1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I still can't take my eyes off those.

2. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Sweet. This is what I want, but in reference to my earlier post, is the Brooks Brothers version of the Shelton basically the same shoe with a different sole, or is the leather not as good as the AE shoe?

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    For some of us the Anniversary sale starts in just a few weeks on July 10th. And last year's Anniversary Sale was a whopping 35% off retail.

4. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I think the sole is different, but that's it. These Sheltons are all-shell, by the way.

5. David Copeland

Again, it was just a comment by Brett (who is a Manager at Nordstroms Shoes) - and he has been at Nordstroms for 19 years, owns over 90 pair of very nice shoes (including AE, Alden, etc) - and he mentioned he uses a dress style of the Echo for on his feet all day. I would think others, such as doctors, would be good to visit a Nordstrom Department Store and try on a pair, alongside any of the AE styles to - and make the judgement in person.

[​IMG]
    Canberra Wing Tip

[​IMG]
    Canberra Leather Sole Tie

[​IMG]
    Birmingham Cap Toe Tie

[​IMG]
    Windsor Tie

[​IMG]
    Portisco

For more: CLICK HERE

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Those walnut shell MacNeils are amazing. They're exactly what I'm looking for to fill the "casual yet stylish" void in my AE collection.

7. David Copeland

Great advice.

How long did it take you?

8. David Copeland

Perhaps on some styles, but they have other dress shoes which have a decent stitched-like welt around the top of the sole. That is the type Brett favors. Next time you go to a good store, examine them for yourself - that is if you need a pair for on your feet all day. Otherwise, you would not need to consider Ecco.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  9. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

"Ecco." Not "Echo"

10. David Copeland

The Ecco suggestion was for "those who are on their feet all day", who want something dressy and attractive - but COMFORTABLE for all day use. It's just a choice and has less to do with price and more to do with all day comfort.

Rather than concentrate on the factory video - here is a video in the final step of wear:

11. David Copeland

Thanks for the correction. Seems that my fingers have their own spell-check built in with less regard for brand names. [ wink ]

David

12. David Copeland

For those who have ever made a move on inside trading - then you will understand why the secrecy on precise prices, precise styles, and precise pre-order information. Simply said, if any of us has inside info on forthcoming sales of AE products that have not been formally released - then competitors would be all over the source.

Is it odd? Of course. Ho often does anyone get inside dope on what could amount to a 35% discount on any size, any color, in several of the most popular styles?

If it legit? Absolutely. Some members have already privately verified it.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I think it's safe to say that virtually all regular (and many not-so-regular) posters on this thread know about Nordstrom's yearly anniversary sale and the general amount of discount offered. It's usually just a question of which styles, although it often tends to be Park Ave + Strands + several others.

14. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Ah, the extended Mount Rushmore of the AEAT

You all have led me to a nicer wardrobe, a smaller bank account and an obsession I never thought I'd partake in.

I feel as if someone should write a version of the Canterbury Tales with passages for each of these men. Someone more creative than myself, of course...

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Burgundy shell Leeds today.

[​IMG]

I've gone about the last two weeks wearing exclusively shell. Granted its early summer but we had some very hot days last week. I don't see much of a difference in warm weather comfort with shell shoes (LWB, PTB, etc.). I broke out the color 8 cap toe boots one cool day last week but I rarely wear boots in calf or shell in the summer.

16. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

[​IMG]

17. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I lean more to your tastes as well, NewShoes. I think the length of the wing on the Dalton is quite attractive.

1 person likes this.
  18. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Excellent.
    I thought there was something a bit special about them.
    Almost a glow.

19. David Copeland

Well, I purchased the Dalton's counter-part sister - the LONG BRANCH .

[​IMG]

My first Allen Edmond Boots that will expand my small collection of "dress shoes" - since I moved to Montana.

David

20. wohwoh

wohwoh Well-Known Member

May someone advise?

I recently acquired a pair of Clifton's from the Nordstrom sale and I am having issues with creasing on the toe cap.

I normally wear a 7 or 7.5. On the brannock device, I was measured 7 for my left foot and 7 for my right foot. Depending on how I stand, my right foot may pass 7 just a tiny bit.

First pair was 7E and the fit felt fantastic. Only issue was my right shoe developed a crease in the middle of the toe cap after a day of wear. I thought the creasing in the toe cap meant I needed a longer length in size so I went for the 7.5D.

The 7.5D was very uncomfortable right off the bat, but it seemed to have stretched out a bit after a couple hours of wear. The fit is now OK, but not as great as the 7E. On top of that, the issue still exists, a creasing developed on my right shoe in the middle of the toe cap. The creasing is not as bad, but I can still see it. It's weird that the creasing developed around the same exact place as the 7E.

Is the design/last just not meant for my feet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.