Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

More expensive is not better. Sellers set their own prices based upon their knowledge of the item and the condition of the item. It is best to use your judgement and look very, very closely at the pictures provided to judge quality and how much you are willing to spend.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

That's good advice. I would add that unless you know your sizes intimately, you may want to forego eBay in favor of factory seconds via a factory outlet/shoe bank. This way you have the ability to try on and return if necessary. There seem to be a lot of sales on factory 2nds these days as well.

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

That's good advice. I would add that unless you know your sizes intimately, you may want to forego eBay in favor of factory seconds via a factory outlet/shoe bank. This way you have the ability to try on and return if necessary. There seem to be a lot of sales on factory 2nds these days as well.

4. Mulligan142

Mulligan142 Member

A lot of trial and error unfortunately. I would suggest visiting a store or at least trying an option that lets you return/exchange for size.

5. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

6. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

factory seconds are brand new, and from the way it would appear from these forums, you have to get rather unlucky to notice any immediate cosmetic defect. i second the recommendation to order from the shoebank--some of the deals to be had are better than some of the price gougers on ebay, and the return policy is crucial. there is no good way to estimate what width you are without trying on the shoe--there are too many variables at play, and that's not even considering different lasts.

7. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

8. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Very true, YMMV. As it was for me though, the guide indicated the same size as when I was sized at an AE store: 10.5D.

9. konda

konda Senior member

My halleluja with AE sizes came from measuring my feet with the Brannock device. Nailed every AE shoe since.

10. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

Never worked for me, and since even shoes of the same last fit different it never will.

11. konda

konda Senior member

Of course one needs to know that if the Brannock is between C and D, the correct width is D with some C's working as well depending on the last. Reading the reviews on the AE website helps towards the right size and width as well.

Then again for me the AE print out size chart available on the website shows several sizes and widths off.

I guess in the US one can order without S&H and also return on sender's expense?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

12. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

For those who wear Barrie-lasted shoes by Alden, which AE last fits most similar?

13. calidist

calidist Senior member

Probably 1 and 7, though the Barrie is a very unique last.

14. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Dalton and Player's Shoe, after a fresh coat of renovateur. The Player's Shoe is about a year older, and you can really see the patina a year more of use gives them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Just Beautiful...

I've always liked that article too. And Namor has one on his website with Alden shoes in San Fran that have been on display. Nick warns that doing it for too long can let the underlying nature of the shell show through and that can be a bad thing. My #8 Leeds are pretty old, the first couple of years they faded but then about the time I replaced the first set of heels on them they seemed to slow down a lot over the last 5 years or so. But you can still see like in the PTB above the black speckling that wants to come through more and more as they age:
    [​IMG]
    Crappy picture but pretty sure that is what Nick is warning about. Also my lighter colored shell has gotten darker, but #8 lighter. It is almost like all shell wants to converge to a common point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.