1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Wow - real beauties - congrats!

2. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Me too, just in case. It also makes off-season storage easier, both to find and to move them between closets.

3. sazon

sazon Senior member

Calikid: dope, dope chukkas. Congrats!

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Speaking of the Dalton ..... I am not a fan of the Dalton, shell or calf. IMO, the wings extend too far toward the toe making it appear out of proportion. The smooth leather portion between the last set of eyelets and the end of the wings occupies entirely too much space. I have even purchased a pair thinking I could get used to them. Nope. Had to send them back. I have been quite surprised by how popular they have become. Same proportion problem with the Player's Shoe, which I have actually owned. i had to sell them as I could just never learn to like them. Just not pleasing to my eye. Perhaps I am in the minority. Obviously many like both models ....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  5. sevenfoldtieguy

The hype and secrecy = odd.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

Interesting.

It's actually difficult for me to categorize any of Ecco's models as "dress" shoes in the traditional sense.

7. thecooldude33

thecooldude33 Active Member

I only used the Saphir wax for the job. I was using the Allen Edmonds polish before (the one in the tube with the sponge applicator thing), but I found that the AE polish just wasn't giving the shine I desired. I ordered the Saphir Wax and found the difference to be like night and day.

I apply a little bit of wax to the shoe with a cloth, then dip the same cloth in a tiny amount of water. Add a bit more wax and rub to the now wet cloth onto the shoe. I use another cloth to get most of the polish off. Then I use the saphir buffing cloth to bring out the deep shine. Finally, I get some nylon pantyhose and give it a good once over.

Saphir products are amazing.

8. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I'm loving that colour. Very unique! Congrats!

9. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Keeping at least some of the shoe boxes, as well as the shipping boxes that the shoe boxes come in when they are shipped from Allen-Edmonds, will give you some shoe boxes and shipping boxes to use if you have to send your shoes back to Allen-Edmonds for recrafting (or for other repairs).

10. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I got that same shoe stretcher off of Amazon. It looks pretty high quality, but unfortunately it's way too big. I got a size Men's Small and I can't even get the heel piece in my 9D Sheltons. Did y'all have a similar problem?

11. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

My pair of Fifth Streets arrived today (picked them up for $120 - 2nd hand but lightly used) - love them!
    [​IMG]

btw if the June No Purchase club is watching me - i bought these in may! :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  12. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

That's a thing?

13. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

14. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Or accept the previously suggested notion that Ecco's are indistinguishable from a high quality dress shoe from the normal vantage point. I may not be able to ID the various brands of shoes on the feet of people I meet, but i can usually spot Ecco's from a mile away due to their tennis shoe like characteristics.

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Bucksfan: I do not think I've ever seen you post pictures of shell chukka's. Potential new addition to the collection?

17. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    For professional sizing in suits and shoes, I have yet to find a national department store that does a better job. No one here on this internet site can fit anyone else in shoe sizing. It requires a personal visitation to "know" what size you wear in different styles (as styles now have different "lasts" or molds.

I push Allen Edmonds web site too, especially after I spoke to the president of the company. I have been a fan for 14 years.

Allen Edmonds web site also recommends this too - at their stores, as well as their authorized retailers. There are probably other very good stores for sizing, but when asked - that is who I recommend.

As for pricing, Nordstroms sells at regular retail prices like any other store, except when they have selected styles on sale. I also recommend Zappos for excellent quality, free shipping, and free returns. And 6pm.com is Zappo's outlet site for great buys. But the internet sites can't fit people.

There are few stores and sites that offer free shipping both ways, including returns. So far, that is AE site, Nordstroms, and Zappos. There may be others, but I have not found them.

[​IMG]
    I also recommend the 100% Cotton no-iron button down dress shirt from Costco, which beats most other stores in pricing. This shirt is only $17.99 - including FREE SHIPPING. Costco is one of the top stores in the country with highest marks for customer server and unbeatable satisfaction returns.

For shoe polishing, although Nordstroms sells AE products - I prefer the Saphir Mink Oil items and other solutions Saphir offers. I have only found two websites that offer detailed instructions on how to use them (one of which is Hangerproject and the other Sid Mashburn's site).

So no . . . I do not work for Nordstroms or any other company I recommend on this site. I am just a regular guy who loves recommending good products from good stores that I can vouch for.

Thanks for the question, and enjoy a safe day.

David

PS: Yes, the "inside information on the sale coming up, which I believe will be 35% off retail on several styles, came from a friend who recently purchased shoes from a store. And the manager was kind enough to let him look at the unannounced sale without making it an official press release.

18. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    I did provide the details, including the retailer's direct contact information - and someone on this forum got it deleted. Therefore, all I can say is to be patient because . . . the sun will be rising in a few weeks.

The same thing happened as we approached Memorial Day weekend . . . everyone looking for a sale.

19. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

Thanks
    Thanks
    Thanks
    They just came out that way.... I am really liking the way AE finishes their shell...
    Thanks
    Thanks
    Me too, thanks

20. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I may be the bizarro version of sevenfoldtieguy. I actually really like the Dalton, but am not a fan of the Leeds or MacNeil, which, if I recall correctly, are two of sevenfold's favorite AE's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.