1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

Those look great! Nice choice.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Great shoes RandomAdam; can't believe how sleek they look. Maybe I should start buying size 14AA and stuffing them with newspaper to fill out the empty space.

1 person likes this.
  3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Very nice. Makes me wish I had AA feet.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Try the 10s again. But you just might want to try the "E" width if available. Otherwise, I might abandon the #2 last. It's difficult to get a good fit. I'm one of many that have walked away from the 2 last.

5. pomofo

pomofo Active Member

I wear a 12E Patriot and it seems a little short. Been looking for a 13D to see if it might fit a little better. The best fits I've found in AE have been 12D in Byron and Ritz (4-last). On the 5-last I wear 11.5E and 12D, with the 11.5 E being normally more comfortable (I need a wider toebox to keep from pinching my little toe). I also have a 12E McAllister which, while noticeably roomier than the Patriot, is not at all loose. I've also got various 8-last and 2-last shoes, all in 12E; 12D would be too tight.

ETA: The Patriot is not at all tight. And I don't have heel slip like I do with my 13D Weejuns. So maybe 12E is the right size for me after all.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  6. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

I don't see much and wouldn't worry about it. However, I can tell you that Saphir Renomat could lighten the spots most likely. However, I once tried to remove a bad spot on a pair of vintage chestnut (light) colored AE's, and I damaged the leather and did more harm than good. So, if you go the Renomat route, seek guidance and be patient. AE conditioner/cleaner, which you should get anyway (or Saphir Renovateur) might also lighten the spots with a less harsh cleaning agent and zero potential for damaging the shoe by stripping.

Regardless, a few spots can just add to the vintage patina (vatina?) and character, though.

7. lostron

lostron Senior member

^^
    agreed, you can also polish them regularly and that should help as well

8. williaby

williaby New Member

I was hoping to get a bit of feedback on the fit of these Cliftons. I live in Oregon and we don't have an AE here, so Nordstrom it is. However the stores said they only carry D widths. I measured on the AE fit guide to a 11.5C. In store they fit me to a 10.5D in the park avenue. They seemed wide in the heel, so I ordered these 11B cliftons online. There is a little room in the heel, but overall they feel good. Thanks for the help. Once I get a better idea on fit, its on to a pair of black park avenues.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

I second this, I have one of their double ring belts in chestnut, (the closest to AE's walnut). Very nice quality and looks like it'll last forever. Alan also did special make-up for me in 1 3/8". I'm aware hippie-belts probably shouldn't ought be worn with dress slacks, but it looks so nice, especially paired with a knit tie, that I do anyways:

[​IMG]

10. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

Este's in the Pearl stocks Allen Edmonds if you're looking for somewhere local.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  11. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

The extra $100 is only on seconds, that's why it's listed at the Shoebank and outlets page and not on AE's front page. Also, I think the extra $100 is applicable on all the independence Collection seconds at all the outlets as Jay, in Charleston, let me know about it too. $279 is a great deal.

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I need a shoe that is:

Brown

Pairs well with a dress shirt and jeans/chinos/odd trousers.

Decently comfortable to walk with long distances.

Which Allen Edmonds shoe am I looking at?

13. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Cognac mctavish. Or macneils

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Looks like the retail Hancock is on sale for 347$ too

15. williaby

williaby New Member

bgp, How does Estes do with sizing? When I was there last they had a very limited selection in stock to try on. I am headed up there today to pick up a suit so I can talk to him more.

16. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West

17. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

The 2 last sucks. It also digs into my toe and is not comfortable at all. Just walk away and save yourself $$$ and time.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  18. dustygator

dustygator Member

Player's in walnut. If the 2 last agrees with you.

19. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Park Avenues look nice . . . and close in style to what you like. More importantly, they are available in "C" width in your size, and can be ordered in by the manager of the shoe department when the sale starts soon . . . which will save you $100.

If you wish to qualify for a free Nordstroms Rewards Card that is not based on your credit rating, then choose the Nordstroms Debit Card - which ties to your regular checking account - for an instant approval and card number. That will allow you to start ordering on July 10th

My best to you,

David

20. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

For what it's worth, I'm 27 and I think it's awful.

Daltons can look perfectly acceptable with casual clothes, business casual, or a less-formal suit. No argument there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.