1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Just curious to know where on the AE website you saw this? My SA also claimed that the Neumok runs small. I have two pairs of Neumoks, and I have not found this to be true. They fit essentially the same as other #5 last makeups. The difference is in the leather. Lined calfskin will fit snuggly compared to the unlined suede or "rough" leather of the Neumok. The Neumok will also stretch just a little bit more.

For reference, my AE collection includes the Park Avenue, Strand, Strandmok, Ridgeway, and two pairs of Neumoks.

2. Shavely Manden

Shavely Manden Member

So I just picked up a pair of Fifth Streets and was a bit miffed to find some major manufacturing defects in the right boot -- specifically, one of the top eyelets is only half-inserted and there's a funny crease in the leather on the side, as though the shoe was put together a bit wonky. I'd ordered them from the AE website, since I couldn't be bothered to go downtown, but now I'm wondering whether I should email or call their main CS or just take the shoes down to the Boston store. Anybody have experience with their Boston store / would their stores exchange something bought on their website?

3. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

If you go to the AE website and click on casual shoes then the Neumok's.. I choose the snuff suede, if you read the 2nd comment on the first page one person says it.. Then go through a few more pages it's mentioned again.

4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

I can strongly say that most, if not all stores, will exchange shoes purchased from the AE website. They are one company and if you do receive any flack I would just push a little.

The only thing issue I can see you encountering is the lack of inventory for boots. I have noticed that in two of my NYC stores, they do not carry many boots- specifically the Fifth Streets.

Good luck!

5. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Both the Financial district and newbury street stores have great sales associates. It does get a bit busy in both stores, but if you're patient I'm pretty sure they'll help you out in the matter.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'd trust the comments on sizing on this thread significantly more than any of the reviews on the AE site. I do not have anything from the rough collection, but I've heard it oft repeated that they tend to run a little larger than their calfskin counterparts on the 5 last.

7. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I agree with this. I wear 11.5D in almost all models, and I've found that my snuff neumoks are a tad large. Can I live with it? Absolutely, but there's definitely a difference between an 11.5D in these and an 11.5D Strand/McCallister/Jefferson/Dalton/etc.

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

+1

I would avoid the Natick store but Ann and David at the Newbury St location are both top notch

9. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    [​IMG]
    I was notified that my book should be arriving within a week or so. Looking forward to it.

10. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Well, I guess I am one of the 1/2% percenters - who moved from my home town of Newport Beach and great shopping to the western slopes of the Rocky Mountains in Montana. And I am not alone up here. Many of us (less than a million in the whole state) wear AE shoes, dress boots, and hiking boots - because of the lasting quality and comfort they give to through all of the elements of weather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Allen Edmonds has another book for sale on their website - The Allen Edmonds Story. It is a great read and it gives a lot of history about the company I did not know. It is a bit dated as it was published before the current ownership group came in, but still a great book in my opinion.

Chris

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Those are great photos - I am about ready to pack up and head to Montana. My brother-in-law went to college in Missoula and said it was a great place to live. Chris

13. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Chocolate brown Williams with AE socks [​IMG]

14. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I too have been on the quest for leeds. I am between sizes (11.5-12), and for this last, I need the 12.

I also recommend sizing up in length instead of width as the Leeds last is significantly shorter that other dress shoe lasts from my experience.

Just my $.02

15. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Being on the market for the navy blue plain toe bluchers, I pulled the trigger for the "Stewart"--an AE's make-up for Canvas Land's End. Given that AE does not often makes exclusive make-ups for other brands (and by this I mean the versions that would not be available on the AE website) I was curious to check them out. My benchmark for comparison was Alden's navy suede PTB made for Frans Boone (http://www.fransboonestore.com/store/alden/alden-x-frans-boone-navy-suede-plain-toe-on-flex-sole), which is not available in my size.

[​IMG]

I got my AE last night, and while they are by all means decent shoes, they left me somewhat underwhelmed. I wish the uppers were a bit darker, similar to Alden's washed blue suede, and the sole edges were brownish rather than tan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please pardon my lacing--I had just a few minutes to try them on at work last night

Haven't decided whether I'll keep them, but earlier today I stumbled upon a pair of 1880 Loake's on Herring's website (http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...6477&selectedsizeid=9&selectedfitid=2&stype=1), that are on sale at 30% off and look almost identical to the Alden's model I referred to, apart from the metal eyelets:

[​IMG]

I know Loake doesn't get an overwhelming support on SF, but I found their 1880 line to be very decent, and it's a general consensus that there's much less variation in the quality of the suede between manufacturers than in the quality of the calf.

I wonder what you, gentlemen, think about the navy suede Stewarts ($295) vs. Alden (~$500) vs. Loake ($190 on sale; $310 retail, assuming no import tax). FWIW, Lands' End does back up AE shoes with their life-time warranty, which is terrific!

16. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Totally a personal preference on this one. Keep in miond though that as far as the trim color issue it would be very simple to buy some chili edge dressing from AE and darken it up.

17. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I ended up sizing down 1/2 size for my Neumoks, similar to the other shoes on the 5 last, and went one width up. I have size 9 1/2 as measured at a local AE store, and my 9E Neumoks fit just great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7_rocket [​IMG]

posted this in the suede thread but figured I'd get a faster response here. I read on the AE website that the the Neumoks run a half a size smaller than the regular shoes in this last such as the fifth avenue, park avenue and strands..

Can you guys shed some light as I'm gonna pick these guys up for casual wear

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  18. willsgillen

willsgillen Well-Known Member

Below is a pic of the style number. I'm not sure I see anywhere on the shoe that looks like it may have been merlot at some point. The inside of the shoes is still pretty new looking and the soles don't have a ton of wear. Also a pic of them in the wild!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Hmm I think i'll try a half size smaller than my fifth avenue's just in case

20. maxmaxmaxmax

maxmaxmaxmax Active Member

There's a Toronto Allen Edmonds store? I just looked at allenedmonds.com and there are no AE stores / outlets listed for Ontario. I did a search for allen edmonds bayview village and all I came up with was this thread.

Please let me know more about this Toronto AE store...

Thanks,

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.