• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, just wondering - If given the option between the BROWN Shell Cordovan Dundee, and the BURGUNDY Shell Cordovan Bradly, which one would be chosen for someone with a pretty casual dark denim jeans/longsleeve buttondown type of wardrobe? In the 30 ish age range? Im highly considering exchanging the unworn burgundy cordovan Bradley's for the Dundee.

No contest - brown shell Dundees. I wear my AE Malvern Chukka boots (virtually the same as the Dundee) on a regular basis with jeans as well as slacks with a sport coat. Very versatile shoe that can be dressed up or down.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
Walnut Dalton today:

Shiny

Reaction score
Maiden voyage for these Madison Aves with the leather soles.

I will apply some leather conditioner tonight when I get home. From the box to my feet!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the heads-up on this deal; I just took advantage of it. The woman I spoke with was very friendly and helpful.
I'm glad you were able to get a pair that worked out, and they do look good on you! We can thank bucksfan for the Jeffersonville outlet connection, all the ladies there are great to work with. Never have personally met any of them but I don't use any other outlet now, it would feel like I cheated on them somehow LOL.
Cold Iron,

I was thinking about getting that wallet (toss-up between that and a simple shell card wallet from the same website) but I was wondering how sturdy that metal piece is...what are your thoughts? Does the metal binding bend or flex easily? How tightly does it clasp your bills? Do you find it easy to slide bills in and out? I currently just have a saddleback wallet but definitely want a shell wallet...just not sure which to get. Can you post a picture of it sitting flat on its side with bills and cards in it...I'm curious as to how thin it is to a standard bifold wallet.

~Johnny

To chime in -- I've been using a Mitchell shell money clip wallet (wheat CXL interior, burgundy shell exterior) for the last few months and am quite fond of it. Some photos as requested:

I keep it in the back right pocket; it's a bit too bulky for me to use as a front pocket wallet. It's right now maxed out with sixteen cards and measures 3/4" wide when compressed. The clip does its job just fine -- nothing's going to fall out, and it only takes an extra moment to slide bills in.
Adam great job on selecting wheat for the lining, I really like the contrast.

Johnny the metal strap is solid, very solid it does not bend or flex at all. Mine with 6 cards and $100 in 20's is exactly 1/2 inch thick.

Being new yet it doesn't close totally flat but just a watch on top holds it down, and a mini mag for reference.
Sorry for the scare.
shog[1].gif

From the outside, it's hard to tell how much AE's quality control has improved, but I still think they have a ways to go, unfortunately....

On the wallet, I've been putting my wallet in my front pocket for a few years now. Picked up the habit for security, since I travel to a variety of places. I've switched to a very small card holder, similar to yours, except that I don't carry cash in it, and it's not cordovan. I had one made my Nicholas Hollows, who used to have a thread here (not sure if he still does). I've posted these picture before:

I based the design loosely on the Louis Vuitton Pocket Organizer, which a friend has and which I consider the perfect size and functionality:

http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#...-Goods/products/Pocket-Organizer-TAIGA-M32656
Once again totally agree with you. I would like to see zero defects, or at least a lot less than we do today.

Not surprisingly I have used my left front pocket for the same reason, and if in a larger city spread money out in different pockets. Overseas I used to carry a dummy wallet in my right rear pants pocket to throw at someone that wanted it more than me, which happened 3 times in my life. Your card wallet is perfect and I looked at Hollows leather but he is taking a break from custom work right now. Sounds like he is growing pretty fast.

I did order a card wallet the other day from Asheland in #2 shell, couldn't resist it as #2 shell is a very rare color.
http://ashlandleather.bigcartel.com...w-york-shell-cordovan-special-limited-edition
I think I'd go with the brown shell Dundee. It strikes me as something that works better with denim. I don't think I've ever worn my burgundy shell Bradleys with denim, but would definitely wear them with my Dundees (I have the cappuccino version, but it's close enough to brown in my opinion).
No contest - brown shell Dundees. I wear my AE Malvern Chukka boots (virtually the same as the Dundee) on a regular basis with jeans as well as slacks with a sport coat. Very versatile shoe that can be dressed up or down.
Make that x3, another vote for the dark brown Dundee.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am loving my Mora. I just took some photos to highlight the toe cap difference on these 4 pairs.

GentlemanJohnny

Reaction score

Thanks to both of you for sharing the pics and your thoughts....gonna have to get one for sure now....

harlequin782

Reaction score

I think I'd go with the brown shell Dundee. It strikes me as something that works better with denim. I don't think I've ever worn my burgundy shell Bradleys with denim, but would definitely wear them with my Dundees (I have the cappuccino version, but it's close enough to brown in my opinion).

Thank you two [and Cold Iron] very much for the input. I appreciate the feedback. And just like that today, I have swapped my Burgundy Cordovan Bradleys, for the Brown Cordovan Dundees. They are said to be in production as we speak...I feel good about it.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And just like that today, I have swapped my Burgundy Cordovan Bradleys, for the Brown Cordovan Dundees.  They are said to be in production as we speak...I feel good about it.

As much as I'm looking forward to someday owning burgundy shell longwings, there's something absolutely marvelous about a plain toe shell boot or shoe. I think you made the right call. Post photos when you get 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads