too informal for dress shoes?

17. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Quote:Not at all, unless you are working in a super-conservative office environment. If that is the case, you won't find much use for your walnut Strands either.

18. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Why settle for a shoe, I would consider a pair of daltons. People are often surprised when told that my "shoes" are actually boots.

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I have a question based on this question. Do you wear a suit every day? Because that is the only way I could see you havng multiple pairs of cap toes and expressing concern about whether a wingtip is dressy enough.

20. impendingdoo

They're black. I contemplated between park avenues And fifth avenues for a while as my black shoes. Settled on the FA cos It felt like everyone buys a standard captoe and the small amount of broguing was minimal.

A deep brown park avenue is definitely something I'm now thinking is a good idea. Or is there something sleeker?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.