Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I try not to think of the color of the shoes as they come or on the website because a lot of color comes up on the original wipe-down with Saphir Renovateur (or any other conditioner/lotion). I've noticed this occurrence is even more pronounced on bourbon shoes with heavy burnishing.

As far as the color of the posted loafers, I would have recommended dying them a darker brown, along the lines of the darker shoe. Then, I realized they were shell and not calf. It would take a lot of work to get them close to each other, and I doubt he'd ever really manage to. If he wiped them down with some kind of conditioner/lotion, brushed them up, and still found them to be so distinct from one another, I'd recommend sending them back. Neither applying a quick coat of lotion nor brushing them down once should prevent the return of a pair of seconds. It could, however, help determine the true color before making a decision.

2. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

Thanks for the advice gentlemen! These are the only pair left in 9D, but it turns out there is another in 8.5D. I am hesitant to return them as 8.5D could be too small for me. Does shell cordovan mold to your feet in general?

3. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

I would like the opinion of the AE experts in this thread. A few weeks ago, I received my first pair of Allen Edmonds shoes: black Park Avenues. I have not worn them yet except to try them on indoors on carpeted floors. They fit great, feel great, and overall I'm very pleased with the quality. I even already have my second pair of AEs on the way (brown Fifth Avenue seconds).

Anyway, these black Park Aves are first quality, purchased directly from AE online. As you can see in the pictures below, the upper portion of the right shoe bows outward (near my inside ankle) to a greater extent than on the left shoe. This is evident when the shoes are on or off the feet. As a result, I get a very slight amount of "gaping" on the right shoe when I'm wearing them, but none at all on the left shoe. When I first got the shoes, it didn't really bother me that much, and I figured that perhaps after some time in shoe trees, the problem with the right shoe would correct itself as the leather is stretched. I have not yet tested that theory, however, as I haven't had trees in these shoes. (I know, I know, blasphemous, but like I said I haven't worn these shoes yet, and I'm waiting on some Epic shoe trees that I've ordered from Kirby Allison, but are currently backordered.)

What does everyone here think? Is the small gaping in the right shoe a non-issue, or should I consider exchanging them? I know that people have had issue with gaping around the ankles even on properly fitting AE shoes, and thankfully it's not nearly as bad on my shoe than some of the examples I've seen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I just don't think it is a coincidence. They raise their prices regularly, without fail, as do most companies. Alden raises theirs by a set percentage annually (6%).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

5. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

Thanks for that post as I am about to take sand paper to my the edge of my Walnut 5th Aves and I wondered how they would turn out. I am also planning to use the Chili edge dressing as the Natural edge dressing doesn't do much IMO.

6. cdmcallister

cdmcallister Well-Known Member

Sizzle, now you're just trying to make me jealous with the bourbon McAllisters. Either jealous, or motivated. I'll go with the latter. Great looking shoes!!

7. Deladonis

Deladonis Member

[​IMG]
    Whole cuts on the 7 & 8 Last like the Fairfax and Mahattan are discontinued. Why can't AE make whole cuts anymore? They are stylish and classic also. I can dream about the greenich, westgates and weybridges coming back. Whole cuts make a return!!!!!!!

8. cdmcallister

cdmcallister Well-Known Member

Thanks ColdIron. Much appreciated. Did you serve? If so, thank you for your service and defending my freedom!

9. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Here's a pair of wholecuts I got off ebay and had recrafted about one year ago. Love em.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Mr. McAllister, I think you should get yourself a pair... in every color!

11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Its normal. Stop worrying about your shoes and start enjoying them.

12. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I was thinking it might be better to get a different angle for the picture of the right foot. From the perspective used, it seems awfully open and loose around the ankle.

Now, I haven't had bowing issues on the 5-last, but I've heard multiple reasons for the problem. One is too much material on the side of the shoe. Another is that the wearer is more flat-footed than the last/sole would accomodate. Either way, that shoe looks like it has some very pronounced bowing, especially for a shoe that really hasn't been worn as much as others who've experience the bowing issue.

13. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Interesting...as a follower of AE for the last 2-3 years, this was the first across the board price hike Ive ever noticed...if it is regularly, it certainly isnt often. Which I can appreciate.

14. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Flyswatter, I would return them. If it bothers you now, just return them and avoid wearing them out and regretting it. For $345 you deserve to be completely satisfied.

This is unfortunately not uncommon in AE shoes. I don't know what they do, but it happens a lot. Hopefully a replacement pair is of better quality.

15. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Does anyone else's heel start to flatten after a while? I can't tell if it's normal, due to the way I walk, or due to my daily driving (foot on pedal, heel on floor).

I'll try to take pics later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.