Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Thanks for the comments. Two opposing opinions... lol. On the one hand, I do tend to get unnecessarily anal over small things, but then again like gsgleason said, for $345 (actually I paid slightly less for that with the "Soles for Souls" discount), I should be completely satisfied. I should be able to make it to an AE store within the next couple weeks, so maybe I'll take them there and try to find a pair that doesn't have this problem.

Any other thoughts?

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Admittedly, it is hard to find good records of past pricing on shoes. That said, here is an article from The New York Times published in 2011: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/fashion/21SHOES.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0, which says that the shoes cost $325.00. They were $335.00 last year, and now they are $345.00.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

3. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

If you can go to a store, that's all the better. Call them and tell them what's going on and verify they have some of your size in stock, then go try them and exchange if they're good.

4. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Yeah, at this point I think that's what I'll do. It really is unfortunate that this gaping problem is fairly common with AE. I'll be interested to see if my Fifth Ave seconds that are on the way have the same issue. Fingers crossed, they won't.

While I'm thinking about it, does the AE shoebank accept returns on seconds, or is it an "all sales are final" kind of thing?

5. cdmcallister

cdmcallister Well-Known Member

Mr. Sizzle, Of course... That's the master plan, good sir!

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If they are still pretty stiff, then you should be good to go. I think they might be too worn for flush metal toe taps, but you could still do rubber ones.
    You can probably leave the darker shoe in the sun to fade it.
    That sounds slightly expensive for rubber heels. I think they should be more in the $20 range for rubber. I don't recall what I paid for JR dovetail combo heels but it was in the $30 - $40 range.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

7. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

return them. bowing is not normal, and asymmetric bowing may feel funny on your feet but will certainly bug the heck out of you every time you look at the shoes. bowing has been covered extensively in this thread, and again, it is NOT normal.

8. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Thanks for the affirmation. I'll be exchanging this pair for sure.

9. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Nice looking shoes. What model is this? Really nice toe punch.

10. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

There seems to be two factions here as far as the wishers go. Those that desire a new cordovan offering and those that yearn for the return of a one-piece.

wouldn't a shell wholecut make everyone happy? I know that I'd like that.

11. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

Well, at least not me. A wholecut would seem too formal for having it in cordovan with its silky matt look. I am aware that there are people out there giving cordovan shoes a glossy shine, but IMO that ruins this unique look of the cordovan leather. Just my 2ct.

12. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Black formal wholecut calf would pique my interest.

13. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I used Neet's Foot Oil to darken cordovan once. It was a brown shoe through.

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Regarding wholecuts, did the discontinued AE models have a back seam? I have seen pictures of wholecuts both and without a back seam. It seems like it would be much more difficult to construct the shoe without.

15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

My understanding is that while shell wholecuts are occasionally done by some brands, shell cordovan tends not to have quite the requisite stretchiness needed to form over a last as a single piece of material... and is more likely to tear in the process. I'd rather see them continue to not offer it if the alternative means a number of ruined shells.
    :hide:

Agreed! No toe punches or broguing, and +100 bonus points if they include silk laces as well as normal ones on the black pairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.