• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought it, can you guys confirm this is the travel size?

PK35216

Reaction score

In the wild pics of my vintage shell MacNeils that I polished up the other day. Love em!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Shoes, are these Meermin? If so, which last are they, and how did you size in relation to your AE size?

They are Meermin; Rui last.

AE 1 and 5 lasts 12D, good fit, but could not go any narrower
AE 8 last, 12D, a little too narrow and uncomfortable as my foot swells.
Meermin Rui last, 11UK, a pretty good fit, but wide enough that I wonder if I should have sized down another 1/2 size to a 10.5UK.

The Rui last is definitely wider than AE's 5 last and is pretty spot on for anyone who is on the border between a D and E width.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PK: those look outstanding! Did you restore with Venetian Shoe Cream or Renovateur?

dustygator

Reaction score
Here's a pair of AE Rutledge custom made spectators that I picked up on eBay last week. Sadly, they're about a half size too big for me, but close enough that I could still wear them. You don't see cap-toe specs like this very often.

CH

They look like bowling shoes. Goodyear welted, Made in the USA bowling shoes but still, bowling shoes.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
They look like bowling shoes. Goodyear welted, Made in the USA bowling shoes but still, bowling shoes.

I'm thinking they would have looked a bit better with the black parts being brown and the white parts being a lighter tan.

JermynStreet

Reaction score

In the wild pics of my vintage shell MacNeils that I polished up the other day. Love em!

fantastic patina. Almost looks Alden ravello. Much deeper colors. Bravo, sir!

Samir

Reaction score
Which AE plain toe blucher do y'all recommend? I read earlier there were some issues of ankle bowing with the Kenilworth - still a problem? Would the Leeds be a better alternative?

nbird

Reaction score
I have about a month's worth of regular wear on the Kenilworths and have not had issues with bowing. I personally prefer the aesthetic of the Kenilworth over the Leeds.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Funny-

That's a little strong, don't you think? They will be pretty hard to pull off without looking like you are trying really hard, but I don't think anyone will mistake them as bowling shoes!

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funny-

That's a little strong, don't you think?  They will be pretty hard to pull off without looking like you are trying really hard, but I don't think anyone will mistake them as bowling shoes! 

Bowling shoes or not, they are pretty ugly. :embar:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which AE plain toe blucher do y'all recommend? I read earlier there were some issues of ankle bowing with the Kenilworth - still a problem? Would the Leeds be a better alternative?

I have about a month's worth of regular wear on the Kenilworths and have not had issues with bowing. I personally prefer the aesthetic of the Kenilworth over the Leeds.

If I remember correctly, you should be pretty safe to try on the Kenilworth (or any of the shoes that have had reported bowing issues) and see how they look and feel. If they look and feel good, take them home and do your indoor break-in method, wearing them for at least 3-4 sessions around your house for a few hours each (on different days). If they still look good and feel good, you should be in the clear. The bowing issue seems to be a problem from when they are new, rather than a problem that develops over time (assuming you are giving them proper care and keeping shoe trees in them). I'm strictly saying this from observation and from some data gathered from a previous question, so don't take that as gospel, but I posed the question some time ago, and all of the responses indicated that they purchased the shoes that way if I remember correctly.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Just got a new set of McAllisters in the mail directly from AE, and noticed what appears to be some deformities on the outer sides of the shoes. On the left shoe it has noticeable wrinkling in several areas (as if the leather was attached improperly or something), and on the right shoe there is a noticeable bulge in the leather. Attached are photos.

Is this normal, or should I send these back and ask for an exchange?

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet because this thread is quite long and I haven't read all the responses but it looks like in your second picture that the bottom strip is overlapping the top one and I'm not sure it's supposed to do that looking at other pictures of this shoe. I'm sure I'm not using the correct terminology but see my attachment and you'll know what I mean. That's probably causing the leather to not sit correctly in other areas of the shoe.

tampatravel

Reaction score

Having to work on Good Friday stinks. Wearing the Finch today makes it a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads