• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going from a D to a EEE is a big jump, why not try an E? I've seen people post about going to a wider size. 

I was just looking at what is available on the Nordstrom website...

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm, if thats the case I would think the Strand may be even worse with the other action on the toe, but thats my opinion. What do I know?

The Strand actually has a longer toe cap, which is why it's more attractive to me.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6105_1_40000000001_-1
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5705_1_40000000001_-1

That should/may be an overhead shot of the 5th Ave and the Strand. They're the same color and appear to be the same size. The toe cap appears to be somewhat longer on the Strand. That one change really makes the shoe "pop" for me.

blsing

Reaction score
I was just looking at what is available on the Nordstrom website...

I am a EEE, I cant even fit past my toes into a D, so there is ahuge difference in widths. Your foot would probably be sliding around in a EEE.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am a EEE, I cant even fit past my toes into a D, so there is ahuge difference in widths. Your foot would probably be sliding around in a EEE. 

Ah, thanks. I have no sense of the differences. I'll have to go into a store and try them.

blsing

Reaction score
Ah, thanks. I have no sense of the differences. I'll have to go into a store and try them.

FYI there is a review on Zappos that said they are a D width, tried the EEE, it was too wide, and the E was perfect for the Lombard.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of sizing thought I'd post here instead of in the Dalton thread where I did yesterday, I'm looking for opinions.

Got my Shell Dalton boots yesterday and also a pair of Bayfield. The Bayfield fit like a custom built shoe and are 10D as are the other 6 pair of AE shoes I own. If AE had another pair of Bayfield in my size I'd buy them in a heartbeat, they are one of the best fitting shoes or boots I've ever had, even better than my MTM Russell Moccasin boots. Russell made my boots on a 9.5C last, with a close to a size 10 upper. I'm in between the two sizes but 10D has always worked in AE shoes and most other brands.

The Dalton are darker brown than what I thought they would be, which IMO is a good thing. Beautiful boot, love them. However I have a fair amount of slippage in the heel area, they feel way too wide in the back. My Shell Leeds, Wilbert and Shelton which are all on the same last as the Dalton fit perfectly. That is after stretching the left shoe toebox on the Leeds for a bunion which they caused from friction when they were new. I was thinking about exchanging the Dalton for a 9.5 D to see if it would help reduce slippage, any thoughts from the experts?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of sizing thought I'd post here instead of in the Dalton thread where I did yesterday, I'm looking for opinions.

Got my Shell Dalton boots yesterday and also a pair of Bayfield. The Bayfield fit like a custom built shoe and are 10D as are the other 6 pair of AE shoes I own. If AE had another pair of Bayfield in my size I'd buy them in a heartbeat, they are one of the best fitting shoes or boots I've ever had, even better than my MTM Russell Moccasin boots. Russell made my boots on a 9.5C last, with a close to a size 10 upper. I'm in between the two sizes but 10D has always worked in AE shoes and most other brands.

The Dalton are darker brown than what I thought they would be, which IMO is a good thing. Beautiful boot, love them. However I have a fair amount of slippage in the heel area, they feel way too wide in the back. My Shell Leeds, Wilbert and Shelton which are all on the same last as the Dalton fit perfectly. That is after stretching the left shoe toebox on the Leeds for a bunion which they caused from friction when they were new. I was thinking about exchanging the Dalton for a 9.5 D to see if it would help reduce slippage, any thoughts from the experts?

Can you exchange for a 10C?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I completely agree. However, due to the Nordstrom sale and factory seconds, I havent really spent more than $200 on shoes, so I'd find it hard to make the jump up to the $300 range.  The Williams is now my dream shoe, so here's to hoping it gets included in a ridiculous outlet sale. 

I'm waiting for the same thing. If I can find the independence longwing at the Freeport outlet during one of the 15-25% sales, I'm all over it. Edward mentioned that he was ordering the Independence line for his outlet but I don't know how they'd be priced. I won't get up there until mid January.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd think an insole like superfeet could take up enough volume to achieve a better fit. Worth a try for shell at that price, I'd think. You don't have anything to lose, unless you can exchange for a different size easily.

viator

Reaction score
I realize this is the appreciation thread, so I am happy to remove this post if it's unwelcome, but I thought I would offer some information to potential recrafting customers. I recently sent a pair of AEs back for recrafcting and asked that AE use the titan rubber sole so I coudl then use the shoes as my rainy day pair. After not much time, the toplift on the heel started coming off, so I brought them to Nick at B. Nelson this morning. Nick pointed out that the new soles should have been stitched onto the welt. They were not, the rubber soles were simply glued to a midsole that was attached to the original welt. The welt had not been replaced, as AE says it does when recrafting shoes. Just a word to the wise that having AE put rubber soles on your shoes might not be the best idea.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I realize this is the appreciation thread, so I am happy to remove this post if it's unwelcome, but I thought I would offer some information to potential recrafting customers. I recently sent a pair of AEs back for recrafcting and asked that AE use the titan rubber sole so I coudl then use the shoes as my rainy day pair. After not much time, the toplift on the heel started coming off, so I brought them to Nick at B. Nelson this morning. Nick pointed out that the new soles should have been stitched onto the welt. They were not, the rubber soles were simply glued to a midsole that was attached to the original welt. The welt had not been replaced, as AE says it does when recrafting shoes. Just a word to the wise that having AE put rubber soles on your shoes might not be the best idea.

This kind of information is much appreciated, and I for one welcome it on this thread.

Having said that - seems very odd. Why would AE do it that way? If they can't recraft properly, then they should say so upfront. It's amazing that a company that prides itself on workmanship would even consider a shoddy glue job like this.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd think an insole like superfeet could take up enough volume to achieve a better fit. Worth a try for shell at that price, I'd think. You don't have anything to lose, unless you can exchange for a different size easily.

The simplest solution is usually the best and I thank you, can't believe I didn't think of that *insert bangs head against wall here* . I do have a shoebox of insoles from my past- green Superfeet, SOLES, plus factory insoles from shoes and boots over the years. I left out a small detail, I wear custom orthotics now. I put in the worthless factory insoles that were in my LL Bean Cresta Hikers and bingo the Dalton now fit like a champ. Thank You!!

blsing

Reaction score

Definitely appreciated-have you contacted AE? Specifically, try mentioning the details about the lack of stitching.

jdsher

Reaction score

I'm not seeing any sale when I search Amazon for Allen Edmonds Is there a special link or something?

When you go to Amazon, type Allen Edmonds and you'll see their shoes pop up. Underneath each choice it'll say something about free 2 day shipping and "one more promotion". If you click on that you'll see the 25% off of $75 orders. The discount will show up when you check out.
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics