Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

bumping this post from a few weeks ago.

same situation as MWS: went into nordstrom rack to see if they had anything good, saw the Rawlins model in brown leather. looked really nice, wish it had been a 10.5 instead of a 10D. it's on the 8 last too, which everyone loves. the AE website has it on clearance in black leather, but no more info. anyone know anything about this model's history?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. sazon

sazon Senior member

Strand-lovin today in dark brown shell cordovan. Olive undertones really starting to come through when the photo is taken with a flash.

[​IMG]

3. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Beautiful strands. Try bar-lacing or european bar lacing, i think it will make the shoes look cleaner (just my opinion). I am jealous of all you guys with low insteps that can bring the quarters together like this. My AE bals always have some gap despite fitting in the footbed

4. sazon

sazon Senior member

Thank you. Agree on the clean look of bar lacing but I can never seem to get a good snug fit with that method. Any suggesstions?

5. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I usually do this with my bals http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straighteuropeanlacing.htm. The normal bar lacing method isn't snug enough for me either

6. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

You have some wide ankles.

7. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

Hi All, I posted this over the weekend but it just was allowed up today by the moderators and it's several pages back, so I'm reposting because I want your opinions!

8. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

9. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

Quote: Funny enough, my experience is just the opposite: Strand calf and McTavish fits remarkable larger (i.e. wider) then the Cambridge cordovan. OTOH my Lubbock 11.5D, as well one of the rough collection shoes, does fit very tight, I would most probably get an 11.5E if I would buy it again.

Unfortunately there is not one single retailer around where I could try them, I already went to 3 cities and ten shops in total, of which none even carried the Randolph or the Patriot, let alone try them on in different sizes. Furthermore, no retailer in Germany usually has any other width then "E" in stock so you are left in the dark anyway. Plus, there is as well no online shop carrying those models. Pretty annoying. [​IMG]

What I could try were Aldens 986 (similar to the Patriot) and 684 (similar to the Randolph) and found that the 986 in 11E still is a bit too large (wide) and the 684 in 11.5E just fits. Although I am aware that this means nothing regarding the AE lasts I just wanted to let you know FYA. [​IMG]

10. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I'll check them out in-store if I can. But I do like the look of your bourbon strands. If I do end up buying strands at some point, I think I'd prefer the bourbon colour over walnut. Looks nice!

Good point; I had forgotten that Strands were bals.

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

No clue on the history, though I happened to find some at my Rack, as well. If I recall, they were seconds and cost about $200.

I tried them on and was pretty happy with the 8 last, which fit in 8.5D just like my Strands. The toe is just just a tad more pointed than the Kenilworth, though I can't find any pictures online from the top to show that off. If I were being really picky, I'd say I'd prefer something between the Rawlins and the Kenilworth with regard to toe box shape.

12. sazon

sazon Senior member

Thank you. Sign of fertility my friend.

Actually, my ankles look nothing like that IRL. Must have been the angle of the pic.

13. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I'm not sure, but it's not just an issue with open vs. closed lacing. I've had it confirmed through AE that the Kenilworth fits differently from other 5 last shoes. It runs longer and has a lower profile.

14. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I was just in a store that carries some AE shoes. They had flatirons, but no kenilworth, so I couldn't compare them. I did get a chance to compare the bourbon and chili colours, though. The bourbon is a little darker than the walnut, less "yellow" and more "brown". Not as red as the chili. But still a lot lighter than the regular AE brown. It looks really good on the strands, which they had in stock.

15. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

I've worn 10 EEE's forever including all my AE's but I recently bought the Kenilworth in Bourbon and the 9.5 EEE fit perfectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.