• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
The black spots at the top are from using Reno and where my finger was rubbing, only a few showed up here but there are about a dozen like that. About the same as using Renomat above. After that I let them sit for awhile and dampened the other end of the T-shirt and wiped them down before brushing. You can see what came off at the bottom of the shirt. No color change because it was black shell but when brushing shell I prefer to brush shell, not cream. You could play around trying to match them and use Saphir Cordovan polish in Cordovan after stripping but in the long run I think it would better to just return them.

I try not to think of the color of the shoes as they come or on the website because a lot of color comes up on the original wipe-down with Saphir Renovateur (or any other conditioner/lotion). I've noticed this occurrence is even more pronounced on bourbon shoes with heavy burnishing.

As far as the color of the posted loafers, I would have recommended dying them a darker brown, along the lines of the darker shoe. Then, I realized they were shell and not calf. It would take a lot of work to get them close to each other, and I doubt he'd ever really manage to. If he wiped them down with some kind of conditioner/lotion, brushed them up, and still found them to be so distinct from one another, I'd recommend sending them back. Neither applying a quick coat of lotion nor brushing them down once should prevent the return of a pair of seconds. It could, however, help determine the true color before making a decision.

stgrim

Reaction score
I try not to think of the color of the shoes as they come or on the website because a lot of color comes up on the original wipe-down with Saphir Renovateur (or any other conditioner/lotion). I've noticed this occurrence is even more pronounced on bourbon shoes with heavy burnishing.

As far as the color of the posted loafers, I would have recommended dying them a darker brown, along the lines of the darker shoe. Then, I realized they were shell and not calf. It would take a lot of work to get them close to each other, and I doubt he'd ever really manage to. If he wiped them down with some kind of conditioner/lotion, brushed them up, and still found them to be so distinct from one another, I'd recommend sending them back. Neither applying a quick coat of lotion nor brushing them down once should prevent the return of a pair of seconds. It could, however, help determine the true color before making a decision.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen! These are the only pair left in 9D, but it turns out there is another in 8.5D. I am hesitant to return them as 8.5D could be too small for me. Does shell cordovan mold to your feet in general?

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like the opinion of the AE experts in this thread. A few weeks ago, I received my first pair of Allen Edmonds shoes: black Park Avenues. I have not worn them yet except to try them on indoors on carpeted floors. They fit great, feel great, and overall I'm very pleased with the quality. I even already have my second pair of AEs on the way (brown Fifth Avenue seconds).

Anyway, these black Park Aves are first quality, purchased directly from AE online. As you can see in the pictures below, the upper portion of the right shoe bows outward (near my inside ankle) to a greater extent than on the left shoe. This is evident when the shoes are on or off the feet. As a result, I get a very slight amount of "gaping" on the right shoe when I'm wearing them, but none at all on the left shoe. When I first got the shoes, it didn't really bother me that much, and I figured that perhaps after some time in shoe trees, the problem with the right shoe would correct itself as the leather is stretched. I have not yet tested that theory, however, as I haven't had trees in these shoes. (I know, I know, blasphemous, but like I said I haven't worn these shoes yet, and I'm waiting on some Epic shoe trees that I've ordered from Kirby Allison, but are currently backordered.)

What does everyone here think? Is the small gaping in the right shoe a non-issue, or should I consider exchanging them? I know that people have had issue with gaping around the ankles even on properly fitting AE shoes, and thankfully it's not nearly as bad on my shoe than some of the examples I've seen.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no prob...I understand what you're saying, but Ill have to agree to disagree...until I see evidence to the contrary, it is far TOO coincidental that price increases, and reduction in alternative leather offerings have come at the same time that AE rolls out its costume shoes, for me to dismiss it as merely happenstance.

I just don't think it is a coincidence. They raise their prices regularly, without fail, as do most companies. Alden raises theirs by a set percentage annually (6%).

Last edited:

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score

New pics of my $45 shell MacNeils after some Mac Method cleaning, some brushing, a little bit of Renovateur, and a very small bit of AE shell polish. The Mac Method stuff works, and I would have used it exclusively on this pair, but they are old and sort of dried out, especially after I spent so much time removing old buildup with Renomat when I first got them. This is the pair where I used fine grain sandpaper to ground down the black welt and refinished them with some AE natural and chili edge treatment.
Thanks for that post as I am about to take sand paper to my the edge of my Walnut 5th Aves and I wondered how they would turn out. I am also planning to use the Chili edge dressing as the Natural edge dressing doesn't do much IMO.

cdmcallister

Reaction score

Well, my new bourbon McAllisters came in today, and they look great! (I took two pictures to try to capture the color correctly.)
Sizzle, now you're just trying to make me jealous with the bourbon McAllisters. Either jealous, or motivated. I'll go with the latter. Great looking shoes!!

Deladonis

Reaction score

Whole cuts on the 7 & 8 Last like the Fairfax and Mahattan are discontinued. Why can't AE make whole cuts anymore? They are stylish and classic also. I can dream about the greenich, westgates and weybridges coming back. Whole cuts make a return!!!!!!!

cdmcallister

Reaction score

Mr. McAllister I don't have much time and am headed out the door, but wanted to respond to your post. And say that in my view you nailed it. You also answered Fashion Fan questions as did cbtaylor. And I'll add AE customer service going well above and beyond what most ANY companies today do. Been a heck of a day at work (all good) and several PM's with someone on here today put a smile on my face each time. As did New Shoes1 and the kids on the lawn :) But I wanted to say that your avatar is the best of any that I have ever seen on any BBS even since we used to have to dial up to a first class BB services @ 1200 bps because that Al Gore fellow hadn't yet invented the internet. Maybe because that was because the military hadn't yet turned over ARPNET to him? Only AE works with the military active and retired as far as a higher end shoe company, and that is something that I find hard to ignore. Have a great weekend.
Thanks ColdIron. Much appreciated. Did you serve? If so, thank you for your service and defending my freedom!

PK35216

Reaction score

Whole cuts on the 7 & 8 Last like the Fairfax and Mahattan are discontinued. Why can't AE make whole cuts anymore? They are stylish and classic also. I can dream about the greenich, westgates and weybridges coming back. Whole cuts make a return!!!!!!!
Here's a pair of wholecuts I got off ebay and had recrafted about one year ago. Love em.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Sizzle, now you're just trying to make me jealous with the bourbon McAllisters. Either jealous, or motivated. I'll go with the latter. Great looking shoes!!

Mr. McAllister, I think you should get yourself a pair... in every color!

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like the opinion of the AE experts in this thread. A few weeks ago, I received my first pair of Allen Edmonds shoes: black Park Avenues. I have not worn them yet except to try them on indoors on carpeted floors. They fit great, feel great, and overall I'm very pleased with the quality. I even already have my second pair of AEs on the way (brown Fifth Avenue seconds).

Anyway, these black Park Aves are first quality, purchased directly from AE online. As you can see in the pictures below, the upper portion of the right shoe bows outward (near my inside ankle) to a greater extent than on the left shoe. This is evident when the shoes are on or off the feet. As a result, I get a very slight amount of "gaping" on the right shoe when I'm wearing them, but none at all on the left shoe. When I first got the shoes, it didn't really bother me that much, and I figured that perhaps after some time in shoe trees, the problem with the right shoe would correct itself as the leather is stretched. I have not yet tested that theory, however, as I haven't had trees in these shoes. (I know, I know, blasphemous, but like I said I haven't worn these shoes yet, and I'm waiting on some Epic shoe trees that I've ordered from Kirby Allison, but are currently backordered.)

What does everyone here think? Is the small gaping in the right shoe a non-issue, or should I consider exchanging them? I know that people have had issue with gaping around the ankles even on properly fitting AE shoes, and thankfully it's not nearly as bad on my shoe than some of the examples I've seen.

Its normal. Stop worrying about your shoes and start enjoying them.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Its normal. Stop worrying about your shoes and start enjoying them.

I was thinking it might be better to get a different angle for the picture of the right foot. From the perspective used, it seems awfully open and loose around the ankle.

Now, I haven't had bowing issues on the 5-last, but I've heard multiple reasons for the problem. One is too much material on the side of the shoe. Another is that the wearer is more flat-footed than the last/sole would accomodate. Either way, that shoe looks like it has some very pronounced bowing, especially for a shoe that really hasn't been worn as much as others who've experience the bowing issue.

harlequin782

Reaction score
I just don't think it is a coincidence. They raise their prices regularly, without fail, as do most companies. Alden raises theirs by a set percentage annually (6%).

Interesting...as a follower of AE for the last 2-3 years, this was the first across the board price hike Ive ever noticed...if it is regularly, it certainly isnt often. Which I can appreciate.

gsgleason

Reaction score
Flyswatter, I would return them. If it bothers you now, just return them and avoid wearing them out and regretting it. For $345 you deserve to be completely satisfied.

This is unfortunately not uncommon in AE shoes. I don't know what they do, but it happens a lot. Hopefully a replacement pair is of better quality.

Last edited:

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Does anyone else's heel start to flatten after a while? I can't tell if it's normal, due to the way I walk, or due to my daily driving (foot on pedal, heel on floor).

I'll try to take pics later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads