• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Fair enough, I saw the description. I just think that both the creases and the sheen screams "shell."
I think the small wrinkle on the upper of the left shoe (at the place where the pinky toe would be) is too fine. You could always ask the seller if they are shell cordovan. If he says yes and they actually are not, you can just return.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the small wrinkle on the upper of the left shoe (at the place where the pinky toe would be) is too fine. You could always ask the seller if they are shell cordovan. If he says yes and they actually are not, you can just return.
As well, the photo of the sole shows a standard original Allen Edmonds sole and heel. Their shell shoes have JR soles with combination heels.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha- but they are actually not Bates. I came in back in 1998 so I was issued Wolverine brand shoes with a production date of 1996.
They are still holding on! Had to resole them the first time at the 12 year mark. The rubber sole finally gave out so I went with leather, but I went through that really fast.
They are still ok for normal day wear but for dress uniform use they are looking a little rough.

Maybe I'll use this line of thought on my wife to explain why I need another pair of AEs!
Wow am I out of the loop! I retired a few years before you came in
shog[1].gif
But still have 10 years to go in Civ World working before I'm really retired for good. I've been out long enough now that when I see shoes with leather exposed and no polish I find it easier to fight the urge to walk over to them and say "How about standing a little closer to the Kiwi next time!"

You certainly know how to take care of your shoes no matter who makes them. The ability to have a good shoe resoled is one of the things I try to explain to people when they ask about my shoes and ask how much they cost, etc. Quite a few people have asked me at work about them over the years but they still (usually) end up buying those made in China clown shoes instead. I would still use it on your wife though!

In the wild pics of my vintage shell MacNeils that I polished up the other day. Love em!

Walnut Player's Shoe:

Very nice looking. Like the socks too!
As do I, always nice shots.

konda

Reaction score
In the wild pics of my vintage shell MacNeils that I polished up the other day. Love em!

Is there any way to polish my burgundy shell MacNeils to look like this? I use AE's shell cream and all it gives me is a dark burgundy finish. Suggestions appreciated! Love the shoe, but find the color too dark!

Edit: Mine aren't vintage but only 6 months old.

Last edited:

TheSizzle

Reaction score

Is there any way to polish my burgundy shell MacNeils to look like this? I use AE's shell cream and all it gives me is a dark burgundy finish. Suggestions appreciated! Love the shoe, but find the color too dark!

The Mac Method might be a good place to start with your shell care. I don't know how much you should do to preemptively change the color, but they might lighten a bit over time.

http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/the-mac-method/

Last edited:

delmar

Reaction score
has anyone been to the factory shoe bank? my wife makes me go to the outlets in wisconsin every now and then, and since it's a few more minutes up the road, i was wondering if it's worth the trip?
It's worth the trip if you have at least two hours to kill. I've been there several times and I don't think I've ever left empty handed. It makes for a good opportunity to try on a lot of different shoes in sizes very close to your normal size that sometimes make for a better fit than you'd think. If you head to the larger back part of the store--where the seconds are--they'll pretty much leave you alone to really scrounge around, they just check on you every so often to see if you need any help. If you find something you like but it doesn't quite fit, they can quickly find out if any of the other outlets has the right size for you.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with Sizzle. Use Renovateur to try and get all that AE polish off and proceed to use the Mac Method.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Sizzle. Use Renovateur to try and get all that AE polish off and proceed to use the Mac Method.
Yep and I agree with this totally. First thing I do when I get new AE shell is strip the factory cream off.

For decades shell meant #8, and most all men just used black polish on them, and a few blue polish. Too much gunks them up but a little now and then helps get the patina a bit faster so you end up with that "Black Cherry" look. Time and brushing.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reading about all of this talk of shell, with a new pair of shell cordovan, should I immediately follow the Mac method? Or should I bother cleaning/conditioning and polishing the shoes before wearing them?

With my calf shoes I always clean/condition and polish them before wearing.

sungmineyo

Reaction score
^ I think it gives better shine after you strip off factory polish. Both of my shells had uneven factory polish on toe area which totally covered shell shine.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with Sizzle.  Use Renovateur to try and get all that AE polish off and proceed to use the Mac Method.

Yep and I agree with this totally. First thing I do when I get new AE shell is strip the factory cream off.

I've been using Venetian Shoe Cream but just this past week picked up some Renovateur, which promptly got applied to my black shell Leeds and burgundy shell Daltons. The stuff's expense and reputation are completely justified -- that quintessential soft glow suddenly appeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads