• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

OK thread back on topic.  Custom Neumoks should be getting delivered soon.  Didn't they say by March 17th?  idk... I ordered them on the last day they were available, so I would assume it would take longer than that.  idk...

Was the promised deliver-by date 3/17? I don't remember. I also ordered the Web Gem Neumoks on the last day at an AE shop. The SA told me it may be delivered a bit later than the promised date. Since I now have more shoes than I know what to do with, I'd actually be glad if they arrive later rather than sooner. :p

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to strip my Strands down using Lexol cleaner. So far this is as far as I've gotten. They need some serious elbow grease. Is Renomat significantly easier to use? I'll take anything to make the job easier at this point. Notice the color change around the broging. That's where the wax is starting to give way. The natural color is starting to come through.
I have a post almost exactly a year ago about using Renomat on my old Shelton's which turned out great. http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/4180_20#post_5348184
And used Renomat last night for the first time on shell. Wore walnut shell Dundee's yesterday and when I walked outside in the morning it was snowing so hard we were in whiteout conditions. Should have been my first clue but I wanted to see how well the Alden Defender would work. To be fair it was bad enough that only snosneal or HDLP would have worked and by noon my boots had taken on a muddy appearance much like a pair of Black Hills, but no water spotting thankfully. Looks like they had a fairly heavy coat or 10 of cream on them when they left the factory, which is why I think it can be hard to get a good shine on some AE shell. When I got home I used Renomat but didn't let it sit, rubbed each section of the leather until the cloth stopped picking up color. As soon as the whole boot was done went back over it with Reno until it was also clean, Renovateur is a fairly aggressive cleaner in its own right. Once they were stripped and clean the color was evened out perfectly and you could see the black highlights common on shell, both steaks and spots. Spent half an hour brushing them and will hit them with another water brush today or tonight but they turned out fantastic even better than before. I would get both Renomat and Renovateur and think it will work great on your Strands.
Thanks for the insight...I was asking because I had purchased some AE shell recently in the regular old burgundy, and I was trying to hold off on wearing them so that if the new shell is released, I could perhaps just make an even exchange..but if its not going to come out till October or something, then it may not even be worth the wait.
I sent an email to a SA that I trust more than any others a few days ago and heard back from her yesterday. She was not aware of any new shell offerings coming up
frown.gif
I would wear your new shell shoes anyhow (as long as your pleased with them) because even if they have something new who knows which models it will be offered in.
will some one please help me. I need an email address for a real person at AE who can assist with a customer service problem I am having. I've already sent an email to their generic customer service email, but have received no reply. the long version is here:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/17310#post_6207492

thank you,
Theo
You have mail (a PM) Theo.
Is it just the shoes in that store's inventory or for ALL the outlets?
They can sell inventory that AE has in stock from ALL the outlet's. But are the only store offering the 20% off one item. If you show up in person you can get 20% off everything. It took me most of the morning to get through to order the brown shell Patriot but I finally did and picked up the last pair in my size. Fingers crossed...

Aryeah

Reaction score
I finally purchased my first pair of McTavish that I am trying to break in. 2nd wearing today. First wearing I did for about 3 hours. This wear i'm going to go 8/9 hours. I had to go down a size. I am wearing a size 9E in the BB Strand (has padded insert) which seems good in length and is a tiny bit looser in width. When trying on the McTavish I went for an 8.5E, but it was too long. the width was good but I could pull the shoe off fully tied.

I went down to an 8E in the McTavish and they fit in the heel, are good in width, but the upper part of the instep is pretty tight. Will this stretch out from breaking them in? The left shoe is tighter than the right. The only way to explain it is it's putting pressure in between my big toe and instep when the shoe flexes as I walk.

If it won't strech on it's own, I can take it to my local cobbler to have him strech it out for me... How long does it usually take to break in a pair of McTavish?

BTW..Here is a pic of the shoes..

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Very nice. Sizzle, what color polish are you using? It looks like a light brown to mute some of the reddish tone of AE's Walnut.

Thank you. I use light brown Saphir creme surfine, but once in a while, I'll mix in some mahogany or medium brown. For the shine on the toes, I just use neutral wax.

I went down to an 8E in the McTavish and they fit in the heel, are good in width, but the upper part of the instep is pretty tight. Will this stretch out from breaking them in? The left shoe is tighter than the right. The only way to explain it is it's putting pressure in between my big toe and instep when the shoe flexes as I walk.

If it won't strech on it's own, I can take it to my local cobbler to have him strech it out for me... How long does it usually take to break in a pair of McTavish?

The leather used for the McTavish is pretty thick. I gave mine a good dose of leather lotion between wearings, but I think they still took around three wearings to become comfortable. I usually avoid having cobblers stretch shoes because it's quite difficult to stretch it exactly where you need without stretching elsewhere. When I was breaking mine in, the sole was the stiffest part, and perhaps you could flex that a few times to start working it in. I just would try to avoid the cobbler for stretching.

Last edited:

tampatravel

Reaction score
Was the promised deliver-by date 3/17? I don't remember. I also ordered the Web Gem Neumoks on the last day at an AE shop. The SA told me it may be delivered a bit later than the promised date. Since I now have more shoes than I know what to do with, I'd actually be glad if they arrive later rather than sooner.
tongue.gif

I believe the Web Gem for the Neumoks said 03/19. I think that's the "first" night of the NCAA Tourney (play-in games). I ordered on 03/03 and I'm still waiting on mine too.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have leather lotion at home.What amount should I use? A thin or thich layer?

Thin, thin, thin, thin, thin. You can always add more. Start very thin, let it absorb, then buff off when it's dry (in about a minute or so). And you aren't "fixing" anything, just adding some moisture to the leather; and they are already coming treated from the factory. So don't think you need to drown them or anything.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Allen Edmonds store in Jefferson offers Cordovan Cambridge & Park Avenues in Burgundy for $360 pre-tax after the 20% discount.
What do you guys think?

Best I've seen the cordovan seconds on sale (besides this crazy Patriot thing) was $299 a couple years ago. Thing with shell is that they don't come around often as seconds, especially in a particular size. So I'd grab those at that price!

bucksfan

Reaction score
^^ seconded, great price. Also, I stopped in the Jeffersonville store yesterday to get some golf shoes... and if anyone is a size 9D, you'll want to know that they have a pair of burgundy shell Cambridges, as well as a cappuccino shell McAllisters in the store. Jump on them!

P.S. Walnut shell Daltons today, plus burgundy shell Macneils and burgundy shell Leeds from earlier this week:

bucksfan

Reaction score
I sent an email to a SA that I trust more than any others a few days ago and heard back from her yesterday. She was not aware of any new shell offerings coming up
frown.gif
I would wear your new shell shoes anyhow (as long as your pleased with them) because even if they have something new who knows which models it will be offered in.

I got the same answer yesterday in my inquiry - but it may have been the same SA :)

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ seconded, great price. Also, I stopped in the Jeffersonville store yesterday to get some golf shoes... and if anyone is a size 9D, you'll want to know that they have a pair of burgundy shell Cambridges, as well as a cappuccino shell McAllisters in the store. Jump on them! P.S. Walnut shell Daltons today, plus burgundy shell Macneils and burgundy shell Leeds from earlier this week:
Bucksfan, is the Leeds old color burgundy and the MacNeil new, or is it the other way around? My MacNeils are the same color as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads