1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtvisa2002

gtvisa2002 Well-Known Member

If you look couple of posts above yours (by LaymanX), there is a sale coming up and McAllisters expected (we are all hoping but its not official yet) when you can save as much as $100.
    If not, during Oct AE will have yearly sale,with limted models, you can save the same amount.

Source: I bought PA in that sale last October for $235.
    HTH

2. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

I can get Westchesters and Nuemoras for $199 as seconds. In your guys opinion would it be worth it to pay $50 more to get them in firsts? I've had good experience this far buying seconds but trying to decide if $50 is worth it to get firsts.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Can you afford the extra money? I don't know your financial situation, but $50 is not much difference for a shoe that you will have many years. Considering that most seconds are just fine, I can't see spending the extra money.

4. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

Are AE belts made with the same quality and care as their shoes?

The reason I ask is that I know a lot of companies in other fields will have their main line of products as their pride and joy, and then peddle second-rate s&^% on the side with their name branded on it just to make a little extra profit. I'm looking at some of AE's casual belts right now and all I see in the description is "Premium Leather" which is a red flag to me...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

E makes their own belts from the same leathers as their shoes.

6. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Yes, I can afford $50 more but just because I can doesn't mean I have to. For $50 though I think is rather get firsts to ensure I have a warranty of some sort

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It's a personal choice. You can return the seconds, but there's no guarantee you can find a better pair. With first quality, you can ask for a different pair if needed. Whether first quality or seconds, AE provides very good customer service.

8. facet

facet Senior member

I have had one of their Bombay belts in walnut for a couple years now. It's held up impressively well compared to my other belts and they're definitely not second rate.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Get the firsts. $50 is nothing considering the projected life of the shoes.

I have seen plenty of bad seconds (and some good ones, of course, too).

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have found AE's belts to be of very decent quality. Wore an AE walnut calf belt today with a pair of EG's in Edwardian Antique.

11. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I have the Cordovan tab belts in black and burgundy. By far the nicest belts that I own and are of very high quality. Buy without fear.

12. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

So I'm actually getting around to buy some cordovan polish to hopefully minimize the blotches on my burgundy shell Kenilworths, and am deciding between 3 options:

1. Saphir Cordovan Shoe Polish (Cordovan) was recommended by New Shoes1, but it costs $34.50 shipped and I'm a little unsure whether it'll match the new AE burgundy well. But it boasts being turpentine free.
    2. AE Cordovan Care Cream (Burgundy) is only $8 shipped and almost certainly matches correctly. Well, unless it's formulated for the old burgundy instead of the new? Also, I'm less sure about the ingredients.
    3. Alden Paste Wax (Color #8) is $5.50 shipped, but I'm unsure whether it's for shell cordovan or is just a standard calfskin paste wax in "Color 8 Cordovan" color. Either way, it sounds too waxy for shell.

Can anyone else personally attest to one verses the other?

New Shoes1, have you tried both? I know you wouldn't just mindlessly push Saphir products, would you? [​IMG]

13. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure because on their shoe descriptions they usually go into a little more detail on the leather.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  14. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    If you are going to be investing into several Saphir products, such as Saphir Cordovan Polish, Saphir Renovateur, a good polishing bone, and quality horsehair brush - then you can save on shipping by combining your purchases to $75.

More importantly, you definitely need the Saphir Color Guide (see below) which has each color printed in gloss, and all you do is match the shoe up under the perforated hold of the color for an exact match. The color guide is good for all shell and calfskin leathers.

[​IMG]

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

My main issue with AE belts is that they are a bit in the wide/clunky side to be considered good formal belts. They work better on the more casual side of the spectrum.

16. Kave

Kave Member

They make a narrow dress belt that is not even an inch wide if that is what you are looking for.

17. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

It looks like they've finally figured out what to do with those shell samples and scraps. I knew it was just a matter of time. This looks like one of the biggest wastes of money I've seen around here in a while. [​IMG] Watch the little video... all they are doing is "wrapping" the money and credit cards with the cordovan that's been cut into a 'T' shape.

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/wallets/billfold-small.html

18. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Do you have a link? I found a dress bridle and wide basic dress, but no narrow dress belt.

19. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I wouldn't feel secure putting anything in there.

20. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Leffot has been selling those for quite a while now. Not something I would want to get, but there are people out there who REALLY can't get enough of shell cordovan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.