1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick_b

patrick_b Distinguished Member

Your DIY edge treatment/antiquing looks fantastic!

2. PK35216

PK35216 Senior Member

I used Renomat (a lot of it) to clean deep down and remove a lot of black gunk. Then I used AE conditioner cleaner, because this was a year ago and I hadn't gotten Renovateur yet, I think. I used way too much cleaner conditioner before I learned better to apply very small amounts of product to shell.

Here recently, I adopted the Mac Method of using a damp cloth and horse hair brushing. Then a very little Renovateur and a little AE cordovan polish around the dried out parts that I probably stripped too much with Renomat when I first got them.

I used fine grain sand paper to strip the sole edges and chili dressing to give a more natural welt look. Below are some pics when I first got them and started refinishing.

Incidentally, I don't have any Venetian Shoe Cream.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the right shoe was overloaded with product and would not shine up. I eventually stripped that down and learned a neat little trick with this pair of shell and some AE brown shell Strands that I got new, but had a similar problem with too much factory polish on one shoe, such that it wouldn't shine up.

Take a clean dry finger, like your thumb and swipe it across the surface of the shoe. It should squeak from the friction. If it doesn't squeak, then there is too much product and it won't shine up. With both shoes, I applied Renomat in numerous applications until I got to the squeak. Then a light bit of Renovateur or AE shell polish, brushing, and then after several wears, the Mac Method.

After some trial and error (but before following the Mac Method) I made some improvemens by stripping down the excess cleaner conditioner:

[​IMG]

However, the right shoe still wouldn't shine up as well, and after one day's wearing, the right shoe was dull in comparison to the left.

Recently, I started the Mac Method, yielding much better results. I scrubbed that shoe repeatedly with the damp cloth, then brushing, then repeated the process several times over an hour. The squeak test started to work much better, such that I felt confident applying the little bit of Renovateur and then AE shell polish to just a few dry areas.

The results picture I posted last week:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the example of my brown shell AE's for the first many months I owned them, when I couldn't get one toe to polish up due to too much product (some of that being my fault by applying a bunch of AE cleaner conditioner when I first got them). Then look at my efforts from last week following the Mac Method. Much better results.

Right out of the box, they didn't look bad, but I mistakenly applied a whole bunch of cleaner conditioner and futzed up the left toe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The squeak test would not work on the left toe forever, but this past week I got down to the good stuff with repeated mac method applications. Very pleased with the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Thank you very much. I love 'em. Planning to wear them on Sunday and I can't wait!!

4. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

Those are beautiful brown shells. I hope the Mac method will work out for mine!

5. PK35216

PK35216 Senior Member

Thanks, a lot, Patrick! That was the first time I tried that, and I got lucky. It helped that I got them cheap off ebay and was not as worried about taking a chance.

One tip:

I used Scotch tape on the shell upper just above the welt, such that when the sand paper slipped a little bit and potentially hit the shell upper, it didn't scratch. Kind of like using "painter's tape" if that makes sense.

Also, AE's chili edge treatment is awesome. Neutral is also good to have.

Incidentally, I've been meaning to try the natural edge treatment on some vintage Florsheim Imperial Burgundy Shell PTB's. I'll post results when I do it. The shoes are below.

[​IMG]

6. patrick_b

Exposure to sunlight will lighten shell. Burgundy and/or Color 8 shell is especially susceptible to this. That's one reason that shell is so coveted. It lasts forever and looks even better with age. The color becomes even more rich and contains a depth that calf can't always match. You can try to reproduce this with polish but there is no substitute for time.

My burgundy shell McNeil and Leeds are just at the one year mark and still have a ways to go. I have a pair of Alden color 8 boots that are just starting to develop the depth you see in PK's shoes. I haven't tried to speed up that process...it'll get there eventually. The best thing you can do is wear them...a lot...but not on consecutive days...and use shoe trees...and brush them often...and wear them a lot :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

7. patrick_b

Leeds at the one yr mark have not developed the rich color variations yet and didn't see much sunlight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to Alden #8 which are a couple of months younger. These saw more [indirect] sunlight.

p[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. konda

konda Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. Let the waiting games begin.

9. patrick_b

Don't forget the effect of sunlight. My alden boots have lightened up in certain areas caused by sunlight exposure and wear.

I always loved this blog post by Nick Horween about the effect of sun on shell. Remainder of post at Leffot blog:

http://leffot.com/2011/08/31/the-brownout-by-nick-horween/

Remainder of post at Leffot blog:

http://leffot.com/2011/08/31/the-brownout-by-nick-horween/

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

10. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior Member

Custom order is the only way to get these, unless you find a used pair, which would be doubtful. I bet they only made a handful in this combination. They do make the Patriot in an all football leather as well as the Duke loafer. The Patriot is one that has intrigued me...

11. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior Member

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to be more on point next time. BTW, you have a fine taste in shoes. Well done.

12. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior Member

I finally got out my webgems today. I almost can't bring myself to wear them. Tampa Bay Lightning colors!!

[​IMG]

13. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior Member

Those look really nice, but in an artsy, artistic kind of way...not in a fashionable, style sense. Again, they look really cool, I just couldnt imagine what one would wear them with...Id be interested to see pics of what you come up with.

14. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior Member

With my charcoal suit - maybe - if I'm feeling brave. I mean, I can always wear them to a Univ Florida game and no one will bat an eye.

15. konda

konda Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.