• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmcallister

Reaction score
I call upon you AE enthusiasts to try and see the new golf shoe styles that are coming out. Can't wait until March 28th haha.
jjr4884 - I saw the email this morning advertising the Jack collection. It should be interesting.

Didn't get any orange laces last night but what do you think about the green?

Olifter

Reaction score

Ordered a pair of tbe Boca Ratons and had a feeling they were seconds. I drove an hour and a half to the nearest store and they confirmed. The stitching on the back oth both shoes was off center and crooked. (I also didn't care for the 333 last ) I picked out a pair of Bourban strands and will arrive tomorrow.(excited) This was disappointing as my first ae purchase. They put to much emphasis on quality to send seconds. What do you think about the bourban strand as a first Brown dress shoe ?

I think you'll be happy with them. Nice choice.

jjr4884

Reaction score
jjr4884 - I saw the email this morning advertising the Jack collection. It should be interesting.

Didn't get any orange laces last night but what do you think about the green?

Those look great. Funny you mention it, i'm wearing the bourbons today with the orange laces. Green laces will be worn tomorrow for my participation in "wear something green" for St. Patty's day.

I'm wondering what the soles are going to be like. They say you can wear these on and off the course, so my guess is they aren't going to be spiked soles? idk...

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New NYC store opening on 43rd and 6th next week. Hope they have a percentage-off promo. That will be a good time to pick up the Cambridge. Teetering between burgundy and black.

Someone here had used black polish on the burgundy to produce black cherry. I'm tempted.

I compared the newly acquired brown shell Patriots with my Alden cigar shell LWB and #8 shell LHS after I got home today. The AE brown shell looks pretty much the same as Alden's cigar shell. I wore the Patriots around the office for a little bit during the day and it already feels like it has loosened up a little, so I'm definitely very happy with the score.

Color comparison: #8 LHS (Left), cigar LWB (Center), brown shell Patriot (Right)

Patriot (R) next to BB LHS (L)

The Patriot (9D) is slightly shorter and wider than the LHS (8.5D)

Thank you so much for posting that, I have been waiting a long time for someone to do so!! And great looking shoes in your collecton. Makes me want to go back and try loafers one more time and see if my narrow heels will play well. I'll never pick up a pair of shell loafers as cheap as all those picked up on here lately!

Bucksfan posted back about a year ago a comparison of AE brown shell with C&J PTB brown shell which Nick Horween calls Dark Cognac. And they were pretty much identical. http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/3180#post_5254491

I have the C&J Marlow and it is identical in color to the 744 boot that many refer to as cigar. So it does look like the Alden Cigar, C&J Dark Cognac, and AE Brown are all pretty close in color. I have seen a few pictures where the Alden Cigar is a bit lighter in color but there are often variations in shell color when you get into the brown family.

So it is looking like the AE brown\Alden cigar fits in the rainbow perfectly between Dark Brown and truffle:

My Alden Ravello chukka's lack a lot of red color and the AE walnut Dundee's are a slightly different hue than the rest of my walnut shell. And the 2 chukka's are almost identical in color, I would have thought whiskey was a closer match for AE walnut. The Alden Ravello are on the right. Over time all 3 of my walnut shell have taken on a different hue. The Alden's will make a trip to NYC for commando soles soon and when they get back a hit or 2 of Saphir Cordovan polish to see if I can bring out a bit more red.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
Do I see a Randolph (left) and a Patriot (right) there?
The shoe on the left is the Alden for Brooks Brothers Leisure Handsewn. Since the Patriot is obviously gunning after the LHS, I took a few pics with them together. So far I'd say AE did a good job in creating a LHS alternative.
I compared the newly acquired brown shell Patriots with my Alden cigar shell LWB and #8 shell LHS after I got home today. The AE brown shell looks pretty much the same as Alden's cigar shell. I wore the Patriots around the office for a little bit during the day and it already feels like it has loosened up a little, so I'm definitely very happy with the score.
Color comparison: #8 LHS (Left), cigar LWB (Center), brown shell Patriot (Right) Patriot (R) next to BB LHS (L) The Patriot (9D) is slightly shorter and wider than the LHS (8.5D)
Thank you so much for posting that, I have been waiting a long time for someone to do so!! And great looking shoes in your collecton. Makes me want to go back and try loafers one more time and see if my narrow heels will play well. I'll never pick up a pair of shell loafers as cheap as all those picked up on here lately!
Thanks! The Patriot and the Alden Van last feel about the same to me in the heel area. I gather that these loafers are supposed to have a narrower heel, so if you haven't tried them, maybe give them a shot.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For another example of Horween's brown shell, below are a pair of Carmina's in cognac:

TheSizzle

Reaction score
For another example of Horween's brown shell, below are a pair of Carmina's in cognac:

Actually, I don't believe Meermin uses Horween shell.

Edit: Those look great. I misread it and thought they were Meermin, not Carmina.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads