1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

If those are a size 9.5, I'd be willing to help you thin the herd :)

2. Xandion

Xandion Member

So I am considering picking up a pair of strands in chili. Based on the wealth of knowledge present here, what would be the chances of them ever being available for less than $295 in the future (current webgem) since they aren't a standard color? Slim to none? I don't really have a current need for them but I am somewhat intrigued.

Also I have never seen chili in person. I have walnut Cliftons so I am between bourbon and chili for my strands, just can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on the chili now or wait for a better price for bourbon. Opinions are welcome.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  3. ESElrond

ESElrond Member

According to this blog post by Nick Horween on their website, Dublin is the name they've given to a variety of waxed leather made from cowhide that's been tanned using the same sort of liquor used during tanning of shell cordovan. Essex is made using a similar tanning liquor, but is not waxed. I've got a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile "Krause" boots made with black Dublin leather, and given its thickness in comparison to that used in all of my calfskin shoes by AE, I'm guessing that Nick Horween said "cowhide" in his post specifically because they don't use calfskin in the process.
    Although this is really speculative on my part, I'd assume that the primary drivers of cordovan's price are the cost of the necessary horsehides and any labor requirements that they uniquely demand (because of their different physical composition), as opposed to the tanning liquor itself. My guess is that the raw materials (oils, chemicals, and such) that make up the tanning liquor represent one of the less expensive elements of the overall price equation.

1 person likes this.
  4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

One of the limiting factors for cordovan is the size of the hide. This exacerbates the supply problem.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thanks for the information.

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

truer words cant be spoken.. every time I drive by the horse stables up the road, I daydream of ravello and #4 possibilities

1 person likes this.
  7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I still don't own any cordovan make ups. I'm not sad about that. The Dublin leathers are quite nice and I'm a big fan of suede.

8. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

you alone have me teetering on some suede alden makeups, specifically modified last.

my AE snuff amoks were a steal, first foray into suede from them.

not familiar with Dublin offerings.. any easy to respond with links, model #s etc? I'm always interested in emptying the wallet for a week or so

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Those would be any of the way leathers in the rough collection. Neumok, Elgin, Ridgeway, McTavish, Sedona. Those should all be Dublin.

10. kcip

kcip Member

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a pair of Brooks Brother branded AE Strand. After wearing them for about half a day, my small toe started to hurt a little bit, with a little blister (actually it's more of a callus) forming on the top of it. This is my first pair of AE, so I am wondering if this is normal or if I should expect this to go away as they are broken in. My left foot has no problems and the shoe fits pretty comfortably.

On a related note, I went to an AE store a couple months ago and I tried on the Strand in an 8EEE and 8E (Sales associated measured me an 8EEE). I thought the EEE was slightly too wide and the E was slightly too tight. The 8EE isn't listed as a size option on the BB website, so I went with the 8E hoping they would be ok, but maybe I should have gone with the 8EEE or called to see if they have the 8EE?

11. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

I got the information about Dublin Leather from the Horween Dublin Leather web page.....

http://horween.com/leathers/essex-and-dublin/

I think that only the Ridgeways are made from Dublin Leather, as all the other AE "Rough Collection" shoes say that they are made from something other than Dublin Leather.

12. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

Sounds like the associate was right on your size. I've never come even close to getting a blister with my AEs.

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Maybe they are the Essex leathers. The Elgin should be Dublin. The rough collection is mostly cowhide though.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

15. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

^
    Heh. I'm eyeing the same listing. You're right that it doesn't look very burgundy-ish. I'm thinking the pair was left out in the sun too long and the original colour has faded to the more brown-ish colour we see now.

16. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

So I'm watching the TV show 'Scandal' on netflix and there is a shot where the president has his feet up on his desk and lo and behold he's wearing Allen Edmonds. Said so on the soles. Kinda cool that the costume designer on the show got the detail correct that U.S Presidents wear Allen Edmonds. Anyway, just wanted to share

17. konoyaro

konoyaro Senior member

18. Da GOAT

Da GOAT Well-Known Member

E clearance sale has my long time wants long branch and the double monks at a third off, wasn't expecting this. Don't need more shoes, wife is away, ugh so tempting.

19. pkiula

pkiula Senior member

Some nice shoes here but,most fall short of being a truly satisfying cut. Is there any AE last that looks like vass u last or k last? The more European cut. Would love to see some of those! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

20. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

They look like AE burgundy to me. The conditions in which the pictures were taken can have a dramatic effect on how they look. As was also mentioned, they may very well have faded but I'd guess its more a result of an overexposed, slightly washed out, low contrast image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.