Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Burgundy shell Leeds at the one year mark. This is the *old* burgundy shade and purchased as factory 2nds. AE was really giving these things away this time last year. As much as I prefer the *new* burgundy shade, I do really like this traditional burgundy color. They are super versatile and see frequent wear in my rotation. This is by far the best fitting AE last for me. I wish all my shoes fit this well. The JR soles wear like iron!

I mentioned above that they seem real dry so I apply Renovateur not quite monthly, maybe every six weeks or so. However, I ran out of Reno so I took a brush to them last night and they came back perfectly. I brushed for longer than normal but it brings the oils and waxes to the surface so well. It speaks to the efficacy of Mac method. Care for shell is really simple, taking more effort than knowledge.

Mid-day sun isn't ideal for pictures but the white balance/color is fairly accurate on my monitor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Gorgeous. Love seeing shoes like these with some miles on them.

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

For the record, your skill at matching depth of field with the shiniest part of the shoe is almost as fantastic as the finish on those shoes. :D

4. sfuser

sfuser New Member

What is 5 last, 7 last and 8 last? Sorry if this question is basic.

5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I didn't like Neumora. The toe just looks too long and square ...... Magnanni style ! Luckily I was able to pick up a pair of Mora during this 2 for $250 sale. Mora is on a beautiful last and I think one of the most beautiful double monk. Other than that c&j Lowndes is another good (a bit more expensive)option.

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

That's very nice of you to notice and kind of you to point it out [​IMG].The little Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens is such a great value and produces some great DOF.

Well said. I always thought the Mora had been long since discontinued. The C&J is a gorgeous option. When I think of double monks I always remember those great images of a well worn pair of Sid Mashburn double monks which were the Alfred Sargent Ramsey. They made the rounds of the menswear blogs.

Sid Mashburn double monk well worn:

[​IMG]

Alfred Sargent Ramsey:
    [​IMG]

7. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

What AE's would you gents recommend for a black suit/tuxedo?

Thanks in advance.

8. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Wow. Ordered my chocolate suede players and cordovan mcgraw's yesterday at noon, player's arrived today. Flawless. no indication of them being 2nds whatsoever. Now I REALLY regret not getting the navy ones when I had a chance.

9. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Black calf shoes, polished well with Saphir in navy, and get them as shiny shiny shiny as possible, if you aren't going with a patent leather.

Park Ave
    Harrison
    Fifth Ave (meh, not my first choice because of the brogued cap toe)
    Westchester if you are looking for a loafer
    I would also consider the Flat Iron, not a conventional look but I think it would look fantastic with a suit, stylish and sleek

10. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Thanks for posing this. My Walnut Cloud Park Aves are being shipped Monday. :)

11. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Someday my photography skills will push me to own a better rig than my D40 and 35mm/1.8... but that day is still quite far off.

For a black suit, any black balmoral shoe.
    For a tuxedo, the Ritz or Copley... neither of which are made anymore. :censored:

In their absence, I agree wholeheartedly with jjr4884 that either Park Avenue or Harrison would be the most correct (and classiest) offering available from Allen Edmonds. :nodding:

12. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

So I posted in this thread a couple weeks ago, having just acquired my first pair of Allen Edmonds--black Park Avenues. As I'm just beginning my collection of quality dress shoes, I'm a total noob when it comes to shoe care: cleaning, conditioning, polishing, etc. I've picked up bits and pieces here and there from this thread as well as Put This On, but I'd appreciate it if someone here could touch on the basics, or point me to a good shoe care guide. I'm hoping to acquire my next pair of AEs shortly, most likely brown Fifth Aves. I'm mainly wondering if I need to do anything to my shoes right off the bat, or are they good for a while? If they're good for a while, how soon should I give them their first cleaning/polishing? What basic products do I need to acquire? I hear good things about Saphir products, but don't know much about specifics. As I'm planning on placing an order soon from Kirby Allison for some cedar products, I'd like to go ahead and get some shoe care supplies from him as well, as I understand he has a decent selection of shoe care products. What basic supplies should I get?

13. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

This thread has invaluable information

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

But for supplies I just don't think you can go past some Saphir Renevatuer, some horse hair brushes, polish cloth and either Saphir or AE waxes/creme polish.

14. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

There are tons of threads on Styleforum that cover these topics. Everyone has a slightly different regime, different product preferences, etc. But here's what I would do:

1. Buy some Allen Edmonds "conditioner/cleaner", some Allen Edmonds "premium polish" in the colour of your shoes, and a couple of horsehair shoe brushes (one brush for black shoes and one for other colours). As an alternative to the Allen Edmonds polish, you can also buy Collonil waterstop polish (it's essentially the same stuff, and it may be a little cheaper).
    2. Give your new shoes a coat of the conditioner/cleaner, and let them dry for 20-30 minutes.
    3. Give your shoes a coat of polish and let them dry for 20-30 minutes.
    4. Give your shoes a thorough brushing.
    5. At least once every month or two (depending on how often you wear your shoes), you should give your shoes a coat of the conditioner/cleaner. If your shoes have some scuffs or discoloured areas, you should give them a new coat of polish.

Saphir Renovateur is an excellent alternative to the AE conditioner/cleaner, but it's also pretty expensive (and hard to come by in some areas of the world).

The more often you wear your shoes, the more often you should give them some TLC. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  15. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Although I told myself that I wouldn't buy any new shoes for a while, I feel that my AE rotation is still lacking. Here's what I currently have:

Park Avenues (Black calf) - I wear these pretty rarely, usually just with a suit and tie now and then.
    Cliftons (Burgundy calf) - My most recent acquisition, I've been wearing these to work with pretty much everything.
    Delrays (Chili calf) - I really like these as well, and they work really well in my business casual office.

I know that for many SFers, the ne plus ultra of AE shoes is the walnut Strand. As nice as it is, I think it just may be a little too loud for me. I'm sort of thinking that I may want either a black shoe in a more casual style (i.e. a blucher), or something in a dark or mid brown (i.e. different from the chili and burgundy shoes that I already have). Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.