1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ayoungs

ayoungs Well-Known Member

Long time lurker, seldom poster. I very much enjoy the thread! I'll share the beginning of my MTO story. I wanted to introduce my brother to AE, so I decided I'd take Paul up on his MTO offer, since my brother wears a 16EEE. Many thanks to Paul for this wonderful offer!
    I was "blown away" by the great customer service, since I wanted to surprise my brother, they're going to send him Samples in 16EEE, to ensure a good fit, then he can pick out what he wants. I'm getting them for my brothers birthday. The customer service rep Allison was very accommodating, she'll even set me up with a factory tour. I also took the shot at getting a custom pair of Winter Park's (I've been admiring them and want a super comfort shoe) in Merlot made up for me, that I'll pick up when I'm at the factory. It'll be about 8 weeks, and I'll let people know how it all worked out, and take some pics of mine, and my brothers shoes/boots.

1 person likes this.
  2. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

Those are really nice. I, too, regret not partaking of this opportunity.

3. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

So far, I only have the AE full toe shoe trees and they seem to fill the toe area pretty well, either all the way in or at the most, there's no more than 1/4" from the very tip, even in my 5-last shoes/boots. It appears from the above post, that the combo-trees are somewhat slimmer and can fill narrow shoes deeper. Then again, being slimmer, wouldn't they fill the sidewalls less?

Overall, what are the main advantages/disadvantages to full vs combo? I could still use at least half dozen sets and while I like the full AE trees, the NR Woodlore Combos for half the price is somewhat appealing. Is it worth twice as much for the AE's?

4. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

If you look closely on the Woodlore box, it states Woodlore, is an Allen Edmonds Company. I have a $9.90 pair in my $650 Cordovan Townley's if that helps you make up your mind :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

I'm fairly sure that almost ALL cedar shoe trees that are made in America are Woodlore (i.e. AE). At least all the commonly-found ones are.

1 person likes this.
  6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Most of my shoe trees are Woodlore from the Rack.

1 person likes this.
  7. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Neumoras. Wish they came in merlot

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

What color is that?!?!

9. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

They're brown; pic is a bit washed out due to office lighting

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Come on, don't start that rumor again. It started on a different forum last year and even spread here before it got shut down by AE's CEO, who said the Rack was the only Nordstrom store that ever sells seconds. We even had a Nordstrom exec post on this thread and, essentially, laugh at the notion that Nordstrom would ever knowingly sell AE seconds in light of the lengths it goes to maintain its reputation for outstanding customer service and its no questions returns/exchange policy.

1 person likes this.
  11. jicjoc

jicjoc New Member

Any comments on the New Orleans shoe?

Also getting boat shoes - toss up btw the Port Washington and Shortstop. Again any comments?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I like the New Orleans, but I believe it is on the 2 last, so make sure it fits your foot. As far as the boat shoes, I vote for the Shortstop. I really liked that shoe as soon as they announced it. If I didn't have a pair of Eastports, I would have been all over the Shortstop. Just my .02, not worth much more than that. Chris

13. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

I like the short stop better out of those 2.

As for the New Orleans, it is an interesting shoe, if you already have a nice rotation, it could be a nice addition

14. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Hey Everyone. Just bought this sweet looking belt last night to match my brown Santoni Quentins, also shown below. Good combo? If not easy to tell from pics they are essentially (IMO) a perfect match...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Is that the bourbon colored belt? Pretty unique color, but looks like a good match.

16. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Yeah, the bourbon colored Manistee (realizing now i left that out of OP). I didn't think I'd find a perfect match but got lucky with these, even the dark border matches the Santoni toe box shade.

I guess the tricky part now is finding a polish that will keep the shoes very close to existing color.

17. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

Thank you tampa! Appreciate it!

18. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

Do I go for the McAllister in Walnut or Chili? I'm afraid the Chili might be too red, yet the Walnut too light. [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

There is the Rochester Shoe Tree company too, but not sure if they are made in America, but they are based in New Hampshire:

http://www.rstco.com/

New ones will crease, but those are pretty severe creases on those shoes. I would have passed on those.

20. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

I prefer the Chili of those two. IMO more versatile since will go with navy/charcoal slacks as well as lighter colors (khaki, etc). The walnut will be a bit too light to go with some of the darker pants.

If too red is your worry you can easily find a neutral polish or slightly darker polish that will deepen it a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.