Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

You are correct! My apologies. I was going off my memory, but I double checked and it is the Berkley on the 5 last.

2. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

I see. So its safe to assume they fit true to size? There seem to be a bunch of black ones swimming around ebay right now, Id prefer that model to the ones on sale at AE

3. frank212

frank212 Member

Were those unauthorized transactions at Allen Edmonds?

4. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

5. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

For me they were TTS. And I got mine (black with red sole) for dirt cheap from the shoebank - 129 all in. Pretty sure that is still their price.

6. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Have a pair of Ridgeway Cognac Brown on its way from Shoe Bank. Was originally looking at McTavish in same color but they didn't have my size currently.

I like the pics I have seen on the Interweb. I figure I could shoe polish the orange edging and swap out the laces if they become too distracting.

Does Ridgeway fit the same as McTavish? Based on what I read, they are both on 5 last. Just thought I would check with the experts here.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Generally, yes, but the McTavish is a double leather sole(?) which makes it stiffer.

8. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

OTOH it fits wider. Whilst I need 11.5E with the Cambridge the McTavish is a bit too wide, so an 11.5D fits well.

9. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Thanks.

The Ridgeway does look like it has double sole, albeit not a double leather sole.

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Curious what you guys think of these pictures from the Allen Edmonds website. These are for the cordovan Dundee. I'll post without my own comment to start:

Pictures of heels in black, brown, burgundy:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Side pictures in black, brown, burgundy:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Heel shots could be a lot better, e.g., the black looks like a second because of the slanted upper on the top of the boot and the bottom where it attached to the heel. Side shots look ok to me.

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

There is alot to be said for honesty and transparency (and I think Allen Edmonds should win the award amongst shoe companies for this), in that what you see in the pictures really may be indicative of the shoes you may receive. That said, sometimes I am surprised by the visible "defects" that I see in the shoes that they choose for their photos. It's as if some advertising guy walks down to the factory floor and grabs a pair to take to his photo session before returning them so that they can go out with the rest of the shoes. They don't seem to be too concerned about picking a pair that is near flawless for their website photos. It is interesting and surprising.

13. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

you guys realize that these are shoes, right? their main job is to act as a barrier between our skin and dog poop. the slight irregularities that get discussed in this thread are nothing compared to the abuse shoes take on a daily basis.

14. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Thats a great price! Did you actually try them on at a store and then order through their national outlet?

edit: just called and factory seconds are indeed 129, first quality is 167. They said factory seconds are a gamble and since its in the warehouse they cant look at it for me. She said it could either be something minor or pretty glaring...thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I think most people realize this, but are you saying that you would buy the pair in this picture no questions asked? The welt looks quite crooked to me, and the fit of the shoe would be affected by that. It isn't just visual.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.