Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Since I am the only walnut color, I would say I would do bourbon to make it easier on everyone, and may be interested in cappuccino shell if there is an option. thx!

2. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I'd take the Evanston or soho. Thanks for looking into this.

3. GOP Shoe Guy

So tonight I received my 2 pairs I ordered during this current 2 for $250 sale. I got the Players in Walnut and the Red White and Blue Macneil. Being I am the GOP Shoe Guy, I had to have the Macneil, since this is the shoe that was made for President George W.Bush when he visited Allen Edmonds. I opened the box and inspected both pair closely, to find no issue. Then I began to lace them. The Players first, no issue at all. Then the Macneil. The Players laced perfectly, then the Macneils; not so perfect. You can see the problem from the pic. The left shoe was built with the proper symmetry. Back they go to AE. That is really to bad. They were the last pair in my size, and I would really love to have a pair. Oh well.

[​IMG]

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

If it isn't too late I would order some Mahogany #9 also. I use cognac on my walnut calf and shell AE's. For the calf (McAllister walnut) I use straight cognac in the hopes that it will take some of the orange tint out and darken them but it hasn't in a year and a half. With my 3 walnut shell I add tan\yellow to it using a toothpick to mix and match to keep the original color. I do not own the Bourbon in any shoe so can't say for sure, but have a feeling if you start with some Mahogany which is reddish brown and thin it out some with cognac you might come up with a perfect match. But just a guess without seeing it IRL.
    For a bit over 10 years now all I wear is wool socks, and most of them are smartwool. They do have some patterns and textures other than the bland boring ones, you have to hunt for them though. I will never go back to cotton and can't even imagine it. Darn Tough socks made in Vt. are good too but also limited in selection and best used with boots. With boots I don't care so much how my socks look, staying warm and dry is much more important to me. With shoes I often wear smartwool Diamond Jim, etc. Also some BB wool dress socks however they are for summer use. Where I currently live it is at least 20 degrees colder than Upstate NY let alone NYC which would be at least a 30 plus degree differential in the month of January. Spent many years in the tropics and all over the world and US. After awhile you do acclimate no matter where you are. But eventually as you get older the cold hurts, period. After 6 heat strokes and passing out more than 20 times from heat exhaustion I'd rather be a bit cool than sweat uncontrollably. Unless I'm dragging a deer or packing elk quarters out of the woods or, erh, ahh, never mind the other occasion. Good luck and find some decent wool socks and I think you will be much happier IMO.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

5. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

6. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

Does anyone know if the Clifton is discontinued? I am going to grab a couple of pair during the 2 for $250 discontinued sale. I am going to get the Mcgraw in Walnut but I need a suggestion for the other pair. I want a dark brown lace up, everything I have that laces up are all the Walnut color. Any suggestions that would be included in the ongoing sale would be much appreciated.

7. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

8. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Will they let you return 1 and not charge you "regular" price on the players? I've asked twice already with these 2-for deals and the answer I got was that you can always replace the second pair if you find something else, but if you return them your first pair will be charged at regular price.

9. hexagon

hexagon Member

I was told by AE shoebank that the Cliftons are not discontinued. Have you considered the Madison Aves?

10. GOP Shoe Guy

My guess is that I will have to exchange the Macneils for something else on the list. I am very willing. Just disappointed I can't have the Macneils. After seeing them I really liked them.

11. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

[​IMG]
    i am a bit tempted by this one.
    but could someone tell me what colour trousers with it?

12. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

13. nathanl

nathanl Senior member

I just bought these exact same Cliftons from ShoeBuy last week - they were drop-shipped and delivered straight from Allen Edmonds.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

14. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Navy. I wore my grey Mctavish with white chinos, but they are more casual

15. nathanl

nathanl Senior member

I also bought them via Amazon (a "sold by ShoeBuy" case) so I could use Amazon gift cards I had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.